ME-BFMasserME262

Disable Window Controller Axis for Rudder Pedals

Hello,

I bought rudder pedals some time ago, and it was working great in BoX. I set up the rudder mappings so that I control plane rudders with my pedals, and its working great.

The problem is (now, I didnt have it before (I think?)... I dont remember actually if this happened before.) when I want to set any other option/control. For example, if I want to map the "Y" key from keyboard for "toggle bombs-mode" control, I can't, because the pedal interferes. I click the in-game settings mapping so I can press the 'Y' button to set it in the game, but the pedal, with its ghost inputs, interferes and I cant chose the 'Y' key, but instead its set the pedal rudders Z axis. The problem that causes this (I think) is that the rudder pedals has no driver that came with it. I just pluged it in my PC (USB), Windows recognize it... and voila, I can play with it. But I can't calibrate or map it correctly.

If I go to "windows controllers" settings, I see the following:

1832646970_DesktopScreenshot2020_01.18-09_40_17_12.png.ceaaa08ef46d2f82fbab0230da5b08cf.png

Then I press "Propiedades" (properties/settings, idk how is it in english) and this comes up:

840878604_DesktopScreenshot2020_01.18-09_40_26_53.png.4172a96e25b18cdc4213dca32bb1394d.png

But its not static, everything is completely crazy. This is another screenshot I took few secs later:

1647980011_DesktopScreenshot2020_01.18-09_40_39_37.png.dc7b90197e97bf905a18c5d8604649c7.png

And it goes on. What I need is the "Rotación Z" axis (as you can see in the image, its almost centered: which is great, because that's my actualy rudder pedals input!), that is the one I actually calibrated and works fine (also buttons 1 and 2, the brakes are buttons...). But the others, they all goes crazy, and are detected by IL2 or any other game, while I actually don't have any "Eje Z", "Rotación X" and so on, just "Rotación Z" axis.

Just to add something and summarize: Its not a potentiometer problem (I think), because the axis for the real pedals (the "Rotación Z" one) works great, I can use the pedals in the game, and it works perfectly when I "fly". The problem is that the pedal just have 1 axis and 2 buttons, but windows detects 6 axis, and I receive ghost inputs from axis that doesn't actually exist.

I did some google searching, but I actually didn't find anything useful. Is there any way I can "disable" or "mute" the axis I don't need? or maybe a "generic driver" that I can download and install for the pedals? I dont really know.

Sorry for the bad english,

Thanks in advance.

What type of pedals are these? Do they have their own configuration software that might help with this?

no, they dont. Type of pedals...? Well man I don't know, they are "hand made" and didn't come with any software.

You could try disconnecting the pedals temporarily while you set everything else up. The issue very likely is due to a dodgy potentiometer in the pedals causing 'jitter'. IL-2 GB probably filters this out enough so you don't notice it in normal use, but still detects it during control setup. 

53 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

You could try disconnecting the pedals temporarily while you set everything else up

This is possible. However, I dont want to disconnect it every time I set up controls in IL2 game... Also, it affects other games as well (not that Im a "gamer" anyway, I play just few games), in which ghost inputs affects the gameplay and make games unplayable. As I stated in my original post, its not a problem about the potentiometer of the pedal axis (well, I THINK), since its working great and give me no problem at all (I checked it in-game, where you can set dead zones and such for each axis, I can check the pedals doesnt cause any "jitter at all" nor produces any unintentional wrong input).

I guess the thing needs a driver/controller to "kill" "mute" or "disable" the ghost inputs. As it is now, Windows recognize it as a controller (like a Xbox or a PS4 controller maybe), and it expects the controller to have some "X" axis, "Y" axis and so on. It doesnt know that my joystick is actually a rudder pedals with only 1 axis, thus making the X and Y axis and other axis "ghost".

Im not sure If Im explaining myself correctly.

Thanks for the input anyways, Im still fighting with this problem

Looks to me like you will have to check the connections, there might be a loose wire in there somewhere. A bad contact, or maybe some dirt.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

But its not static, everything is completely crazy. This is another screenshot I took few secs later:

1647980011_DesktopScreenshot2020_01.18-09_40_39_37.png.dc7b90197e97bf905a18c5d8604649c7.png

This picture show some problems:

You say that "USB analog" is a rudder pedal, a device that need 3 axes in USB controller.

But have a controller with 13 buttons and 8 axes - so the 5 axes unused are "hanging" in the air, with you see all crazy in the test screen,

and when go to game controls UI assign some command this spurious signals are detected first and prevent you type or press another button.

First, try do the Windows calibration for you "USB analog", may this help a bit.

If not, this "USB analog" suggest that you pedal have a Arduino with generic HID sketch as firmware, inappropriate for the use in pedal.

If you did the flash in Arduino,  try edit this sketch leaving only 3 axes and flash again, or if buy this pedal ask for the guy that make.

Can identify what Ardunio was used (if is the case)?

14 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

This picture show some problems:

You say that "USB analog" is a rudder pedal, a device that need 3 axes in USB controller.

But have a controller with 13 buttons and 8 axes - so the 5 axes unused are "hanging" in the air, with you see all crazy in the test screen,

and when go to game controls UI assign some command this spurious signals are detected first and prevent you type or press another button.

First, try do the Windows calibration for you "USB analog", may this help a bit.

If not, this "USB analog" suggest that you pedal have a Arduino with generic HID sketch as firmware, inappropriate for the use in pedal.

If you did the flash in Arduino,  try edit this sketch leaving only 3 axes and flash again, or if buy this pedal ask for the guy that make.

Can identify what Ardunio was used (if is the case)?

thanks for your input.

I have ni idea what arduino has inside (if has one at all), but your point is very possible. I gonna ask tomorrow the guy who make the pedals.