Sign in to follow this  
Rjel

Skinners and skinning

A few weeks ago, I saw someone here mention in a thread about a historic airplane skin for BoX something about the “skinners” who painted the real plane back in the day. I never really heard the term used in that way other than in the IL-2 world. Other than mule skinners or skinners who removes a carcasses skin. Certainly not in relation to an actual painter or paint job. Even other sims refer to them as repaints as often as not.

So, it got me wondering how the term came to be used as it is in this community and the pervious IL-2 world. Does anyone know how and why, when and where?

I think it's more a computing term.  The first time I saw it was in the late 90's when describing repaints of character models in the game Quake.  

Skinner actually is the wrong term for someone who creates textures for CG assets.

As skinning in CG describes a process that is needed in rigging.

A texture for a character, vehicle or similiar can be or is called a skin when it comes to computer games though.

A suitable term for someone who creates skins would be texturer or texture artist.

in blender or 3dsmax skin its a technical term for bitmap, i guess due to its similitude of working with leather to make a volume

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2020 at 4:44 PM, Feathered_IV said:

I think it's more a computing term.  The first time I saw it was in the late 90's when describing repaints of character models in the game Quake.  

That makes sense I think. 

Thx everyone for the replies. Thx too to raaaid for the usual, straight to the point clarity only you possess. You always cut right to the heart of an issue with a unique point of view few of us are capable of. 

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 2:16 AM, raaaid said:

in blender or 3dsmax skin its a technical term for bitmap, i guess due to its similitude of working with leather to make a volume

It absolutely is not. "Skin" is not a "technical" term of anything with regard to 3D applications or workflow.

It's a generic term that stuck, that is all.

The "technical" term is "texture"

We don't typically use the word "skin" at all in 3D.