BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XIII

Good afternoon.

I'm getting used to writing you these small articles, I already know many of the names; I can even imagine how and where there will develop a discussion. I think this is very good. Some of you will disagree with our decisions, ideas and concepts many times. Someone will agree and someone will not, alas. This is inevitable, as well as the release, but on the other hand if it didn't happen there would be no audience who will fight with us for the success of the project later. This is only possible if you will sincerely enjoy what we make and how we planned it. Your help will be needed when new participants will join to this community. They will bring thousands of questions, statements, opinions, videos, rumors and start hundreds of disputes. Only with a group of like-minded people will we be able to cope with this and really create a product known to the world. Flight simulators are a sophisticated game system, manuals for them don't fit on one page and small tutorials don't help the true beginner. The most valuable help is the guidance of more experienced community members. I believe in this approach and so I write for you these small articles.

Today is Friday, but I'm not in the office. I'm at the airfields along with some of the guys. We're shooting a short film which we promised to you earlier, the weather finally allowed us to make this. Alexander (BlackSix) will publish this article for you and he will try to answer your questions. Wish us luck.

The images of ground equipment for the project:

PzKpfw_III_Ausf_L_1.jpg PzKpfw_III_Ausf_L_2.jpg PzKpfw_III_Ausf_L_3.jpg

Full news

You can ask new questions in this thread

Thanks again for the update.

I'm looking forward to the dogfight vid when it's ready.

I liked the last answer - sounds like a wide range of players will be accommodated. A straight out sim doesn't work so well for me these days.

LOVE how those tanks are looking.

FIRST!!!!

Thanks for taking time to update over a Holiday Weekend.

Glad you are suggesting people make their own decision about using such things as "level auto flight". Consistent with previous Diary response on "Dead is Dead" issue. Seems to me, over the last ten/twenty years (I was born in WWII), people are becoming less inclined to exercise a very simple and low level of willpower. I cringe every time i read (on many forums) "Please don't let me be able to do (whatever)" type posts.

• Upvote 1

I liked the last answer - sounds like a wide range of players will be accommodated. A straight out sim doesn't work so well for me these days.

LOVE how those tanks are looking.

Agreed, same here!

Thanks for the update and continued communication here!

S!

Thanks for the update. Short and informative. What struck my eye was the low resolution look on the PzIII Ausf. L compared to the T-34 shown in an earlier post. WIP for sure, but looked so washed out and less detailed. Have a good weekend all :)

S!

Thanks for the update. Short and informative. What struck my eye was the low resolution look on the PzIII Ausf. L compared to the T-34 shown in an earlier post. WIP for sure, but looked so washed out and less detailed. Have a good weekend all :)

Are you sure? It looks about the same (very nice) detail level to me. Perhaps it's the colours, the last one had green paint peeking peeking through the winter whitewash, making it look more "alive".

I think we'll start to show you high resolution screens of final models in the near future. Now it's all WIP.

You use the same method to model wheels like MG did before. Really good to see. Thanks.

I think we'll start to show you high resolution screens of final models in the near future. Now it's all WIP.

Can't wait for that... These tanks are already looking sweet. :)

Thanks for the news, much appreciated, as always. Keep on rocking guys! :good:

Foobar - just out of interest, what method is that? And is it the one used in Cliffs or 1946?

Good news! B)

Off topic:

What happened to the topic were the developers/3D modellers present themselves to the audience?

I want to reread it but it seemed to be disappeared.

Thanks for the update. I am glad to see information about the Oculus Rift. If the designers can make it work It will take game immersion to levels never imagined.

Thanks for the update!

That tank looks like a very inviting target!

10) Will the "cheat" device for auto level flight make for all aircraft as in RoF or your decision will be more complex? If such device was installed on the aircraft or the crew had more than one person (i.e. a second crew member theoretically could control aircraft) then this device will be present and on the single-pilot airplanes this device will not be present.

In addition to the simulator it's also a game. And it has to be comfortable. Imagine that phone call or knock on the door or something else requires your attention or if you are just tired to keep a hand on the control stick. Each time for all these questions, I'll answer the same way: if you personally for yourselves want more complexity then just don't use such assistants. But you cannot demand to prohibition enjoy for all users for this idea.

I can't number the times when my flight siming gets interrupted by real life! :)  Where possible I pass control over to my 8 year old son, but an auto fly button would be very useful when he is not available! Also it will give the opposition a good chance to get an easy kill! - "He never even saw me comming!"

Cheers!

Its nice to see there is interest in the Oculus Rift.  That hardware has the potential to give the most emmersive experience ever seen in a combat flight sim.   The flight sim developer that can apply this hardware and help the Oculus Rift developers fine tune the hardware/software capabilities will have a huge leg up on the competition.

Foobar - just out of interest, what method is that? And is it the one used in Cliffs or 1946?

Hi Jude,

it's a technique to save faces on wheels. Since english isn't my native language I'll try to explain by the attached images. The wheels are made as simple cylinders with caps made out of planes. The rounds on the wheel's front are cut off by alpha channel.

post-113-0-85477300-1364580311_thumb.jpg

post-113-0-71408500-1364580312_thumb.jpg

post-113-0-56218900-1364580313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foobar

S!

Actualy, PzIII and T34 are using same texture size, and while T34 is a bit bigger - PzIII have more dense texturing (pixels per sqare meter).

It's all up to forum image attach... One day we will post images from game engine in full resolution - you will see the difference :)

You use the same method to model wheels like MG did before. Really good to see. Thanks.

Actualy, it's standard approach.

Its nice to see there is interest in the Oculus Rift.  That hardware has the potential to give the most emmersive experience ever seen in a combat flight sim.   The flight sim developer that can apply this hardware and help the Oculus Rift developers fine tune the hardware/software capabilities will have a huge leg up on the competition.

I've tried the Oculus Rift at GDC. I will have my full review of what I experienced this weekend.

Jason

8) Which airfields will be on the BoS map. Can you already give us a list with the names?

We already have a list but we'll be updating it by the summer. We plan to make all the major airfields needed for historical accuracy of events of the battle. Some airfields such as Pitomnik will be made accurately even in terms of the location of ground structures.

I wonder which information is used to accurately create important airfields like Pitomnik. I am asking, because a few month ago, when I was working on a historical mission pack for Il-2, I was looking for aerial photos from 1942/43 that show Pitomnik, but I wasn't able to find any.

10) Will the "cheat" device for auto level flight make for all aircraft as in RoF or your decision will be more complex? If such device was installed on the aircraft or the crew had more than one person (i.e. a second crew member theoretically could control aircraft) then this device will be present and on the single-pilot airplanes this device will not be present.

In addition to the simulator it's also a game. And it has to be comfortable. Imagine that phone call or knock on the door or something else requires your attention or if you are just tired to keep a hand on the control stick. Each time for all these questions, I'll answer the same way: if you personally for yourselves want more complexity then just don't use such assistants. But you cannot demand to prohibition enjoy for all users for this idea.

???????????

Thanks for the update. . . 

I wonder if  one can set auto pilot, and then you could set what level of AI for the autopilot, or that might be cheating? But it'd be cool for those wanting to play bomber gunners or radar operators (once they get a theater with night fighters). 

10) Will the "cheat" device for auto level flight make for all aircraft as in RoF or your decision will be more complex? If such device was installed on the aircraft or the crew had more than one person (i.e. a second crew member theoretically could control aircraft) then this device will be present and on the single-pilot airplanes this device will not be present.

I hope they apply this for the WWV, that's a big thread going on . . .  and other IL-2 'cool' features that make the game enjoyable. 

I mean I like the answer, can't demand prohibition for all users to enjoy . . .

I hope the oculus rift takes off. I mean the video game industry has tried to release VR goggle's since the 1980's an none of them ever caught on, they were just novelties. And if they can fix the disorientation some people get . . . This disorientation can lead to other issues . .  . like nausea. 

Could it be possible in a future patch? (i.e. after the release?) I'm worried that the AG will negatively affect online play, as it did in the early versions of the original game.

I can't answer now it will depend on many factors.

I've tried the Oculus Rift at GDC. I will have my full review of what I experienced this weekend.

Jason

Nice...

???????????

Well, back in the early days of il2 you could dive straight down and then hit your level stab button just before impact, and you would retain all your speed but suddenly find yourself in level flight. I'm sure Oleg didn't foresee that particular usage of that feature, just as I'm sure that the auto-stabilizer being contemplated here will have uses that the developers do not anticipate.

I just have little confidence in this community: Someone out there is going to find a way to exploit it.

Edited by JG13Doggles

Thanks for the update!

I am agree about the autolevel, but I wish add a suggestion: The AUTOLEVEL could be turned off if someone else enters the bomber, with two or more crewmen it would be disabled ...

Well, back in the early days of il2 you could dive straight down and then hit your level stab button just before impact, and you would retain all your speed but suddenly find yourself in level flight. I'm sure Oleg didn't foresee that particular usage of that feature, just as I'm sure that the auto-stabilizer being contemplated here will have uses that the developers do not anticipate.

I just have little confidence in this community: Someone out there is going to find a way to exploit it.

I think that autolevel is fine in bombers, in fighters no, really...

It should also not be possible to use AUTOLEVEL if the airplane is no longer stable (well trimmed).

I think that are parameters that can be added without problems ...

Edited by Condor28

Nice update. Models and Textures are top notch once again. 

"to cut into pieces the pilot" (I'm a person with great imagination and such questions terrify me.)

To chop off bits of another mans aircraft using only your propellor sounds great.

To chop off bits of another man using only your propellor, not so!!

However, that comment did make me chuckle. :)

Edited by HippyDruid

rgr that - hilariously worded reply...that I could not have said better

I thought this was an excellent update. Good info provided. :good:

Y'see maybe it's just me because for me cheating is not even a thought.. as for that implementation.. I hope t6hat if level stabilizer is implemented it is in a historic fashion..

Two minor comments on the Panzer III texture (sorry, the scale modeller in me demands accuracy :ph34r:).

ausfL2.jpg

The front plate texture of your Panzer III isn't quite correct. Starting with Ausf. L a 20mm "Vorpanzer" (essentially - spaced armor) was added to the armor plate with the driver's visor and the bow MG. As you can see in the pic above both the driver's visor and the MG ball mount are not part of the added armor plate - instead there are holes cut into said plate. Add a bit of shadow to the respective areas of the texture and it should be fine. (PS: The same is true for the armor plate added to the gun mantle - which is missing on the tank photographed above. It was quite common for early production Ausf. L's not to have that particular plate as there was a shortage of steel at that time in Germany.)

Secondly it looks as if the texture of the return rollers (the three small "wheels" above the real wheels) shows a rubber ring that is too thin, but that may be a trick of the light in your screens.

• Upvote 1

Cheers for the explanation about the wheels,Foo.

This is all so much fun-and at the end of it we get a game to play!

Thanks for the update - and the answers given in this topic! Another good looking tank, and nice to know about the damage model for shot off parts.

"Will the bomb blast be modelled physically and historically correct?" - "Yes." - I find that a very bold statement. Would you mind sharing some details, any details? I'm really curious, as I think that's quite a complex thing to do, and I'm convinced it's necessary to cut some corners to make it work in a flight simulation game. How physically and historically correct will the bomb blast be?

Personally I never really bothered about the auto level feature, but I don't get why it would be so hard to make optional. Wouldn't that be just another boolean to read in and check? If it's possible to chat about the programming behind the options a bit, I'd love to hear a technical explanation. Or do you focus so hard on keeping the deadline that at this point it is simply inadvisable to change code that is already working?

Great news, thanks guys!

I am so stoked about the occulu rift, if it is possile to use the device for our simulator, it going to be the biggest leap of immersion since the 2d area. i didn't try the device myself yet, but if all is true what I hear this can truly become a game-changer, period (no pons intended ;)

Imagine, getting the feeling of actually sitting in a Messerschmitt, feeling the tight space and the altitide because of the 3D....

Aaalthough I'm a little afraid of the technical aspect. Since the BoS/RoF Engine is rather "old" and not as spread as the unreal engine for example, it may not necessarily be able to support the occulus. i'm not a brain though if it comes to technical issues so I guess I/we have to wait and see. On the other hand, a lot of issues comming up with other games such as movement as in fps doesn't have to concerne us :)

Looking forward to Jason's review!