wicieyy

Why Bodenplatte career is so bad? + AI sucks

Hello Folks,

Merry Christmas, first of all.

Here are some compliants against battle of bodenplatte career. I flew a couple of hours and I am really disappointed.

I am flying FW 190D9 in II gruppe of Jagdgeschwader 26

Difficulty settings:

Navigation markers on, alternate plane visibility on, warm engine on, autopilot, auto throttle, auto engine control, auto coolers  

flying on vr with stick, throttle and rudder pedals

So here we go. If you fly battle of bodenplatte career since very beginning, you will encounter 4 types of missions:

Intercept ground attack planes (10x)

Intercept recon plane (5x)

Intercept bombers (3x) 

Free hunt (6x)

That's all, you won't get any other. And I don't know if anything changes as I advance. I was wondering if I will met any P-38 or Spitfires late, but I hadn't. I belive P-51 will show later, as it is now available to select from the beggining

I was trying to fly bodenplatte career with BF-109K4, but it always ended running away to my airfield with bunch of spitfires or typhoons on my tails, while my teammates were dead (spitfires!)

I will list few of my sorties below with comments

18.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 6 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 1

18.12.1944: Intercept recon plane (IDK what type, never flew it as enemy always runs away) My AI: 1 | My AI losses: 0

23.12.1944: Free Hunt (Met Typhoons probably) My kills: 4 | My AI kills: 0 | My AI losses: 1

23.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 10 | My AI: 1 | My AI losses: 1

24.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 7 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 2

24.12.1944: Free Hunt (Met P-47 probably) My kills: 1 | My AI kills: 1 | My AI losses: 1

25.12.1944: Intercept bombers (B25 with Typhoons) My kills: 3 | My AI kills: 1 | My AI losses: 2

25.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 9 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 2

26.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 8 | My AI: 1 | My AI losses: 3

26.12.1944: Intercept recon plane (Not flew by me) My AI: 6 | My AI losses: 0

27.12.1944: Intercept recon plane (Not flew by me) My AI: 9 | My AI losses: 0

27.12.1944: Free Hunt (Met P-47 probably) My kills: 2 | My AI kills: 0 | My AI losses: 0

28.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 3 | My AI: 1 | My AI losses: 1

28.12.1944: Free Hunt (Not flew by me) My AI kills: 9 | My AI losses: 0

29.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 5 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 2

29.12.1944: Intercept recon plane (Not flew by me) My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 0

31.12.1944: Free Hunt (Not flew by me) My AI kills: 7 | My AI losses: 0

31.12.1944: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 8 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 2

start of battle of bodenplatte (you might been wondering if any enemy airfield will be attacked, but It wont)

02.01.1945: Intercept recon plane (Not flew by me) My AI: 5 | My AI losses: 0

02.01.1945: Intercept bombers (B25 with Typhoons) My kills: 4 | My AI kills: 0 | My AI losses: 1

04.01.1945: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 5 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 1

04.01.1945: Intercept bombers (B25 with Typhoons) My kills: 3 | My AI kills: 0 | My AI losses: 0

05.01.1945: Intercept ground attack planes (P-47 with cover made of Typhoons) My kills: 9 | My AI: 0 | My AI losses: 0

05.01.1945: Free Hunt (Not flew by me) My AI kills: 5 | My AI losses: 0

Sorties: 24

My kills: 116

My teammates kills: 32 (26 with flights without me) 

Teammates losses: 21 (0 with flights without me) [wounded, dead or captured]

Conclusions:

- Those donkeys shoot down 6 planes while flying with me

- They forget how to shoot while flying with me

- My AI K/D ratio is a joke

- 4 types of missions all the time

- Mission targets in the same area all the time

- Battle of bodenplatte not present

- If you fly 'Intercept ground attack plane' you know its p-47 with typhoons and where they are attacking

I'm on day 15.01.1945 at this moment, nothing has changed, my AI gets killed all the time, mission types don't change. I could randomly select QMB with P-47 and typhoons and it will be still the same

image.png.95a9d8968b2d024d60a352234ed4983a.png

• Upvote 2

I never liked Career mode, maybe for this reason.

I need desperately a Scripted Campaign for Dora/K4/Spitfire (please devs!), since they are more immersive and fun overall.

SC > Career mode, imo

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, wicieyy said:

I'm on day 15.01.1945 at this moment, nothing has changed, my AI gets killed all the time, mission types don't change.

Sounds pretty much like the actual LW experience for that point in time.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Sounds pretty much like the actual LW experience for that point in time.

Exactly. The day of Bodenplatte. Of the 100’s of plane sent out to attack. Most got lost and failed to return, many ithers shot down by friendly AA not accustomed to see that many friendly planes in the air. 
but I get the OP frustration, just a few expirienced pilots left, bad fuel. And not a lot of latest serviceable planes LW had everything against them. What we see in MP is pure fiction. 
old IL 2 got the best ai in any sim, but it took almost 20 years to get there. Many things lacking , proper communication , wingmen that actually do their job. Qmb and ai as opponents have been much better

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte

2 hours ago, wicieyy said:

They forget how to shoot while flying with me

I have noticed this for a while, an AI veteran can be killed easily(he flown 200 hrs), when fly with me, they almost impossible to kill enemy.
IIRC, it's not happen in v3.001(Kuban release).I'm very disappointed with bobp career.

• Upvote 1

Typhoons?

Are you playing the sim on a time machine? 

P47 as a recon bird?  Now that's odd, as it should be a P38, because that's about all the Lightnings were used for at that point.

Yes there is really A LOT of room for improvement for the AI. I whish 1CGS would take a year to get that to halfway decent Level. From my german careers it seems that the AI only can handle the 109. The rest of the planes are flown as if the pilots are lobotomized. Only in 109s they seem to be able to score kills. 190s don´t work and 262 neither. They are even incapable to bomb targets in 262s.

52 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Yes there is really A LOT of room for improvement for the AI. I whish 1CGS would take a year to get that to halfway decent Level. From my german careers it seems that the AI only can handle the 109. The rest of the planes are flown as if the pilots are lobotomized. Only in 109s they seem to be able to score kills. 190s don´t work and 262 neither. They are even incapable to bomb targets in 262s.

Had one mission in spit9 and encountered bunch of 109's or 190's not sure and single me262.

109's/190's were shooting ducks but 262 flew pretty good, i was on it while it dived in attacking ground targets than extending=>slowly gaining alt=>turning around and attacking again, he was almost untouchable.

I've got some lucky hits on him from distance but he survived and i destroyed him only upon landing since by luck his home AF was 2-3km away otherwise he'd get away alive.

While on him i knew he will attack again so i climbed to gain E advatage in order to catch him in dive, didn't help much and he avoided it nicely (that's when i got those lucky shots). 

Otherwise current AI costs game a lot of performance and limits scenery to small battles.....quite high price for useless AI that doesn't represent any threat (going alone vs. 4+ AI you don't need to check your six at all).

I'd rather have more challenging cheating AI that uses simple FM.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wicieyy said:

If you fly battle of bodenplatte career since very beginning, you will encounter 4 types of missions:

Intercept ground attack planes (10x)

Intercept recon plane (5x)

Intercept bombers (3x) 

Free hunt (6x)

Well, those were the mission types they were flying in those days. If you don't believe me, have a look at Axel Urbanke's book on III./JG 54. Ground attack missions come later in February / March 1945.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

You forgot the Attack airfields Missions?

And free Hunt could be renamed Patrol air or ground if you want.

Yes the live of a fighter pilot was very monotonous.

But they risked their live with each mission, you do not. Same with each take off and landing.

And if the pilots you encounter are not very good try to give them a better quality in the setting of you campaign. 

Try also to remove the markers of planes this makes game more challenging I think and in my experience.

One last remark try some multiplayer missions, human opponents should be more challenging

Have fun. It is a  game. :salute:

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, senseispcc said:

You forgot the Attack airfields Missions?

And free Hunt could be renamed Patrol air or ground if you want.

Yes the live of a fighter pilot was very monotonous.

But they risked their live with each mission, you do not. Same with each take off and landing.

And if the pilots you encounter are not very good try to give them a better quality in the setting of you campaign. 

Try also to remove the markers of planes this makes game more challenging I think and in my experience.

One last remark try some multiplayer missions, human opponents should be more challenging

Have fun. It is a  game. :salute:

Never seen attack airfield missions

I don't want rename anything - make different missions with other mission targets, don't make me do that

I am flying on highest available AI setting - but its spoiled, it raises to max enemy AI while lowering to min my allies' AI

Markers not present

Multiplayer is fine, but I am not a great fan flying 10 minutes to target and then fly back another 10 only to fight with someone for a minute

On 12/27/2019 at 4:43 PM, wicieyy said:

Multiplayer is fine, but I am not a great fan flying 10 minutes to target and then fly back another 10 only to fight with someone for a minute

If you get killed you don't need to fly back home, also if you fly allies you can get killed on half way to the objective or soon after takeoff  😉

I'm trying to play as a USAAF pilot in P-47 squadron, and I have similar feelings about career, she is weak and boring. Until now, I had no other mission other than attacks on ground targets, nothing else the command assigns to me, if not attacking the railway station, then bombing the troops.

In my last career, I shot down only 3 enemy fighters, and it's always on the verge of a miracle, because the P-47 at such a low summer height literally like He-111 at full load.

I also noticed that due to this set of missions the survival rate on some of our P-47 pilot flights is very low, my last pilot probably survived 3 weeks before he was shot down.

Edited by Bajzon20