MA_Goblin

Map for VR

Sorry if this has been posted before (couldn't find it when searching).
I'd like a map for VR mode. The current map when calling up the briefing covers the entire field of view and is poorly suited for navigation when, as I, flying in VR.
Is it possible to get the mini map as an option for navigation in VR?

Best regards.

There is a mini map (M). It all depends on your difficulty settings.

VR or flat screen doesn't matter for this topic. Everyone has the same options.

Has anyone suggested implementing a 3d map for VR in a form of a knee-pad? Or perhaps "where-a-knee-should-be"-pad. For me it could be just a polygon hanging in the air where your thigh would be, textured with the map.

Current map breaks the immersion if you want to fly VFR, and could be turned off completely in multiplayer, leaving VR flyers without any navigation aids. I tried substituting the girlfriend photo with a map fragment, but it's small and you have to edit it in photoshop each time, to include a correct region and to make it legible. Fine for leisure cross-country flying, unsuitable for MP.

CLoD devs said they reworked the map for VR so it's displayed when you look down, but no one yet played CLoD VR.

18 hours ago, sam_ogon said:

Has anyone suggested implementing a 3d map for VR in a form of a knee-pad? Or perhaps "where-a-knee-should-be"-pad. For me it could be just a polygon hanging in the air where your thigh would be, textured with the map.

Current map breaks the immersion if you want to fly VFR, and could be turned off completely in multiplayer, leaving VR flyers without any navigation aids. I tried substituting the girlfriend photo with a map fragment, but it's small and you have to edit it in photoshop each time, to include a correct region and to make it legible. Fine for leisure cross-country flying, unsuitable for MP.

CLoD devs said they reworked the map for VR so it's displayed when you look down, but no one yet played CLoD VR.

Yeah - this was done a long time ago - check out this thread (and specifically the earlier thread mentioned therein) for details: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56049-map-in-vr/?tab=comments#comment-855392

It worked really well back then - I hope/suspect it still does, but I haven't been able to get my IL-2/VR rig working for the last year and a half or so and haven't been able to try it lately.