Sign in to follow this  
FAW-Tromplamort

This site might be usefull for Normandy map

Remonter le temps

This site is from the IGN (Institut Géographique National)  the french national survey administration.

It covers the whole France and you can compare actual aerial photo with historical aerial photos taken just after world war II.

As an example I've attached a screenshot with the airfield of Saint-André-de-l'Eure wich is in the boudaries of the projected map.

On the 1947 photo you can still see the scars from allied bombing on the airfield.

It can help your map designers with the rendering of any city, airfield, harbour, railway station according to aerial photos taken from 1947.

And PLEASE dont put the Pont de Normandie at the mouth of the Seine as they did on Cliff of Dover map (it didn't existed in 1945!)

Saint-andre-de-l-Eure-1947-2019.jpg

Edited by FAW-Tromplamort
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Remonter le temps

This site is from the IGN (Institut Géographique National)  the french national survey administration.

It covers the whole France and you can compare actual aerial photo with historical aerial photos taken just after world war II.

As an example I've attached a screenshot with the airfield of Saint-André-de-l'Eure wich is in the boudaries of the projected map.

On the 1947 photo you can still see the scars from allied bombing on the airfield.

It can help your map designers with the rendering of any city, airfield, harbour, railway station according to aerial photos taken from 1947.

And PLEASE dont put the Pont de Normandie at the mouth of the Seine as they did on Cliff of Dover map (it didn't existed in 1945!)

Saint-andre-de-l-Eure-1947-2019.jpg

Please, did you PM @Jason_Willams or @Han, so they have some sources BEFORE they start the work on that map? So they can also avoid some urgency calls

for missing airfield info like it happened (Posted April 20) for Ruhrland? Thank you.

Already taken care of, guys. :) I'm working on gathering the airfield data for the project. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Already taken care of, guys. :) I'm working on gathering the airfield data for the project. 

Luke, get yourself a copy of this Heimdal book, if you don´t already have it. You will need it for the ALGs.

Beginning on June 6, the Allies were able to establish their first airfields in Normandy. Here we will discover the fifty airfields that played an essential role in the Allied victory in Normandy. The authors offer detailed descriptions, maps, and archival photos for each of the airfields. In addition to the technical plans for the runways, the squadrons assigned to the airfields along with more than one hundred color profiles of the aircraft are included.

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/gp/product/2840483270/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i0

519UCdmhNnL._SX354_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On 11/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, FAW-Tromplamort said:

Remonter le temps

Yes that one is really good. On the 1945 aerials you even can see the tank wreckage. Here the ill attempt of a company of SS-Panthers to attack Bretteville L´Orgueleuise on 9th of june. The canadians blasted them to hell.

Unbenannt.jpg

Edited by sevenless