Uufflakke

NVIDIA Image Sharpening

Anyone tried out yet the new option 'Image Sharpening' in NVIDIA control panel?

I wasn't aware of the option and gave it a try in IL2 BOS. Moved the slider fully to the right to see wat difference it would make at max. setting.

It does make a difference. To be honest I don't know if 'sharpen' is the right word. I prefer to call it 'crispy'. At least af max. setting.

NVIDIA.jpg.9140e8738c31e5a0c5de13e5a30481bf.jpg

As the effect doesn't show up in the screenshots I had to simulate it in a crude way with the 'Sharpen' option in GIMP.

In game the difference is much better to discern.

A without and with comparison:

Sharpen01.jpg

Sharpen02.jpg

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Thanks 1

No, but I am now. Thanks for sharing. 😁

I've been using it for a week or so and set to 0.5 for the sharpening. It seems to make a difference and with no performance hit in any games that I use it in. Worth a try for sure.

Been using it for a while now. I recommend 0.5 value for sharpening, as for Ignore Film Grain value... Do try it at 1.0 and report back your findings. Interested what will you make out of it. :)

S!

Have you tested it with landscape settings? Off, Sharp and Blurred, if it makes any difference? Especially concerning shimmering.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Been using it for a while now. I recommend 0.5 value for sharpening, as for Ignore Film Grain value... Do try it at 1.0 and report back your findings. Interested what will you make out of it. :)

I don't think the Film Grain value do anything to IL2 GB as the game does not use film grain itself.

It would have been nice if there were two Sharpening sliders: one for close distance and one for further distance. 0.5 or 0.6 is a good compromise to avoid too sharp/crispy Kuban mountains in the far distance.

3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Have you tested it with landscape settings? Off, Sharp and Blurred, if it makes any difference? Especially concerning shimmering.

I've tried with Landscape Filter set to Off but that is actually useless. Without any detailed landscape texture there is nothing for NVIDIA Sharpening to enhance.

Blur I've not tried but that option seems to reduce flickering anyway.

NVIDIA Sharpening works really good on the Kuban map. The rock formations and snow covered mountains become more rough and rugged when flying over them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

I am running landscape blurred, and NV CP sharpening at 0.5 / 0.17. Looks better than in-game sharpening IMHO.

3 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

I don't think the Film Grain value do anything to IL2 GB as the game does not use film grain itself.

I tried 1.0 on both sliders, and got white halos around objects and stuff. Same goes for contacts, might help with spotting.