SOLIDKREATE

[YouTube] COPPA Act - Channel deletion, sorry

Due to COPA I will be terminating my channel effective December 31st. I cannot afford the risk of being sued for up to $42,000.00 USD because YouTube got their PP spanked and want to
lay all the risk at the creators feet when THEY run Ad's on your video.

So download any tutorials I have made to date. I will keep making more until I can't anymore.

My Channel for Skinning Tutorials:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRXMYRkJ6ZeV5f1R-M7JYbQ

- Isaac

:sorry:

1 hour ago, SOLIDKREATE said:

Due to COPA I will be terminating my channel effective December 31st.

- Isaac

:sorry:

Sorry to hear that. What is that COPA ? Something special for the USA?

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

Sorry to hear that. What is that COPA ? Something special for the USA?

COPPA is the U.S. "Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act". I Fly Central has a good video on how it affects YouTube content creators.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 2

Child Online Protection Act. If YouTube or the FTC deem your channel targets kids you will be fined. Since I make tutorials they are ambiguous. So if they "feel" (exact term used) your targeting kids and one of THEIR Ad's makes it on your channel, YOU are liable for their mistake.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SOLIDKREATE said:

Child Online Protection Act. If YouTube or the FTC deem your channel targets kids you will be fined. Since I make tutorials they are ambiguous. So if they "feel" (exact term used) your targeting kids and one of THEIR Ad's makes it on your channel, YOU are liable for their mistake.

So sorry to hear that. But I can understand your decision. It ain´t worth it to take the risk.

The really messed up part is that my 10yr old son makes videos for games. He is going to be crushed. And he wont understand why we can't let him upload anymore.

You can go to settings in your channel and click that you dont make videos for kids.(Global settings for your whole channel)

No need to close your channel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

You can go to settings in your channel and click that you dont make videos for kids.(Global settings for your whole channel)

No need to close your channel.

So, that will fix it then? God I hope so. My son is autistic and would not understand. I will go and do that.  

*just noticed we live 40min apart 

Edited by SOLIDKREATE

31 minutes ago, SOLIDKREATE said:

So, that will fix it then? God I hope so. My son is autistic and would not understand. I will go and do that.  

*just noticed we live 40min apart 

Absolutely that will fix it, no need to panic, I have a Youtube channel with close to 4 million views, I investigated this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Absolutely that will fix it, no need to panic, I have a Youtube channel with close to 4 million views, I investigated this.

Ok. But heard that youtube will cut all ability to see any kind of profit from videos that are marked for younger viewers?

Just now, TunaEatsLion said:

Ok. But heard that youtube will cut all ability to see any kind of profit from videos that are marked for younger viewers?

Yes and one of the biggest Youtuber that used to make millions was a kid and dad reviewing toys.

1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Yes and one of the biggest Youtuber that used to make millions was a kid and dad reviewing toys.

There might be thousands of people getting fined $42k for making funny cat videos as well.  Even marking your channel for kids doesn't get you off the hook for fines.

My great youtube career just got cut off before it could start...

So I just read portions of coppa and they will go after you if you have "fast moving subjects , computer generated graphics in the video, or bright colors in the background" because that means that you are targeting children.  

Edited by TunaEatsLion
  • Sad 1

I don't even monetize my channel. I'm not looking to get rich. I just wanted to help out our community.

3 hours ago, steven197106 said:

That is really a shame. I thoroughly enjoyed watching his superb vids and learned a lot from them.

What I am still confused about is what exactly triggers the fine. If I make a video of me playing a game and mark it as 'Not made for children' but the FTC disagrees is that an automatic fine or do I have to drop an F bomb or do something else best not seen or heard by children to get fined?

What if I mark it as 'Made for children' then drop an 'F' bomb? I am not making money from my gameplay videos and people are saying that marking my videos as 'Made For Children' is safest but what if someone else in the game says something rude? Surely marking it as 'For children' then swearing is worse than a video that had no inappropriate content but I marked it as 'Not Made For Children' and the FTC disagrees.

47 minutes ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

What I am still confused about is what exactly triggers the fine. If I make a video of me playing a game and mark it as 'Not made for children' but the FTC disagrees is that an automatic fine or do I have to drop an F bomb or do something else best not seen or heard by children to get fined?

What if I mark it as 'Made for children' then drop an 'F' bomb? I am not making money from my gameplay videos and people are saying that marking my videos as 'Made For Children' is safest but what if someone else in the game says something rude? Surely marking it as 'For children' then swearing is worse than a video that had no inappropriate content but I marked it as 'Not Made For Children' and the FTC disagrees.

My understanding is that its about targeted advertising on minors, not content per se.

YouTube is doing this because it is illegal to gather identifiying information about minors, and the FTC is finally sort of cracking down on them doing it. Google, of course, collects information on everyone at all times, compulsively, and feeds that directly into their ad services. This includes kids, and therefore the algorithms tell Google that they should issue targeted ads to the kids watching channels - using targeting data that is illegal and shouldn't exist. 

So instead of not collecting information on minors, they're implementing the policies people are worried about. They're...still collecting the information, which is illegal, but they basically are making the argument that "We'll collect the information but we won't DO anything with it", and then putting the responsibility on individual channels to ensure that if kids watch their channel they won't be advertised to. Its like if PBS put Game of Thrones on after Sesame Street and told the showrunners to make sure that the kiddos didn't see anybody get turbomurdered.

For some insane reason the FTC said this was an OK way to handle it. Its kind a like if you stole a candy bar from the store, but told the cops you would not eat it. 

So, from all that I gather that flagging your channel as "for kids" will mean there is no targeted advertising. I'm not sure that it will introduce any content controls per se. 

Of course I could be completely wrong, the maze of arcane bullshit that is online regulation and terms of service will never cease to surprise me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

My understanding is that its about targeted advertising on minors, not content per se.

My understanding as well. What YouTube does in case it finds "videos for minors", is simply stop showing targeted adds along with the videos. As these targetetd adds are basically the only ones that make real money for a youtuber, it means worst case the youtuber will effectively get defunded. So, if he/she made the videos for profit, that's most likely then the end of it. But it's not that someone will go to jail. Or if they are sent to jail, they would have been sent to jail even before COPPA.

Just what I can make of it. But if you have a channel, check yourself...

3 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

The FTC actually states that you can't have "cats" or "pets"  or stuffed animals in the background in the videos.  By extension, they literally made the word "Pooh" an issue just like in China.

The more I learn about this, I think it only applies to monetized channels.