dog1

JU88 cruising temperatures

some questions i need help with 

1) if the engines are too cold will they seize in flight ?

2) what is the optimum cruising speed to avoid  damage .

3) climbing takes time  , what is the best speed for climbing and for how long before leveling . 

4) cowl flaps opened at 100 % at take off , reduced to 50 in flight in warm weather . still  the engines get damaged .

5) in winter the temperature of the engine goes below 60 dgrs  , will this cause damage ?  

Edited by dog1

1) I cannot see this to happen in cruise any more; you should keep those cowl flaps so closed as possible to keep the speed up anyway.

2) I run ~78% both RPM & Throttle which gives you the maximum continuous power.

3) You can run 30 mins climb power (~87% both). I try to keep the speed around 260-270 during the climb.

Edited by Hanu

both my engines are damaged 3-4 mn after take off  , height 300 mt , cowl flaps full open temperature below 60 dgrs , acceleration below 65 %  speed 200 kmhr . and still both engines  get damaged . i am not reducing prop speed . pitch zero . i am hardly 3-4 km away from my airfield and kaput . do the engines get damaged if below 60 dgrs for 2-3 mn ? i am not lasting 5mn in the air at 65 % acceleration 200 km hr  . If i dare to climb i have to increase the speed for 2-3mn then i level again because i'm worried the engines will seize and then  they seize anyway  !!

Edited by dog1