BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part XII

Good afternoon. Today's diary will be pretty short. This is due to the fact that we're working to complete a new version RoF which will be published soon. And of course, we have many tasks for BoS, so we didn't have much time for questions.

First, I want to respond to the great indignation of the English-speaking community of course. Your accusations are true and we do much more to communicate in Russian. Partly because it very easy for us to speak Russian and partly because the Russian-speaking part of the community is very quick to respond to diary and asks a big number of small and specific questions which we pretty easy to answer. But of course, we understand that we're working with an international group and we should not give rise to the impression that communication with us definitely need to know Russian. We'll try to pay more attention to everything. And Jason has been busy with ROF and other business matters and recently traveled to Russia to meet with us in person so he will also be more active in the English side as the project progresses.

The main news this week we started setting up the first pair of planes. The entire engineering department switched to this task and soon we'll be able to tell you about the results. I expect a lot of discovery because nobody has made these aircraft with such precision and with our approach. We're very fascinated and intrigued by the opportunity to get answers to the many questions we ask ourselves before starting this work. I'll definitely talk to you about what will happen.

I enclose a couple of pictures of the IL-2 cockpit. This is not the final stage, still in the process of being finalized. Next time, we'll show an external model.

IL-2_1.jpg IL-2_2.jpg

Full news

Thanks for the updates, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more screenshots though. ;)

Keep up the good work.

Have you thought about you in creating maps and "skins" of the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 to test the Russian planes in combat against German planes as in historical reality?
In Spain there is a big community of virtual pilots who like this.
bf109condorvsrataberges.jpg

Edited by III/JG52_Otto_Mas

very nice image, OTTO

early 109's vs moscas would be a joy, but i doubt ti will be made, specific versions for both fighters would be needed, not mentioning all the other planes who were around at the time

Edited by Pupo

Have you thought about you in creating maps and "skins" of the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 to test the Russian planes in combat against German planes as in historical reality?

In Spain there is a big community of virtual pilots who like this.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.net/topic/168-developer-diary/?do=findComment&comment=9982

Whether you considered opportunity to make the map of Gulf of Finland in the future, as in "IL-2"?

It's almost standard issue. I'll no longer respond to such questions, because the answer is always the same. About the future we need to talk in the future. Of course, we dream to make all theaters for all the wars in which the aircraft used. But after the dream work starting and we're working to make this future a reality. It is a matter of probability.

Thanks for the diary!

I'm happy with the answers given, and the fact that they took time to address the concerns here about being heard.

The IL2 cockpit is gorgeous! Out of idle curiosity, would someone know what the casings for the two square instruments up on the starboard cockpit wall are made from? From the render I get the impression is is bakelite. If so, I'm extremely impressed with the skinning work!

Very impressed with the cockpit photos,good work team,looking forward to more.

Mick. :)

Great update as usual. I appreciate the honesty and candor in addressing some of the issues raised by a few of my compatriots.

I thought this was interesting:

4) Will the accuracy of the air defense system depends on the time of day, weather conditions and other factors?

Accuracy will depend on the time of day. At night, they can not see you, but they can hear you. AI of air defense systems has "ears". System is based on the actual speed of sound and other important parameters. Searchlights respond to sound in the first place; they turn on and begin to search for targets. Once the target captured by at least one searchlight, others tried as soon as possible focused with the target and then the anti-aircraft guns opened fire. I'm not going to make any promises about the weather, but as you can see, we have everything you need for this, other than the availability of time and money.

On a more serious note.. please be advised that this thread should stay on topic. The last few updates turned into back and forth flame wars between individuals .. This one will not go that way. At the first sign of diversion posts will be removed and posters will be dealt with accordingly.

• Upvote 1

Excellent start on the single-seat IL-2 'pit!  Looking forward to seeing an external model of the Shturmovik.

Glad to hear there will be moving clouds (prevailing winds?). The more weather detail, the better.

Nice cockpits. Will be good to see them in-engine.

Edited by falstaff

Looking good.  Wondering if someone can keep an eye on the Russian boards and convey any interesting info here.

The more weather detail, the better.

Agree with this. I think having a great variety in weather is really important in a flight sim.

I'm saying this because i haven't seen too much discussion about it here

It's great to see an IL2 cockpit done to modern graphic standards after all this time with the original sim.

Well done so far, and thank you for your honesty about communications with the English speaking forum.  Not many developers would ever say what you said Loft.

???????????

Edited by ElAurens

I'd rather read a short update than none at all, so thanks for doing one this week. The WIP screenshots are also a much appreciated addition to these updates because they provide some context to the work you guys are doing.

S!

Thank you for the update. The IL-2 cockpit seems to shape up nicely as well. I am already throwing credit cards and money on my screen for pre-order, darned it! :D

Yo, I'm all getting warm n fuzzy, it's like when Oleg was showing those pit screenies for Storm of War way back. 

Thanks for the update, like the AI answer and also the air defense answer is interesting. 

Also we shouldn't burden the devs with questions with the answers that can be found in the dev diary or sim's what we know so far thread or ones they already went over. The can we have X Y and Z theater? Is one I see alot. Thanks B6 for reposting the answer so people catch it here. 

Thanks for clarifying the Russian thread getting information first issue. To me it didn't matter, because it happens, those closer to you get the 411 or the hookup. 

I can't wait for the two planes to be shown . . . and the beta testing

peace

Glad to hear there will be moving clouds (prevailing winds?). The more weather detail, the better.

Nice cockpits. Will be good to see them in-engine.

I agree.. I wonder how varied the weather settings will be as far as crosswinds.. thermals.. etc..

Thank you, CnacHBO, for the update. Lovely to see the old Il-2 rise from the ashes again! :-)

The cockpit is coming along nicely.

As other posters have mentioned, an interesting weather environment could make BOS a stand-out from other titles.

Good luck,

in reference to 'Dead is Dead'

I like the implementation in RoF, even though it is unpopular...it IS realistic and at times will cause me to cut from an outnumbered fight and head for home base with my career and virtual life intact - rather than press an impossible or really unlikely disadvantage...

maybe BoS could offer the option of starting a career in DiD mode ? and let the gamers have invincibility mode if they choose?

• Upvote 1

I liked the comments about AI development. I hope it will be along the lines of what we have now in the lasest version of IL-2. Not human but still challenging. I hope too a way will be made finally to have different skill levels within an AI flight. Or better have a random button so you might not know what AI version will pop into a mission.

Thank you, CnacHBO, for the update. Lovely to see the old Il-2 rise from the ashes again! :-)

Transliterated from the Cyrillic alphabet to ours, it would be something like "Spasibo"

I like the implementation in RoF, even though it is unpopular...it IS realistic and at times will cause me to cut from an outnumbered fight and head for home base with my career and virtual life intact - rather than press an impossible or really unlikely disadvantage...

maybe BoS could offer the option of starting a career in DiD mode ? and let the gamers have invincibility mode if they choose?

For me that is like... a moot point. I mean... if you don't want to die during a campaign just treat it the same way you would if it was DiD.. Be that guy who fights and runs and lives to fight another day instead of the hero who gets the posthumous medals..

I'm afraid we have no time for unpopular features. You will have to set the rules of career without assistance.

Transliterated from the Cyrillic alphabet to ours, it would be something like "Spasibo"

Yes, you're right)

In Il-2, ending a career dead was not an option. You couldn't accept missions where you died. Will this option at least be present?

Also wondering, again, what type of water temp gauge is being modelled. I still haven't seen any reference where it looks like what it does in the modelled cockpits. Speaking of cockpits - looking forward to seeing the Il-2. You can tell that there's a good ten years between this one and it's predecessor. Very nice.

I thought this was interesting:

4) Will the accuracy of the air defense system depends on the time of day, weather conditions and other factors?

Accuracy will depend on the time of day. At night, they can not see you, but they can hear you. AI of air defense systems has "ears". System is based on the actual speed of sound and other important parameters. Searchlights respond to sound in the first place; they turn on and begin to search for targets. Once the target captured by at least one searchlight, others tried as soon as possible focused with the target and then the anti-aircraft guns opened fire. I'm not going to make any promises about the weather, but as you can see, we have everything you need for this, other than the availability of time and money.

You can already see this in ROF. ;)

About Dead is Dead.

I always thought it would be interesting if you could play as the replacement pilot for your pilot when he is killed. That way you'd not have to restart a campaign, but you lose your current record\medals etc if you die.

• Upvote 5

thats an interesting idea...and continuing from that point instead of having to refly the campaign from the start would probably be enough to make the feature palatable for those that 'hated' it

it still sort of defeats the purpose of trying to get the player to reduce his risk taking to a more realistic level ...but losing all victories and air medals might

be enough incentive to fly and fight realistically

Edited by Heywooood