Sign in to follow this  
chiliwili69

Could borrow the cloud tech from ROF?

Hi,

I just wanted to suggest/ask if the cloud tech from ROF could be reutilized or adapted to IL-2 GB to produce more volumetric clouds like cumulu-nimbus and larger vertically.

Here something you already know:

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

It is the same cloud tech as ROF already. Just variables being tweaked. 

You can check out other people's cloud mods in the MODs subforum.

I have to laugh at the whole notion that the Devs can't figure out on their own what to use from Rise of Flight, and what to leave alone.

Pretty sure they have a handle on their own tech.

• Upvote 1

As somebody who has spent a considerable amount of time taking apart the clouds both within ROF and IL2 I can say that there seems to be a lot that is different about how the various settings and parameters generating the clouds are regulated, but fundamentally it seems to be a largely similar particle based system at the heart of each.

The biggest difference was that in ROF you had to physically model each cloud from a whole series of co-ordinates and diameters for each particle making up a cloud. It was a slow process but meant you could create any shape of cloud you wanted. IL-2 grows it clouds from initial maps of humidity; this has the advantage of being far easier and faster to work with but offers less fine control over the actual shaping; something I have been seeking to redress by developing ever more mods/tweaks for the graphics packages I use to paint the humidity maps from which the clouds in IL-2 are grown.

Thereafter most of the "issues" people have with IL-2's clouds are not so much with the modelling of the clouds but with the new shaders used to illuminate and render these, something I don't yet have the skills to look into and re-write, but by and large technical solutions re-writing shaders don't really address the core  artistic issues but they should be great at fixing the technical problems many others have gone over in depth many times before.