=DOF=ColNinny

Pe-2 Woes- How to master landing the Pe-2

Never, ever, had a problem landing it. You're doing something wrong. Perhaps Requiem's guide might help?

• Upvote 1

You *can* land it with full flaps if you keep the nose almost level but it does tend to come down quite hard.  Better to use 50% to 70%.     The flight manual prohibits using more than 35 degrees on landing which is 70% because with full flap the wings will stall at an angle of just 9.8 degrees but the landing attitude is 12.5 degrees 🙂.    On the first three landings  you can see it stall and drop a wing.   Later landings appear to show the aircraft being flown into the ground instead of flaring.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Keeping just enough power on after touchdown that you are still decelerating in the rollout is the key to not ground looping.  Or, if you do have dual throttles, counter the spin with just one engine.  

On 11/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, mpdugas said:

I'm guessing that all those texture changes upset your landing trim...

Did the BOS planes get a texture update?

1 hour ago, flyingfisch said:

Did the BOS planes get a texture update?

watch the video; the plane's textures change rapidly from one scene to the next, depending on the draw distance...

I always land with full flaps on every aircraft. It shortens the landing roll and allows you to stop and exit quicker so you don't get sniped. Gracious gliding approaches are fine in peace-time - I just want to be vulnerable for as short a time as possible :)

I think PE-2 is the only plane that requires more flaps for takeoff than landing. 

Manual says Landing flaps have electro-hydraulic actuator and they can be extended to any angle up to 50°. When landing and the flaps are fully extended the angle of attack for a stall is less than landing pitch angle. For this reason, it is prohibited to extend flaps to more than to 35° (70%) on landing. 

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

Was there any reason for the large flap-angle?

The Spitfire has a very steep split flap angle as well.  I suppose they even start to work a bit like spoilers.

Regarding the Peshka, I'm not so sure about the flap induced pitch angle incidence. But maybe this is correct. Either way, I'm seeing often that people work the ailerons way too much by flairing out a taildragger.

If you are settling down a taildragger, you simply don't touch the ailerons during the final! (Unless to keep the wings level/banked into the wind). As soon as you are finished with the turn into the final the ailerons should not be used anymore to steer the aircraft. You do that exclusively with the rudder. If you do it anyway, yes you risk losing a wing. Especially on more delicate aircraft. This is why you really should frown uopn an approach as shown in the video.

If you get used to steering the aircraft with the rudder in the final, you can threepoint the Peshka at ~120 km/h. It will stop flying at around 100 km/h. It is true however that using the ailerons below 170 km/h, this can lead to bent metal lacking sufficient air underneath you.

Just try it, you can trim the Peska to fly at ~130 km/h with full flaps. It will have a slight nose up attitude. But you touch the ailerons, you lose her. Fly her with the rudder and it works.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, ZachariasX said:

you can trim the Peska to fly at ~130 km/h with full flaps.

Indeed, but you shouldn't be able to, at least not according to the detailed report for the Air Ministry by Sqn Ldr Lapraik, who flew the Pe-2 in September 1941.

if the flaps were lowered more than 30 degrees the tail trimmer was cut out by a switch and the machine became rather tail heavy, thought not uncomfortably so.

Approach & Landing

After reducing speed to 300 km/h indicated, the undercarriage was lowered; this produced a slight nose heaviness. The flaps were then lowered to 15 degrees and the circuit continued at an indicated speed of 250-260 km/h. After the final turn, the flaps were lowered fully (50 degrees) and when they passed the 30 degree mark decided tail heaviness was noticed. It was impossible to moderated this by trimming as lowering the flaps disengaged the tail trimmer.

The glide was reported to be 'rather flat' and the view good. At touchdown, the indicated speed was 170 km/h. The shock absorbing qualities of the undercarriage were not good and the machine was inclined to 'hop' along the ground. A slightly tail-up landing was advised by the Russians. The brakes were good.

This from the Crowood Aviation Series book on the Pe-2 by Peter. C. Smith.

It also includes reports from the Finish Air Force who operated a few Pe-2's and had captured Russian Pe-2 pilots interrogation and they're own translation of the Pe-2 manuals to work with.

There are of course some discrepancies between the RAF and Finish reports, like 50 degrees and 55 degrees of maximum flaps respectively. And the Fins recommended a power on 3 point landing...iirc, it's getting late here :) If I get the time tomorrow I'll scan the relevant pages and put them up.

• Thanks 1

Found some time and I have scanned the relevant pages, actually chapters as it turned out, some of the pages were only deemed necessary for continuity and not entirely relevant. Nothing flash just .jpeg's, but they're separated into the two chapters.

https://workupload.com/file/vE8xGFsW

I'll be interested to here others thoughts on what the different test pilots had to report. I find the tail trimmer lock out interesting and hopefully we will see it in game at some point if it's not too awkward to code.

• Thanks 1