Zaphod-Hawke

I can see in VR!

No special settings, no mods. This patch is one hell of an improvement in this department.

Now, I hope some work on un-stupiding the AI happens. They're downright suicidal.

I just had a G-14 ram me after I ran out of ammo on the 1st of a pair, and landed at a nearby airfield. 

Damn thing caused a CTD, but I caught a quick glimpse of the carnage.

It was sort of spectacular, but I'd rather they fly a wee bit smarter and a lot less prone to hitting the ground.

It's nice not feeling like I might go randomly blind though!

Flying is much more fun when you can see. 

40 minutes ago, Zaphod-Hawke said:

No special settings, no mods. This patch is one hell of an improvement in this department.

Now, I hope some work on un-stupiding the AI happens. They're downright suicidal.

I just had a G-14 ram me after I ran out of ammo on the 1st of a pair, and landed at a nearby airfield. 

Damn thing caused a CTD, but I caught a quick glimpse of the carnage.

It was sort of spectacular, but I'd rather they fly a wee bit smarter and a lot less prone to hitting the ground.

It's nice not feeling like I might go randomly blind though!

Flying is much more fun when you can see. 

I was fighting from a P51D v BF109G14 up at 32,000ft. and caught him in a right hand bank, watch the .50 cal rounds rake his forward cowling down the cockpit into the rear fuselage and KaBOOM! I have no idea what I hit; but it was the best explosion I had seen in awhile.

• Like 1

The tank behind the pilot mastiff.  At the right angle you can shoot over the armour plate directly into the fuel tank if shooting from high 6.  Biiiiig bada boom.

I am also liking this patch.  Extreme clouds make the game look much better in vr without loss of fps.  

Bravo devs with this one.  Only had a little go last night but impressed.  Looking forward to playing over weekend.

• Like 1

„I can see in VR“ is the thread title.....I play IL-2 BoX exclusively in VR Mode, now with the HP Reverb.

I am on a holiday trip now and not at home, so I can not try the latest update.

I opened THIS thread because I thought to get some detailed information about any improvements in VR with the latest update, maybe performance improvements or graphics improvements.

But I don’t find any specific information about VR improvements?!

So what did you want to tell us, please tell more about what is better now in VR compared to the built before.

Thanks.

Joe ,  extreme clouds setting now available makes them look alot more realistic and with performance increase in general it doesnt hit fps.  In fact my game now smoother with higher settings.  Iv not tested spotting distant contacts yet tho.  

Oh thanks, that sounds great. I am really looking forward to test the new build next week. Having a smoother experience in VR sounds really nice.

For my opinion IL-2 is one of the best experiences in VR which I have seen, even better when the devs find more ways to improve.

Fixed Foreated Rendering is still no go for VR - unfortunately.

By far though, Il2 in VR is artwork but the canvas needs a little more love to really help VR along.

Tested DCS - no issue.  Back to Il2 and flew 1 mission with no issues but then second mission - freeze.

Will be very much something that needs to be dealt with for the New Year as high resolution VR headsets come online.

Found Il2 art work more detailed compared to DCS world and more atmospheric but it was the free version so who knows.  That and finding joystick setup not being the best either.

Back to lower res in VR for Il2

there's a definite improvement in VR performance in the latest release. There are no more jitters, the experience is very smooth. It's still heavy on the CPU usage, but at least the GPU can now do all it can to support the proper framerate...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

„I can see in VR“ is the thread title.....I play IL-2 BoX exclusively in VR Mode, now with the HP Reverb.

I am on a holiday trip now and not at home, so I can not try the latest update.

I opened THIS thread because I thought to get some detailed information about any improvements in VR with the latest update, maybe performance improvements or graphics improvements.

But I don’t find any specific information about VR improvements?!

So what did you want to tell us, please tell more about what is better now in VR compared to the built before.

Thanks.

It was simply an exclamation.

I was ready to quit entirely in favor of DCS, even though I bought the entire BoX package minus the tank thing. 

What is better? I can see other planes at reasonable distances now.

It makes not dying SO much easier.

This is so good to read. I haven't tried playing yet because, as always, big updates come when I'm out of town. I've always played in VR with settings maxxed out and dealt with the occasional stutters and artifacts. Greatly looking forward to try out this new patch when I get home.

Unfortunately for me, BoBP, Steam VR and Oculus software all updated at the same time so my settings got completely scrambled.  My earphones don't work, I'm getting Oculus home bleeding through the mission loading screen and it took me 2 hours last night to even get the Steam VR software to work. Maybe I can get it sorted out tonight...

13 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

Unfortunately for me, BoBP, Steam VR and Oculus software all updated at the same time so my settings got completely scrambled.  My earphones don't work, I'm getting Oculus home bleeding through the mission loading screen and it took me 2 hours last night to even get the Steam VR software to work. Maybe I can get it sorted out tonight...

Same here with steam. All of my audio settings got borked, motion smoothing got re enabled causing shenanigans. . . .highly annoying. It took me half an hour to get my rumble seat wiring again.

First world problems, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Jaegermeister said:

Just say no to Steam VR with the Rift. Way too much overhead.

Give Open Composite a try, most folks get much better performance. Leaner and meaner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

Regarding the Rift software, not sure what is going on there, try a repair?

I am on the 1.43 PTC Beta version, and it is working great for me.

You can also try a repair of the Oculus software, it will download all the files again but give you an option to repair.

Edited by dburne

2 hours ago, pfrances said:

Same here with steam. All of my audio settings got borked, motion smoothing got re enabled causing shenanigans. . . .highly annoying. It took me half an hour to get my rumble seat wiring again.

First world problems, I suppose.

pure coincidence, SteamVR got updated on Wednesday bringing different audio options, etc...  😄

Seems to be significantly smoother for my system too, not tried any spotting yet, now if we could just get rid of the nausea inducing stutter mess that is the loading screens (DCS World is still worse at it though...) it'd make my decade :)  I don't play this enough at all :/  

1 hour ago, Dano said:

Seems to be significantly smoother for my system too, not tried any spotting yet, now if we could just get rid of the nausea inducing stutter mess that is the loading screens (DCS World is still worse at it though...) it'd make my decade :) I don't play this enough at all 😕

If you are on Rift using Opencomposite instead of SteamVR solves this.

SteamVR is just not very good in comparison to Rift's API - a shame as I really like how configurable it is (E.g. turning of advanced supersampling filtering). 

I currently swing back and forth between the two, SteamVR for spotting and Opencomposite for the amazing fps and smoothness. Grr

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Just say no to Steam VR with the Rift. Way too much overhead.

Give Open Composite a try, most folks get much better performance. Leaner and meaner.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9nxixe/systemwide_installation_for_opencomposite_released/

Regarding the Rift software, not sure what is going on there, try a repair?

I am on the 1.43 PTC Beta version, and it is working great for me.

You can also try a repair of the Oculus software, it will download all the files again but give you an option to repair.

I’ll give both of those a roll this weekend. I got it working again, but lots of stuttering on loading screens, had to go back to rift headphones and still oculus home taking over regardless of settings. I’ll post back with results.

Seeing is much, much improved, once you spot them you can track fairly well close in.  Spotting anything beyond 5Km's is a crap shoot it seems, but within the 5K bubble its pretty consistent, they do render.  If you do see something beyond you can keep a visual well with zoom.  Seems the LOD's have been darkened up a bit for me, they don't blend into the blur so easy in close where you can see features like wings.  It can be pretty harsh with the LOD's popping, hard to guesstimate distance, pretty shocking when the dot suddenly pops wings and starts shooting with it's nose on.  Seems a little behind for the speeds.  AI seems far more intelligent in QMB, except for the ones currently allied to the player.

Overall smoother, jacked up the settings pretty much max, the AA is better and faster through the card, in game it bogged it down when set to 2 with worse overall spotting.  Lower the gamma, better the spotting for me.

13 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

If you are on Rift using Opencomposite instead of SteamVR solves this.

SteamVR is just not very good in comparison to Rift's API - a shame as I really like how configurable it is (E.g. turning of advanced supersampling filtering). 

I currently swing back and forth between the two, SteamVR for spotting and Opencomposite for the amazing fps and smoothness. Grr

Ohhh, nice, I've been meaning to give it a try with opencomposite, guess this might just give me a kick to set it up later :)

I reinstalled Oculus software with Repair option checked. It didn't install, autodeleted, and I had to reinstall. It kept my settings though.

It works again now, only difference is the Oculus home showing through the loading screens. I think it must be a new "feature". I'll keep trying to get rid of it.