Sign in to follow this  
III/JG52_Necro_v

Assign brakes to a "side" of axis

I have some pedals with separate brakes (G940) to which I have assigned the left and right foot brakes. In the case of airplanes like the Bf109, Fw190, etc. it goes really good, but in the case of airplanes like the Spitfire I need another different axis.

I use a Sidewinder and I plan to use the twist axis (Z) as a brake for airplanes such as the Spitfire, so that in the rest position it does not brake anything.

I have achieved this by assigning the brakes to that axis and modifying the dead zone to 50% (within il2 it can only be done up to 25%) by editing the "current.responses" file and changing the value from 0.25 to 0.5. Obviously, any changes I make later in the game will modify the file and return the value to 0.25. See picture.

Does anyone know another way to assign this axis but use only one half of the axis rotation?

Thanks and regards

current.responses.png

On 11/6/2019 at 12:43 PM, III/JG52_Necro_v said:

Does anyone know another way to assign this axis but use only one half of the axis rotation?

The way to go would be to split the Z axis into two virtual axes (one for left travel, another for right travel) via vJoy.

But as to the Spit (and several Russian planes equipped with a similar braking system), it would be much simpler to assign a "break" key and to use it in combination with rudder movement (left rudder + break = left break; right rudder + brake = right brake).

In case you didnt sort it out yet, I have done this on mine:

Install VJoy, and also download Universal Joystick Remapper (UJR).

In this image you can see how I set it up, you just have to select in one of the virtual axis, for example 1 (X), your physical stick ID (1 if you only have 1 joystick) and then the stick axis.

Finding the axis takes a bit of clicking until you find your axis, basically twist the joystick left and right, and go changing the physical axis for the Physical Stick ID = 1, until you see the State moving, then you know that is your axis. (If none of the Physical axis works, change to stick ID 2, or 3 , depending on how many josticks you have plugged)

Once you have the correct Physical Stick and Axis selected, you can do the Special Operation of SPLIT H, or SPLIT L, and it will split the axis into a full range.

I have SPLIT H for twist left, from 0 to 100, and SPLIT L for twist right, also from 0 to 100. These will be 2 new axis in the game, belonging to the new VJoy joystick (its a virtual joystick)

(If you click on Auto configure Stick ID, it tries to fill all the virtual axis with joystick axis, you could use this also to find the twist, and then set to None everything else that you dont want to remap)

image.png.f350fd25e393021b3967fa90b29a77a5.png

On 11/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, sniperton said:

The way to go would be to split the Z axis into two virtual axes (one for left travel, another for right travel) via vJoy.

But as to the Spit (and several Russian planes equipped with a similar braking system), it would be much simpler to assign a "break" key and to use it in combination with rudder movement (left rudder + break = left break; right rudder + brake = right brake).

I don´t like assign a Key for Brakes because it isn´t progressive, it´ an "all-or-nothing" input.

On 11/13/2019 at 4:37 AM, hayraddin said:

In case you didnt sort it out yet, I have done this on mine:

Install VJoy, and also download Universal Joystick Remapper (UJR).

Thanks so much for the explanation. I will try it later.

At the moment I think I will use the modified text file. I have verified that if I do not modify the axes, IL2 keeps that parameter at 0.5.

Regards.