ElCapitano

Good Flying Circus Server with Enemy AI

Hello Guys,

since me and my brother have not been able to setup a Coop-Server due to a problem with port forwarding because of our internet provider and the fritz.box we are now looking for a good Multiplayer-Server with more than just 2-3 AI Planes in the Air. Is there any Flying Circus Server you could recommend that would fit this description? If there is no server like this, does anyone know how to host a Coop-Server when you do not get a specific IPv4 adress but just one via DS Lite Tunnel.

Kind regards!

Nils

Not sure exactly what you're looking for - more ai planes or more than ai planes ?

Anyway there's a server at the bottom of the list just now (zoo wings) that offers quick and constant dogfighting if you want it, plus a few other targets.

Not really a co-op map though.

S!

We aim to fly together against AI planes. So not more than AI but rather more AI Enemies. We flew on the Jasta 5 Server yesterday, but there were only 2 Se5a and 1 Bomber that we could shoot down. Afterwards there was nothing. So we would like a server where we could hunt some AI enemies for a couple of hours.

Does the Zoo server offer dogfighting against AI?

Edited by ElCapitano

It has x4 fighters and x1 2 seater per side.

The action's mostly over Lille so you won't be 'hunting' anything as such.

It's really just dogfighting practice.

You may be looking for a bigger map...

It's up now anyway so have a quick look if you can.

S!

• Thanks 1

I just now flew the Zoo.  You should, too.  It was bonnaroo.  (y)

Starts in the air but the layout is kinda like the Verdun maps at NF&F: city in the middle and opposing elements on either side.

I was there alone but was never lonely.  A good number of planes and ground targets.  The graphics are first rate and I've gotta say the bots are getting botter.

I was seeing bot pilots get wounded and be going down; then recover and get back in the fight.  

In 1v1 I was finding myself aerobatically pushed pretty well.  

I got into a fight with a SPAD and a CAMEL where the bots really showed not only surprising capabilities but adaptability as well.  I felt like he was responding to me with like maneuvers at time; we'd be turning, I'd go vertical and so would he.  Very lifelike.

It was great with just the bots; a few more fliers and it would be even better.  But it's a place you can be the only one there and still have a good dogfighting experience and just plane fun.  ;-)

One thing, though.  I gotta find out where the aerodromes are.  I expended my ammo, went looking for a place to land, couldn't find it, saw a low bridge (train?) and tried flying under it; dinged my wing and did a crackup landing.  LOL.  Guess I need to study the map better.

Anyway, it's late; I just watched the FR.  Some really close scissoring in a fight with a Camel.  It's really something when you are scissoring that close to another plane in VR.  The word "breathtaking" is kinda old-fashioned but it actually applies.  When a plane passes close in FC VR, you feel your heart pound a little harder, for sure.

I'll try to post some pics and info at DD but it might not be for a few days; priorities.

Really happy to see this site, though.  I really enjoyed dropping into NF&F for a quickie.  The Zoo looks like a place to do that in FC VR.  Glad to see it.  I'll be back.

Thank you for doing this, Zooropa Fly.  

• Thanks 1

Cheers Todt, appreciate that.

Re. aerodromes, there aren't any designated ones as such.

The ground is generally a bit ropey for placing AF's anywhere flat as you could in RoF, hence the air starts.

I recommend landing on a long street in the town.. or perhaps under the big railroad hangar - adds to the fun !

S!

• Upvote 1

Flew it in VR but just now looked at the FR on my monitor.  Saw some neat things.  

I believe I was occasionally seeing what must have been a large projectile in flight and came up and became a FLAK burst.  Never saw that before.

I watched a SPAD hit a treeline and the trees bent and rebounded very realistically when seen from a distant view.  That looked good!

Saw the bots do some maneuvers today that anybody would have been proud of.  Going inverted at low altitude and pulling it out on the deck.  Varied combinations of jinking and faking to make themselves harder to hit.  Looking at it from a distance in F3 they seem to fly as good if not better than anyone else.  It seems like things are getting better; don't know if the game is adapting intuitively or the Devs are tweaking the specs but those guys gave me a good run for my money today.  You're not turning against Moro or Sudo but a lot better than the ROF bots and even how the FC bots were at first.  I think I'm seeing improvements here.  Happy about that.

I keep noticing new stuff all the time.  Happy to see it happening.  Virtual Reality is unbelievable.

That Server is really great! Does it have regular uptimes? We couldnt find it this morning, like 8 hours ago. 

Best regards!

Sorry Capitano, I had been getting disconnections when I checked before I went to bed, so I just switched off for the night.

I'll try and keep it up as much as possible.

S!

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

Sorry Capitano, I had been getting disconnections when I checked before I went to bed, so I just switched off for the night.

I'll try and keep it up as much as possible.

S!

How does this work?  You have a map file that you upload to the server list and it's available as long as your computer is on?  

Is that capability available to everyone?  

So basically, the operating cost of a server like this is the electricity it takes to run your computer?  (With the monitor off that wouldn't be much.  I could do that.)

Does the speed of your connection matter?  We're on cable and originally had the fastest service available.  Now the company did a general downgrade one cut below that but it's still really fast.  I could pay for a faster link but didn't notice any difference in how the game plays on my end, so we're still working on that "slightly less than warp speed" connection.  I wonder if that's a factor that might affect how this works for me; were I to try providing a server?

I don't have a map of my own and don't know how to make one; but I believe someone said it's possible to upload someone else's map (with permission) so others can fly it.

If that's how it works, seems like you could get yourself a wingman or two who could keep it online when you log off.  

Just a thought on something I'm interested in but know nothing about.

Whatayathink?

PS: Who provides that main server dock we see in the game?  

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

You can generate a Multiplayer mission yourself (either Dogfight or Coop) with this tool:

Other than that: Yes, you need good connection speed. Be aware that when you are server, upload speed is now more/as important than download speed.

• Thanks 1

@Todt,

When you select 'dogfight' and get the server list, click 'create server' at the bottom right.

Takes you to the server settings screen where you can also set up missions to run. (Displayed missions located in IL2../data/multiplayer/dogfight).

Make sure 'available to internet' (or whatever exactly it's called) is un-ticked unless you're intending to go public.. in which case you'll need to be set up for that.

I think it's called 'settings' at the bottom of screen to set the game options - icons/warmed engine.. etc.etc..

Whenever you play an online mission, it is stored on your computer in the above location, so you can play them offline yourself anytime via 'create server'.

As for permission to run maps, technically I don't think you need it - all belongs to the devs ! Nice to ask of course.

I'm no tech guru, but fyi my down speed in currently just under 50mb. Was supposed to be 150 around now..

Up speed is 30mb.

I think these are ok, server seems to be running fine so far at least.

If you need to check yours just google 'speedtest'..

Hope some of that's useful.

S!

Vander and Fly, 

Yes, thank you both, that's a lot of help.  Sounds just like opening your own private server at ROFMP.   I think I can do this.  

My wife works for the company that provides our cable connection (retires in two months) and she knows all about the speed rate of our setup.  I'll ask her about it tonight.

I am supposed to fly and make pics of a Voss skin for GooseH so i was planning on booting up the game computer tonight.  I'll knock this around and see how it goes.  Thanks a lot for the help.

I'll have to think of a proper name for it.  Heh!  That oughta be good. 

I just flew two missions at the Zoo.  Just me and the bots but it was great.  

There's no place to land, though.  I landed on a road and when one wheel went off it sunk.  Landed the second time on a road (trail, actually) but again I went off to the side (can't see well in a triplane when taxiing) and this time it bogged down so far i stood it on its prop trying to break it free.  LOL!

But seriously, I'm seeing many comments about this so it sounds like a map glitch and hope the Devs will correct it.  The map is springtime! There's no reason something as light as one of these planes should be sinking that deep everywhere.  

So, to the Developers I'd say, "We'd like the terra a bit more firma and we need some actual aerodromes, too please.  Thank you."

I didn't see the Zoo when I went on last night, but I tried out the Misfits server and that was pretty nice.  Had to switch off the icons part way through because there was just too much vision clutter, but they're optional so no big deal.

• Thanks 1

Was on it for one mission yesterday evening around 21:00 Central Eu time and had a good time.

Saw Daeldalus too so shot the breeze together ;

Congrats ZF

Edited by West
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi all

A picture speaks a 1,000 words, here's a video I recorded after West had left, so it's only ai and me.

It's a good place for beginners, or when you just have an urge to shoot things, or practice in a plane you are not that good in yet, and there are plenty of ground targets to practice bombing.

Recommended.

cheers

Edited by Daedallus
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2