II./JG1_Vonrd

Photoshopped Bf109

So, I was working on another screenshot where the subject is a 109 having it's guns harmonized by the armourers on the ground with the cowlings off. I needed a 3/4 view of the MG-17 nose guns but couldn't find a satisfactory image. This is the raw inspiration image.

Messerschmitt-Me-109F-gun-alignment-test.jpg

I thought that it couldn't be too hard to do a 3D model of the guns, that way I could rotate it to whatever angle I needed and take a screenshot to use in Photoshop... yeah, how hard could it be...  🙄

I downloaded Blender and started checking Youtube tutorials... but Blender just changed from 2.7 to 2.8 and lots of the tools and shortcuts have been changed so any of the earlier tutorials were confusing... I'm slowly getting a handle on it though and really enjoying the process. Here's what I have after a couple of weeks of head scratching:

525363145_MG17screenshot.thumb.jpg.1d39254ba8fb6bc9a804d6a139c0ec5c.jpg

Still have a long way to go though.

Anyone here have Blender experience?

•  

After a couple more weeks of struggle I'm beginning to get a handle on Blender. It's not totally accurate since I was unable to find good blueprints for the gun installation (and figuring out how to model the intricacies of the various individual parts is yet a bit beyond my ken 😨) but still, I'm pretty pleased with the results and think it will work to give the illusion that I'm looking for. My intent is to do some "art" pieces using BOx screenshots melded with 3D modeling to pay respect to the ground crews with the internals exposed. They (we) don't get the recognition that the pilots normally do.

After more tweaks to the guns, the next project is the engine...

MG17(1).jpg

MG17(2).jpg

MG17(3).jpg

MG17(4).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1