SCG_motoadve

HP Reverb @ 60Hz refresh rate, distorted graphics

26 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

So I'm seeing a lot of really positive youtube vids regarding clarity of the Reverb and IL-2.

I love my Rift S..but I'm tempted to grab a reverb for mainly IL-2 and DCS.  I've got an 8700k/1080ti setup.  Is it worth grabbing a reverb?

I was tempted as well.

But I will tell you at least for me, I am loving this Rift S. Been flying a Bodenplatte Career and it is just gorgeous, and my performance is fantastic.

The thing I like with my Rift S, is it just works for me every time, no muss no fuss. No telling how many hours I have on it now as I have been using daily since getting it in May. Spent 4 hours with it this afternoon in Bodenplatte Career, awesome stuff.

Reading across various forums and all the tweaks and working with Reverb and dealing with WMR and Steam VR both, just turns me off.

Yeah I know some who say they had no trouble at all getting going with it. I am not crazy about Steam VR and really do not want to deal with both it and WMR. 

And I am just not so sure the jump in clarity over my Rift S would be worth it to me. Think I will just stick with what is working well for me right now.

Edited by dburne

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I was tempted as well.

But I will tell you at least for me, I am loving this Rift S. Been flying a Bodenplatte Career and it is just gorgeous, and my performance is fantastic.

The thing I like with my Rift S, is it just works for me every time, no muss no fuss. No telling how many hours I have on it now as I have been using daily since getting it in May. Spent 4 hours with it this afternoon in Bodenplatte Career, awesome stuff.

Reading across various forums and all the tweaks and working with Reverb and dealing with WMR and Steam VR both, just turns me off.

Yeah I know some who say they had no trouble at all getting going with it. I am not crazy about Steam VR and really do not want to deal with both it and WMR. 

And I am just not so sure the jump in clarity over my Rift S would be worth it to me. Think I will just stick with what is working well for me right now.

I’m loving the rift S as well and agree with all of the above.

That 2160 x 2160 resolution is an attractive draw.  Really interested in how it looks in person but yes, resolution and performance have been outstanding w my rift S.  I’d be keeping both if I did pull the trigger.

With my 3600x, the 1080Ti and a HP Reverb I get sometimes drops to 45 during heavy action furballs in scripted campaigns at 100% rendering with high settings.

The funny thing is when I up the resolution to 200% supersampling, Ultra preset with high clouds and medium shadows, filtered landscape and distant buildings, 150km the framerate still stays above 45 FPS all the time. So why not settle for this settings in the first place in singleplayer, turn the HUD and the FPS counter off and just enjoy.   

I just flew the first 4 missions of the Ten Days of Autumn Campaign with this settings. It has been an amazing experience. 

Sure I am looking forward to a 3080 for higher framerates to enjoy fast turns even more in furballs. But nevertheless the flights and fights left me speechless several times with my current setup. 

IL2 gets all my attention recently. We are talkin about a 99 hours in two weeks kind of quality of experience in this case. I know it is probably unhealthy, but I would not want to miss this two weeks. So now, if you ask me, if it is worth to get a HP Reverb, especially if you own a 9900k and 2080Ti already, guess my answer.

Coming from a dusted DK2 and CV1 on the shelf, the HP Reverb revealed the true next level of VR to me.

• Like 3

I've just expericenced that weird bug.

I was messing around with the game and saw in FPS VR that I was at 60 fps with repro ON everything was super smooth.

When I exit out the game, I've check Steam VR beta and at that time it shows me a refresh rate of 60 hz

I've rebooted my computer and after that Steam VR was back at 90 hz . I've decided to manually change the refresh rate to do more testing at 60 hz but then I had that weird distorted convergence bug.

That's too bad because the game was super smooth when I've ran it accidently to 60hz

1 hour ago, PB0_Foxy said:

I was messing around with the game and saw in FPS VR that I was at 60 fps with repro ON everything was super smooth.

When I exit out the game, I've check Steam VR beta and at that time it shows me a refresh rate of 60 hz

I've rebooted my computer and after that Steam VR was back at 90 hz . I've decided to manually change the refresh rate to do more testing at 60 hz but then I had that weird distorted convergence bug.

That's too bad because the game was super smooth when I've ran it accidently to 60hz

Just a shot in the dark but maybe this bug is not coming from WMR but windows itself. I changed the refresh rate on my 4K TV to 50 Hz (from the normal 60 Hz) and the screen was all messed up. So maybe it's windows that cannot handle "not-intended" refresh rates.

2 hours ago, PB0_Foxy said:

In Windows Mixed Reality under settings/headset display what do you have selected under visuals quality?

Try other than very high (Beta) and please report if that fixes the distorted 60Hz

Got my reverb last month.  Left it in the box for awhile awaiting a new computer.  Got that - installed Reverb.  Very nice.

Getting WMR to work with Steam VR was not a problem.  Just download the Steam WMR plugin.  

Getting the head set to work was somewhat painful as my controllers refused to synch.  They did eventually, at least long enough to get through the setup process.

Per the headset itself - it is exactly what people say it is both good and bad.  You are giving up some field of view and some clarity around the edges, but looking forward it is beautiful.  I absolutely love it.  

9 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

In Windows Mixed Reality under settings/headset display what do you have selected under visuals quality?

Try other than very high (Beta) and please report if that fixes the distorted 60Hz

Other settings (other than very high (Beta)) do not fix the issue.

If you want to enter 60Hz without the bug, you have to start the pc with the 90Hz setting (or automatic), wait a little bit (dont ask), wmr will shut down, then you enter windows mixed reality for steam and if you waited long enough in the first place 🙂 you will enter the 60Hz without the bug (to get 90Hz again restart or replug the HMD). I do not mind the 90Hz mode or 60Hz bugfree, both are fine. The HP Reverb behaves like it has no fixed refresh rate, it deals very well with fluctuating frame rates. If I turn off the FPS counter I do not realize the fluctuations or the difference between the 90 and the 60 Hz mode. There is no tearing or jumping of frames at all.

20 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I'm using the setting very high (Beta)

Anyway I've managed to have the 60 hz without the bug yesterday again.

My computer was running for a while and as usual WMR fire up at startup. When I came back on my computer I had that screen saying my headset is sleeping.

I've closed that screen and launched IL-2 (IL-2 will auto launch WMR beta and Steam VR without lauching all other steam process) and I was in 60 hz without the bug. So maybe Gomoto is right about the fact that we should wait a little.

That's a weird bug and that would be cool to find out what is going on with the refresh rate this way we could report it.

7df4f780c3a2d5762cb8becf3455f2e90c356397.thumb.jpeg.d9b67637a769d2b443ee2e3b9d220fd3.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Ok so I've did some trials and power up my computer and let it run until the headset was in sleep mode but sadly it did not help.

I'll have to investigate further more.

Meanwhile I've opened a new topic on steam WMR forums :

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1736634087695943032/

Feel free to go there and to post to add some precisions if needed

Edited by PB0_Foxy

Hello, for those who manage to make it run at 60 Hz, how is it? I am still hesitating between Rift S and Reverb, and the 60 Hz sounds to me like a strong argument in favor of Reverb. Dips at 40 Hz with the ghosting effect are still painful, so constant 60 Hz sounds like a good deal, but how does it feel? Is 60 Hz really good enough?

25 minutes ago, haltux said:

Hello, for those who manage to make it run at 60 Hz, how is it? I am still hesitating between Rift S and Reverb, and the 60 Hz sounds to me like a strong argument in favor of Reverb. Dips at 40 Hz with the ghosting effect are still painful, so constant 60 Hz sounds like a good deal, but how does it feel? Is 60 Hz really good enough?

Technically Rift S does not dip to 40 Hz. The headset still runs at 80 Hz when fps drops much below 80 fps, it just interpolates every other frame so it can

maintain the 80 Hz refresh rate. 

I do not find it to be that painful when it does, but this is subjective to the individual.

Sorry can't help on the Reverb at 60 Hz but I am sure others who have tried it will chime in.

Reverb at 60 Hz very smooth and great resolution.

You need to run a previous version of WMR and Windows 10, because the latest one give you distorted graphics

According to this post, the 60Hz fix is already done and published on the latest Windows Insider Build.  If this is in fact true, we may expect the fix to be available in the near future.

(crossing fingers)

• Thanks 2

I updated my windows 10, it does now have 60hz shown in WMR for steam. It runs really smoothly in 60hz but the left and right eye still do not match in Bos😨

Unfortunately the image is still offset slightly.  Any fixes out there?

18 hours ago, 1./KG4klaw123 said:

I updated my windows 10, it does now have 60hz shown in WMR for steam. It runs really smoothly in 60hz but the left and right eye still do not match in Bos😨

You might want to try the "IPD modifier like" feature of c6_lefuneste's 3dmigoto mod.

1 hour ago, haltux said:

You might want to try the "IPD modifier like" feature of c6_lefuneste's 3dmigoto mod.

No, it doesnt solve it, its a W10 bug for 60Hz.

20 hours ago, 1./KG4klaw123 said:

To see it you must be in Insider Microsoft Program.

Fixed in Windows Insider Build 19624.

Posted (edited)

i am now getting distortion in BoS with both 60 and 90hz settings. odyssey+ hmd.

Fast ring insider build with 19628.

very frustrated.

new update: this is only the case with IL2 at present, or at least xplane works fine with no distortion. will verify IL2 install and try again, i have also removed 3dmigoto mod for this purpose.

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Dirt_Merchant
update

W10 2004 May update installed Today.

WMR 60Hz issue gone from now :) !

I see that IL-2 works great with 60Hz but with Motion Reprojection OFF = 0 ghosing and stable 60 FPS.

I will test more, it was only short Today's test.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, YoYo said:

I see that IL-2 works great with 60Hz but with Motion Reprojection OFF = 0 ghosing and stable 60 FPS.

Insider build version or official install?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Official , MS released it yesterday :D.

Awesome, thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Hi YoYo!

Could you elaborate a bit on the Motion Reprojection setting?  Setting it to Off produces ghosting?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Izel said:

Hi YoYo!

Could you elaborate a bit on the Motion Reprojection setting?  Setting it to Off produces ghosting?

Reprojection OFF = means zero ghosting and stable 60 FPS.

But according me quality of picture with 60Hz (noticeable refresh rate) is worse than with 90Hz, so maybe I still will stay at 90 Hz with motionreprojection as auto.

Edited by YoYo
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure if there should be any benefit of running 60fps on 60hz vs 60fps on 90hz - the 2nd option should still be better to look at. If you are using 60hz setting as FPS  limiter, newest nividia drivers have it built in and there is also FPS limiter in RivaTuner.

Constant 60 FPS in 60hz mode feel much more fluid than ever changing 60-90 FPS in 90hz mode. I use 90hz mode if i use settings that allow constant 90 FPS.

But perhaps not everybody is sensible to deviations from constant frame rate. But just look at the flipbook / thumb cinema analogy. Flipbook works much better at constant pictures per second.

Just now, Gomoto said:

Constant 60 FPS in 60hz mode feel much more fluid than ever changing 60-90 FPS in 90hz mode. I use 90hz mode if i use settings that allow constant 90 FPS.

But perhaps not everybody is sensible to deviations from constant frame rate. But just look at the flipbook / thumb cinema analogy. Flipbook works much better at constant pictures per second.

As I mentioned above - no need to use refresh rate to limit FPS to 60 when you can use Nvidia or RivaTuner fps limiter. 90Hz / 60fps will be smoother for the eyes than 60Hz / 60fps

18 hours ago, desolunatic said:

As I mentioned above - no need to use refresh rate to limit FPS to 60 when you can use Nvidia or RivaTuner fps limiter. 90Hz / 60fps will be smoother for the eyes than 60Hz / 60fps

I tried Nvidia's fps limiter and it doesn't have any effect, at least on an HP Reverb (using WMR) 

20 hours ago, desolunatic said:

NVidia limiter works for VR mode? Im surprised ....

Nvidia FPS limiter don't work for VR

I finally could grab the latest Windows update, and yes,  the 60Hz distortion is gone!  

Quick question,  is anyone experiencing blurry text?  The graphics look quite good, it's just the text that I see a bit blurry (even large fonts).  Unfortunately I kind  of simultaneously applied the windows update + the latest IL2 patch, so I can't tell if it's because of the new WMR layer or the new IL2 patch.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YoYo said:

NVidia limiter works for VR mode? Im surprised ....

my bad then, limiter in RivaTuner definitelly works though, thats what I was using before GPU upgrade.