Beebop

No or VERY Low Sound

Suddenly today my sound all but disappeared during Online Multiplay.  It is gone in Offline mode as well.
Yesterday everything was fine.  Sound was set to 65% which was comfortable.  Now, even at 100%, I can barely hear any sounds in game in or out of the cockpit.

I checked the Audio files in the data folder and everything there played fine and at volume.

Sound in Windows is fine, set at 100%.  Other games are fine such as 1946.  Audio plays fine for mp3's, Youtube etc.  Voice comms, Discord and Teamspeak all work fine.  Just Great Battles.
* Restarting the game, even the computer did not help

Used same plane and map several times as advised in one Dev post I found.  Also tried different maps and planes.  Result same, no or very, very low sound.
I looked through this forum and other posts but found nothing except one post that said it was fixed when he uninstalled a Windows Update.  I have not had any updates for some time and, as I stated before, the sound was fine yesterday.  Nothing that I have done or observed has changed.

* Mods are not enabled.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core processor @ 3.0 GHz
Mobo: ASRock AB350 Gaming K4
RAM: 16Gb DDR 3
GPU: Radeon RX 580 8Gb DDR5; drivers up to date
Audio: Onboard Realtek HD Audio; drivers up to date

Any help Appreciated.

Do you have more than one sound card installed? If so the game might address say your HD realtek driver, and windows normally another one.

Most likely it has to do with game settings, in my startup.cfg it says this for sound:

[KEY = sound]
    debug_radio = 0
    interface = 1
    interface_music = 1
    quality = 1
    volume = 1.00000

[END]

[KEY = track_record]
    fx_sound = 0
    record_graphics_effect = 0
    record_ground_vehicles = 0
[END]

Thanks for your input jollyjack.

In addition to the onboard Realtek I have an AMD High Definition Audio Device according to my Device Manager.  However I believe this is a software device possibly somehow related to my RX 580 card.  I have no sound card installed.  None the less it is disabled in Device Manager.
In addition I am not using an HDMI cable to the monitor, just a DVI.  I do not have built in speakers anyways.
(Samsung SyncMaster 2343).  My understanding is if no HDMI cable is used Windows does not detect it and therefore does not try to re-enable the High Definition Audio Device.

Here are my sound entries from startup.cfg;

[KEY = sound]
    count = 32
    debug_radio = 0
    interface = 0
    interface_music = 0
    quality = 1
    speedenable = true
    volume = 1.00000
[END]

[KEY = track_record]
    fx_sound = 2
    record_graphics_effect = 1
    record_ground_vehicles = 1
    tacviewrecord = 0
[END]

Edited by Beebop

jollyjack, tried your settings, no change in volume.  Still very low.

Maybe I need to re-install the game? 

Seems like a radical solution. 

I'll need to save my personalized files like the 'input' folder and 'startup.cfg' so I don't have to reset all my controls.

Sometimes this game can be exasperating.😖

Just to be sure - Did you check the Window 10 "SoundMixer" in the Control Panel when IL2 is loaded?
It sometimes randomly lowers the base volume of certain programms (and keeps the setting) - so your sound might be "normal" on Discord, or Youtube or in a different game, yet IL2 might run at 25% of Windows OS base sound volume (and your ingame settings just max it to that value).

I had the exact same problem about six months ago and the only thing that fixed mine was to reinstall, I'd wait until they put out the update and then save your skins, missions and Input folder for your joystick settings.  delete the game and reinstall with the new patch. 

Good luck

Hoss

Edited by 361st_Hoss

I did check that and the volumes were all up.

But with other odd things happening I just reinstalled the game and all the problems disappeared.

Something got buggered, don't know what so couldn't really diagnose the problem.  I, along with several of the folks I fly with, have had different problems in different areas and what seems to help is a reinstall of the game.  Dang inconvenient but it seems to work.  Hopefully, with time, these odd issues will get sorted out.

[_FLAPS_] - Freqently Losing Aircraft PartS

In the Navy we called that TFOA.......  had nice long reports for it too................ "Things Falling off Aircraft"

Cheers

Hoss

• Haha 1