Sign in to follow this  
Booker369

Just installed game, some detailed questions on control setup

Just installed the game couple of days ago and did a quick control setup. 

After 5 minutes of flying I am convinced about the game. Looks good, runs smoothly enough on my computer and the flight & damage models seem to be good as well. 

I have some detailed questions on controls that I did not find straight answer quick. 

1#

I am used to have a single button for zoom that zooms to gunsight view when I press it and unzooms back to normal view when I press it again. 

How can I setup this? So something like zoom toggle. Normal zoom back and forth I can set to some of the hat switches. 

2#

How about trim? I have used trim wheels on throttle, but at least on 109 F4 they did not seem to work immediately when I set them up as trim axis.  Do I need to set some buttons for this?

3#

Track IR seems OK:ish, but vertical movement could use some amplification. It seems that I have to move my head more up and down than in other games. Do I set it up on the Track IR application or in game? And how does it remember it for this game only, so I don't mess up other games. 

Thanks in advance!

Hello

Ad1. you can create a custom view but you must hold the button for the view to remain in that position.  You can change any predefined ingame view lets say u dont need the view offered by numpad 8, disable trackir/open track, hold numpad 8 and then use keys to move the pilot head to desired postion (insert, home, end etc) when postion is good (in ur case gunsight view) press F10 to save the view - remember numpad 8 must be pressed all the time until you save with f10.

Then when you press numpad 8 the custom view will be displayed when button is held. You can of course map it to joy  key.  As for button holding maybe there is an optin in joy to key (free software) that can hold the button for you until pressded again but I didnt test that.

Alternatively (but I dont recommend that) you can set the zoom speed in camera control screen to 100% and inertia to 0% so you can have only 3 zoom levels max min and default and then you can have ur gunsight view the way you decribed..

Ad2. 109 uses different keybinds for trim - find Horizontal stabilizer entry and map keys there

Ad.3 dont use trackir personally but any amplification of real life movement must be set in tracking software coz  in game you can only change smoothness of the camera (I recommend 50%)  speed and inertia (60% speed and 100% inertia works good for me)

9 hours ago, Booker369 said:

3#

Track IR seems OK:ish, but vertical movement could use some amplification. It seems that I have to move my head more up and down than in other games. Do I set it up on the Track IR application or in game? And how does it remember it for this game only, so I don't mess up other games.

I use OpenTrack, not Track IR, but the workaround should be something like this:

- create a new profile based on your current one in Track IR;

- associate this new profile with Il-2.exe, so that every time Il-2 GB is launched, this new profile is activated;

- modify the response curve for the pitch axis (make it steeper);

- if you don't minimize the Track IR software before game launch, you can Alt-Tab out from the game and make your adjustments directly.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the advice. Got the trackIR better and trim is in hat switch now. Trim wheels worked also, but they seem ti be worn out or something. Trim is not steady.

And with the zoom button. I think I will set up the zoom to be faster and assign zoom an zoom reset to another hat switch. Using the numpad custom views seem to mess up the centering of the trackIR.

One more stupid guestion. In the crosswind take off & landing engine is running at the start. When I press E the engine shuts down. When I press E again, engine won't start. Is there something else I should do?

16 hours ago, Booker369 said:

And with the zoom button. I think I will set up the zoom to be faster and assign zoom an zoom reset to another hat switch. Using the numpad custom views seem to mess up the centering of the trackIR.

I use three buttons for zooming on my HOTAS: zoom in, zoom out, and reset to normal view. It's more intuitive this way. You may also want to reassign the zoom keys to e.g. PageUp, PageDn, End or Home. If any key interferes with your TrackIR, don't use them, or disable them, or check your TrackIR key bindings.

16 hours ago, Booker369 said:

When I press E the engine shuts down. When I press E again, engine won't start. Is there something else I should do?

Check Requiem's tutorial video for that particular plane type. Sometimes engines don't start on the first attempt, sometimes they require certain controls (e.g. mixture, throttle) be set to prescribed positions.