Beebop

Using The P-38 Rocket Reticle

I have looked at dozens of P-38 tutorials and videos but have not found anything yet on how to properly set up your target for a rocket attack.  I have noticed there are two different reticles in the P-38.  One, a simple circle and center dot that appears when guns and/or bombs are selected and a different reticle when rockets are selected.  See attached.  I get that the top dot is the center of the sight but what do the 'v' with dot and the two mil markers(?) represent?

So far I have found no tutorial or even "combat" footage that explain or show it in use save a few seconds in one video where a P-38 attacks some tanks with bombs and rockets. There the pilot fired rockets when the small dot above the 'v' crossed the target but the second shot was when the target was nestled in the 'v' over the nestled dot.  Neither rocket struck the target.  No mention was made of attack speed, angle of attack etc. so I learned little from that.

I remember seeing one video a while back that clearly explained how to use the aiming lines on the IL-2 for bombing and rocket attacks and was hoping there was something similar for the P-38 rocket reticle.

Of course practice is the best teacher but a tutorial or clear explanation could speed up the learning curve and make practices more beneficial.  Even real pilots got some kind of instruction on using their gunsights.

On a side note, what is the guns/bombs reticle type in the P-38?  A N9?  I have found only two images of the N9 reticle, one in a post war F-84 which looks like the guns/bombs reticle and one on a P-51 which has six small pips at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8,and 10 and looks like the old '46 gyro sight.

Were there no mils markings on the N-9?  Without them judging enemy distance in a shooting resolution is a bit difficult.  The P-51 'six pip' reticle would be better IMO.

Thanks in advance for any and all info and assistance.

P-38 Rocket Reticle.jpg

Personally,  I would just go with personal practice.  I have watched several such videos which seemed to show that if you did 'X, then Y then Z' you would hit the target exactly every time but in practice it did not work anywhere near as well.   Everyone has slight differences in how they judge 30 degrees angle, slightly different delays before releasing the weapon etc. and it makes a huge difference to the final accuracy.   Even the person making the video and telling you to attack at 30 might actually be using 35 and when he says 'Fire when you see this' might be pausing a half second or anticipating and shooting slightly earlier.

Roblex, you are most likely right.  You make many good points.  That IL-2 tutorial on bombing/rockets did help me understand how to best use those markings on the cowl but as you said, it was practice that truly improved my skills.

BTW, I visited your Journal.  An interesting and entertaining read.  Great screenshots and the video was very enjoyable.  You show that perseverance is sometimes the key to successful hunting.  And your squadron's skins are very, very nice.

• Thanks 1

Curious about this too! Haven't played around with rockets much at longer ranges, I wonder what the correct way to aim them is.

Bombing seems REALLY easy in the p38: I just dive at *an angle* (somewhere between 25 and 45 degrees? it seems really forgiving), ease off the stick for a few seconds and let it settle into the dive, then pull up just as the target is about to pass through the bottom of my reticle.
Basically I treat this region as the bomb "crosshairs:"

1393604830_ScreenShot2019-10-21at5_31_46PM.png.5570f242f33c426b5fb3bdf514433b6a.png

Edited by von_Michelstamm

472/5000

In my opinion, given that the aiming system is the same as in P 47 and the missiles are the same, probably the launching technique could also be the same. rockets I believe you can aim in the same way as miri in P 47, the falling arc of the rockets will be the same. In the manual of the P 38 I have found nothing useful, maybe I will find something in some guide for the P 47.