Sign in to follow this  
Danziger

Distant Clouds in Clear Sky Setting

I play without clouds right now because the highest setting is too much of a fps killer and the lower settings don't look so good. I've noticed that the clear sky setting is completely nude of clouds. Is it possible to mod some clouds way off in the distance? Usually a clear day is just clear over one particular area with some sort of clouds in the distance. 

• Upvote 1

Not really. Cloud maps are on the order of 36km or something like that, and they are tiled across the map.

You'd either have to tolerate clumps of clouds several km away, or make the cloud map scale so large that they are essentially even lower resolution than they are now.

What about adding a 2d thing similar to the high altitude cirrus couds?

Something that would be a fixed distance from the player.

There are ways around what you are asking for, and in part they are ideas I'd already got to work in my various WIP cloud experiments motivated by entirely different reasons to your own, however in part LizLemon is right in saying that they would have to come with other compromises.

Not least would be that in this flight sim you would be moving as would the clouds, so even if they started as distant clouds on the horizon, you'd soon end up in the midst of them defeating the purpose of asking for such a mod.

The best way to achieve what you wanted would be to add the equivalent of a second skydome which naturally centres around the player, but then you'd be getting into major changes to the protected core coding which I doubt that the devs would view as necessary, possibly even a retrograde step backwards as prominent features on the horizon that never got any closer as you move would throw off any perception of speed or movement.