von_Michelstamm

Love the Physiology... now can we get realistic gun harmonization?

I'm thinking the current convergence slider remains in game, but gets called "simplified harmonization" and becomes a customization checkbox, like alt visibility and simplified physiology. I'd imagine it should be available on all servers so as not to divide the player base, since it doesn't really give an advantage (and may even be a hindrance, since historical harmonization was often designed to create a better chance of hits over a greater distance.) 
The new system probably shouldn't be more sliders, since most pilots couldn't mess with their convergence (and some players have complained that certain extreme settings are gamey), but it should be the actual documented vert and horiz settings and dispersal patterns (including ones proven to have been in use by units). There should be a menu in plane options where you can choose between several different preset ones, similar to how you can pick things like bomb loadouts. It could even be linked to things like ground attack packages.
Sim becomes more real, more interesting, and everyone is happy!

P-47_gun_harmonization_-_two_types-1.thumb.jpg.27e7ed5ac4b6a063fd0e2f18b4c4f0b5.jpg

I'm especially curious how this one plays out... looks like that cool firehose of crisscrossing death happens well after the rounds have already started to drop below the line of sight: pfeSluj.thumb.png.6a212a50f6c6d5aa22d7b9c2151f1dfd.png

Edited by von_Michelstamm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Yes, this is something I would very much like as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, this is something I would very much like as well.

I was bracing myself for a dead horse gif 😁

3 hours ago, von_Michelstamm said:

I was bracing myself for a dead horse gif 😁

Oh no, not at all! :) I would love, for instance, to be able to set parallel convergence on the cowling-mounted MGs of the German planes, which is how it was done in reality. 

• Upvote 3

Having two distinct Horizontal and Vertical settings for convergence would be a nice improvement, even more if it possible to set different guns to different settings...

Just don't overdo it like in Cliffs of Dover, instead offer one or two historical settings vs. the current variant where all guns fire at one point/distance in front of the plane.

I would love to have a function where I can put up the plane on a range and put up a sight disc over selectable ranges and then adjust every single gun and do my own harmonization pattern.

It would be a nice alternative game mode from multiplayer, where I get shot at least five times for every I fire a shot. Finally, it would be mostly me firing...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

Just don't overdo it like in Cliffs of Dover, instead offer one or two historical settings vs. the current variant where all guns fire at one point/distance in front of the plane.

That’s my thinking. Seems there’s controversy over players rolling their own with more sliders (I’ve heard both that it can be ahistorically abused in mp, and that it’s too complex for new players.) can’t see any argument with historical presets.

IMO more options can never hurt, but simplified options should stay for those who are uncomfortable with too much customisation.

So maybe a number of historical presets with the option to customise every single gun for those of us who feel the need to do so.

Here’s some low hanging fruit that could happen even before a change to the convergence modeling: let us save convergence (and fuel, load out, etc) for individual planes. So when switching between planes we don’t have to constantly redo everything.

Ui would be nice, but even being able to edit a file in the game directory would be fine.

id like to be able to edit default trim, too.

Harmonization patters are definitely needed, especially the shotgun pattern (top pattern).

Another thing is gun synchronization needs to be more realistic, currently the guns stay synced even when the trigger is held. Irl the guns will only be synced for a second when the trigger is first depressed, as the trigger is held the guns will fire out of sync more and more. Currently in-game there is gaps in gunfire due to the guns being in perfect sync, this allows players to fly through the gaps without getting hit. (I did this the other day when fighting my buddy, I flew through his gunfire and didnt get hit at all.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2019 at 6:10 PM, Legioneod said:

Harmonization patters are definitely needed, especially the shotgun pattern (top pattern).

Yeah - causing issues with ground attack missions.