Han

Developer Diary 233 - Discussion

1 minute ago, Han said:
Hello!

We continue our movement toward the release of Battle of Bodenplatte, but even near the finish line we still find opportunities to improve the entire project. This time we found a way to implement a significant optimization to part of the graphics engine that is responsible for displaying the clouds.

Work on the Tank Crew project is still in full swing, and new additions can be expected in the coming months.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 4

That is unexpected! Very nice clouds.

Han: any thoughts on why the Tempest CLmax is so high? (1.75)

Edited by unreasonable
  • Upvote 1

Wow what a nice surprise! Many Thanks. :salute: 

Great news.
Devs. Could you please give me something i could throw my money at?
When will the next expansion be preorderable?

• Upvote 4

Oooh interesting news. 

About the optimization of clouds: Does this mean, that you have found a way to fix the issue with jagged edges around objects when viewed up against clouds? If so, that would be a MAJOR achievement. 

The tanks look super nice - with and without skin. Can't wait to smoke a few of those big cats with a 122mm howitzer.

Edited by Finkeren
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Superb news. Clouds were a real problem. I hope you will fix the netcode too (microstutters even on strong PCs).

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

3 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Oooh interesting news. 

About the optimization of clouds: Does this mean, that you have found a way to fix the issue with jagged edges around objects when viewed up against clouds? If so, that would be a MAJOR achievement. 

No this does not affect the aliasing issue.

Jason

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 9
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jason_Williams said:

No this does not affect the aliasing issue.

Jason

Damn.

Well, we can't have everything, I suppose.

Edited by Finkeren

Thanks for your all your hard work guys!

• Upvote 1

Every time you think it's ok, you add something to it :) I must say I also liked the old clouds, but wow, can't wait to see them over Europe and the Russian steppe 😄

And the Panther ❤️ I can hardly wait to finally sit in this sweetheart! 

This is inteed very nice and unexpected surprise, that boiling effect is really annoying on my screen and ruins those otherwise beautiful clouds. Very happy you guys keep on tinkering things!

Sounds interesting.  Regarding the new Extreme setting for clouds: when you say "This option is named so because it combines somewhat increased performance.." does that mean the user gets better, less taxing performance for better visuals, or does it mean the user gets a somewhat higher cost in performance to achieve these new visuals? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Keep up the great work. I truly enjoy this product. Looking forward to career mode in BOBP.

With "boiling clouds" you mean that flickering and swirling of the clouds?

It would be so awesome if we will finally get rid of it without modding anything. So we can enjoy almost perfect clouds in MP too. 
I said it some time ago and I say it again - without this flickering, the clouds of IL-2 Great Battle Series would be better than any other ingame clouds. By far!
Well, at least for now.

Edited by PicksKing

Wasn't expecting something today, very nice!

These cloud updates make me long for the multi-layered cloudstacks of RoF. Even after all these years RoF still has the most beautiful clouds.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, LeLv30_Redwing said:

This is inteed very nice and unexpected surprise, that boiling effect is really annoying on my screen and ruins those otherwise beautiful clouds. Very happy you guys keep on tinkering things!

It doesn't completely eliminate the twitchy/boiling effect, but it helps minimize it as much as we can without a big affect on performance. 

Aliasing is an entirely different and much more complex issue that could greatly affect performance. Not easy to solve.

Jason

13 minutes ago, Luftschiff said:

Wasn't expecting something today, very nice!

These cloud updates make me long for the multi-layered cloudstacks of RoF. Even after all these years RoF still has the most beautiful clouds.

Fake News! We already have multiple cloud layers in IL-2. It's right there in the screenshot.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, IV./JG5_a7610783 said:

After the update, is the cloud processing mainly done by CPU or GPU?

Mainly by GPU.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, IV./JG5_a7610783 said:

Thanks for your response, this means that VR players can't adjust its performance too high XD

Ya, but this update means our other cloud options below extreme render faster than before, so it DOES benefit VR users. VR causes all sorts of issues that our not our fault or possible for us to solve.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Fake News! We already have multiple cloud layers in IL-2. It's right there in the screenshot.

Jason

Technically true but I still wish it was more pronounced, like more layers or more significantly vertical layers. Still, these new clouds look delightful, really looking forward to getting them!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dusty926 said:

Technically true but I still wish it was more pronounced, like more layers or more significantly vertical layers. Still, these new clouds look delightful, really looking forward to getting them!

You can adjust cloud thickness in the ME. You assume wrong about our cloud system Dusty. These clouds are superior to ROF cloud technology. In the QMb alone there are 50 different Cloud outcomes that are changed randomly each time you play. But you are entitled to your opinion.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Jason_Williams said:

You can adjust cloud thickness in the ME. You assume wrong about our cloud system Dusty. These clouds are superior to ROF cloud technology. 

Jason

I suppose, I've not toyed with the full mission builder. I use the QMB a lot more so the relatively random results there are what I see most of the time.

Best is when it's two layers with heavy clouds, gets real gorgeous then. I ain't alleging that ROF has BETTER clouds, I just think they're a prettier style. I still prefer IL-2's clouds because they're volumetric, which gives a way better feeling of actual, physical presence, so I wouldn't trade 'em out given the chance anyways.

Also that Panther model is looking gorgeous, I don't have Tank Crew yet but I'm super excited to see that going along, probably going to pick it up 'round Christmas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

You can adjust cloud thickness in the ME. You assume wrong about our cloud system Dusty. These clouds are superior to ROF cloud technology. 

Jason

yeah but only between y and x.

• Upvote 1

Jason, I know we have two separate layers of clouds, old pal! I was referring to a single stack of cloud rising multiple levels , like a pillar. -Or perhaps less dramatically, just some more vertical variance. Many good memories of dogfights swirling around and in between steep cliffs of cloud. ❤️

Edited by Luftschiff

Really keen to see what has gone into the new clouds, for as many know I've spent a lot of time experiment with improvements on this, so a major thumbs up for any improvements that have been possible and which allow even further scope for me to take things further still!

HH

Edited by HappyHaddock

Looks amazing!

Is it planned to have those side skirts and those mudguards on the Panthed D damaged by driving on rough terrain?

Tank you😁

The panther has the diving equipment, will it also be usable in the game?

Pz5_4.jpg.9386f7ba616a804eef92789fcbfebcf1.png

• Upvote 1

Always improving - keep fiddling troops, you all is doing very well methinks.🤗

This was a nice surprise with my morning coffee!

Even in an incomplete state, your Panther model is a beauty. I can’t wait to see the Ferdinand...

Great news on the clouds improvement thanks!

Newbie question: Does this mean we're getting a new patch this week? Or is that a feature for the big final Bodenplatte patch that is ~a month away?

Jason, are you planning adding voices to the crew of tanks?

Sorry if you mentioned somewhere already, Im just too curious about that

1 minute ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

There was a call some time ago in the German Forum for German Speech Lines for Tank Crew. So yes, I don't know how the Russian ones are doing but they are coming 😄

4 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

Look in your Audio Folder Radio/ger/actor91

• Thanks 1