US93_Larner

The Thursday Night Fly-In

Posted (edited)

4CZgb3o.png

About the Thursday Night Fly-In: 

Established in September of 2017, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a weekly community event created as a collaboration between the JG1 'Richthofen' and 103rd Aero Squadrons in order to provide a fast-paced, high intensity night of flying! A typical night sees large numbers of pilots locked in huge furballs, daring bombing raids, deadly scout patrols and much more! We greatly encourage pilots of all levels of experience to come along, make some new friends, find some new wingmen! 

The Fly-In kicks off between 20:00 and 21:00 EST each Thursday, at which point the pilots start to arrive and prepare for their first patrols. Historically we have had great participation from Squadrons and Lone Wolves alike, so you are bound to find yourself in the heat of battle before too long! But, a word of caution - it's not uncommon for large formations of scouts roam the skies - so if you're flying alone, keep an eye on your six! 

All in all, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a great experience, and its fast and furious dogfights are sure to leave you with some lasting memories. We hope to see you there! :salute:

TEAMSPEAK LIST: 

The following groups have kindly offered for pilots looking to wing-up to use their teamspeaks:

Jasta 5 - jasta5.teamspeak3.com

Be sure to check out the old RoF trailer to get a feel for the event. A new trailer for FC1 is currently in the making!

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Sounds like a lot of fun. I can join in at 20:00. Is there a particular TS everyone gets on? If not J5 TS is available.

Posted (edited)

One of the first videos I made back when I was a lonely two seater pilot with no friends. A promo for this event. Its RoF so let's get get some folks out and put some new faces, both unconscious or alert, in a new updated version!

It will be a fun time, do come on out! 

If you'd like to fly entente side with the 103rd, put on your dancing shoes with your favorite paint scheme, jump in whatever plane you like, and join us on our TS at:

ts3server://US103.enjinvoice.com/

Blue skies! (except for the huns)

::edit:: if you get some good recording videos of flying in formation, a good fight, taking of in formation, anything that looks cool, etc., upload it to a google drive or whatnot and PM me the link to download. I'll include it in future promo videos.

https://youtu.be/r-Tf6FlqEVM

Edited by US103_Talbot

2 hours ago, J5_Sturm said:

Sounds like a lot of fun. I can join in at 20:00. Is there a particular TS everyone gets on? If not J5 TS is available.

Particularly if you are a lone wolf and want to get crushed by incessant waves of US 103 flights.

Posted (edited)

And the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Edited by US103_Talbot
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

S! Sturm - no specific TS, but now that you mention it setting one up would be a great way for pilots to wing up with each other! 

And yeah, like Talbot says - any track recordings, screen captures with comms, etc etc, send em our way! 

Particularly if you are a lone wolf and want to get crushed by incessant waves of US 103 flights.

That's the best part! 

Edited by US103_Larner

1 hour ago, US103_Talbot said:

It will be a fun time, do come on out! 

If you'd like to fly entente side with the 103rd, put on your dancing shoes with your favorite paint scheme, jump in whatever plane you like, and join us on our TS at:

Blue skies! (except for the huns)

You're starting to sound like Plank.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

Greetings, all! 

We at the US103 Aerodrome wish to extend an invitation to all pilots of Flying Circus to join us in a weekly event that has previously been running every Thursday in Rise of Flight. Alongside our friends-and-enemies of the JG1 Squadron, we have been trying to boost community activity by hosting this regular weekly event - and we think the time is right to transition to Flying Circus! 

5TtMifV.png          

Established in September of 2017, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a weekly community event created as a collaboration between the JG1 'Richthofen' and 103rd Aero Squadrons in order to provide a fast-paced, high intensity night of flying! A typical night sees over 30 pilots locked in large-scale furballs, daring bombing raids, deadly scout patrols and much more! We greatly encourage pilots of all levels of experience to come along, make some new friends, find some new wingmen! 

The Fly-In kicks off between 20:00 and 21:00 EST each Thursday, at which point the pilots start to arrive and prepare for their first patrols. Historically we have had great participation from Squadrons and Lone Wolves alike, so you are bound to find yourself in the heat of battle before too long! But, a word of caution - it's not uncommon for large formations of scouts roam the skies - so if you're flying alone, keep an eye on your six! 

This week we will be flying on J.G.1's Flying Circus server

All in all, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a great experience, and its fast and furious dogfights are sure to leave you with some lasting memories. We hope to see you there! :salute:...

Sounds good, i will be there....

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

I did consider this briefly lol.

S!

(and S! Planky.. the emails coming ...)

Plank would never fly a SPAD.

1 hour ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

Plank would never fly a SPAD.

Yes he does...he invented the Plankturn.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

S! Sturm - no specific TS, but now that you mention it setting one up would be a great way for pilots to wing up with each other! 

And yeah, like Talbot says - any track recordings, screen captures with comms, etc etc, send em our way! 

That's the best part! 

As mentioned J5 TS server is available for anyone who wish join in. I am sure JG1 or US103 also have a TS channel as well. I will join where ever people are populated.

Edited by J5_Sturm
forgot to mention my status

2 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Some 6 hours to late for me.

An early morning every once in awhile never hurt anyone!

Sorry if I missed it, but which visibility setting are you going to use?

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

11 hours ago, 56RAF_Talisman said:

Sorry if I missed it, but which visibility setting are you going to use?

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

Ah! Admittedly I'm not 100% sure - JG1_Buttzzell is the guy to ask. I imagine there won't be any AV though. 

9 hours ago, Tycoon said:

How far away are the airfields?

There are both frontline fields and further back airfields. 

Edited by US103_Larner

12 hours ago, US103_Larner said:

There are both frontline fields and further back airfields. 

You should be a politician. 😄

• Haha 1

Had a fun session this week as we start to come to grips with FC and it's foibles. 

JG1 were out in force running their bombing and scout flights. We saw a bunch of J5 and lone wolves, most of whom were familiar but was also great to see new names too. The 103rd were down a few aces but still managed 5 flying most of the time.

The first map was from BoBp's Rhineland and had airfields close to the front and to the rear. The frontline was essentially a river ( the Rhine?) which meant the 2 close fields were very 'accessible'.

I didn't see much tactical flying in this map however there were some interesting scraps. A well-flown red Dr1 proved that the Triplane can climb dangerously well in FC and I had to revert to what Spads do well to get out of the mess I found myself in. 

Things went better when we started to fly together properly and we got a few, though not without loss.

The map roll brought an Arras mission but with no Spads or D7s. I guess this was to create a 1917 scenerio which is fine, though i'd like to point out that the Spad 13 we have in FC is actually a bunch slower than the SE5a and more like the 1917 version. But I would say that :)

So Se5as and Camels it was. 

We tracked a flight of 4 Halberstadts across the mud and intercepted South of Arras. Think we got 2 or 3 before a Pfalz interfered and got on my tail. Fortunately Capt Hunter was there in his Camel, unfortunately he seemed unable to hit the barn door being flown by a very determined Klugermann. Cue more cursing and threats of 1months gunnery practice for Cpl Hunter from his training officer!

The rest of the session reverted to the high altitude chess matches we're more familiar with on Thursdays. Talbot, Parsons and I stalking flights of 3-4 Albatros and Pfalz, or was it the other way around?

Each flight clawing for height, trying to use the sun, running feints and trying to drag. Really enjoyed this. Eventually we streamed a couple and sent a green tail Pfalz diving steeply away before disaster struck. Giving the green tail chase Talbot discovered Se5a wings still break, and, though I did level out ok, I was immediately bounced hard. Rather lucky to get away from that. Every bullet hole seemed to have something spewing from it.

The session was run with Alt-Vis on so it was a good chance to experience it in squad flying scenarios for a decent period of time. There are other threads for that discussion so will post our thoughts there. Hint: not a fan.

Thanks to everyone who came out to fly.

Some of the mission advancements in this game engine are so promising for squad based sessions.

Looking forward to next week  S!

Here's a link to our live stream. Timestamps to action are in the video description. 

https://youtu.be/iwQItduytNs

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reports Baer! 🙂 I’ve been quite busy lately, so I’ve had to miss Thursday nights. One of these nights I might be able to slide in after the event has started. 👍

Looks like transferring our Thursday night flights to FC has a lot of promise! 😃

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JG1_Hotlead_J10 said:

Thanks for the reports Baer! 🙂 I’ve been quite busy lately, so I’ve had to miss Thursday nights. One of these nights I might be able to slide in after the event has started. 👍

Looks like transferring our Thursday night flights to FC has a lot of promise! 😃

Cole, when you guys fly FC; are some of you on TIR and others on VR?  (I'm researching the advantages and disadvantages of both.)  

Hey folks, thanks for organizing these. I stumbled into the Thursday night fly-in with some folks that I regularly fly IL-2 multiplayer with and they had so much fun as turret gunners on some F.2B's that they ended up buying Flying Circus themselves. What a great time! I ended up writing an article about it without knowing that this was an organized event.

The intention is to run this every Thursday? If so I will write something about it.

Here's my write-up from Thursday night. Good times!

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/10/11/fun-times-flying-on-flying-circus-jg1-server/

• Like 4

Great write up Shamrock. You caught the essence of ww1 engagements really well.

Thursday night fly-ins have been running weekly on RoF since about mid 2017, so yeah, it will continue for sure.

Here's a link to the RoF thread which gives an interesting history and tracks the development of tactics. 

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/51030-join-us-103rd-and-jg1-flyin-thursday-evenings/page-21#entry705800

Originally an initiative of JG1 and US103rd it quickly attracted other organised squadrons and regular indies who wanted to run mission and squad operations. It also is the US103rds official squad ops night.

JG1_Hotlead's 'One life to live' livestream inspired us to also stream our pov and develop a vlife/scoreboard using historic USAS rules for victory confirmation.

Squad tactics and counter-tactics developed quickly, and by mid 2018 it was suicide to fly alone.

@US103_Larner is a good person to talk to about it. He's our adjutant and has a great written record of the Thursday night history.

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah Larner has a 90 something page book written from our after action reports chronicaling the Thursday night fights from the 103rd perspective. It actually reads like an Osprey book! 

I also used to write a newspaper article after most Thursdays written up like a propaganda piece from the period. I used authentic photos and created a copy of the paper from actual US Bulletins from the war. Real life took over my free writing time but might resurrect it for FC. They can be found here.

https://us103.enjin.com/2018newspaper

Definitely get with Larner and have him talk about our "squadron night". It is a very interesting concept and creates a "game within the game". The things he does are absolutely amazing. All squadrons should do something like this as it completely changes the perspective of the game. 

Edited by US103_Talbot
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Cole, when you guys fly FC; are some of you on TIR and others on VR?  (I'm researching the advantages and disadvantages of both.)  

Hey Pat! Yup! We’ve run a mixed bag and had really good results! A few of my squadmates run VR and have done quite well for themselves. 👌😃

On 10/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Fantastic. I think a future Community Q&A is in order!

Fantastic write up, Shamrock! Thanks for the publicity. A community Q&A sounds like a super cool idea too! 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/13/2019 at 4:06 AM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Hey folks, thanks for organizing these. I stumbled into the Thursday night fly-in with some folks that I regularly fly IL-2 multiplayer with and they had so much fun as turret gunners on some F.2B's that they ended up buying Flying Circus themselves. What a great time! I ended up writing an article about it without knowing that this was an organized event.

The intention is to run this every Thursday? If so I will write something about it.

Here's my write-up from Thursday night. Good times!

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/10/11/fun-times-flying-on-flying-circus-jg1-server/

Don't know how I managed to miss this before - spectacular stuff, sir! 

As for a future Thursday Night Q&A, good idea! Just say when! 

As Baer and Talbot mentioned, I have been working on a little E-Book that talks about the history of the Thursday Night Fly-In from US103's perspective. There are some pretty cool quotes in there taken from our after-action reports!  I'm currently going through the motions of editing what I've got and will eventually post it for whoever can be bothered to read it ;) 

Edited by US103_Larner

9 hours ago, JG1_Hotlead_J10 said:

Hey Pat! Yup! We’ve run a mixed bag and had really good results! A few of my squadmates run VR and have done quite well for themselves. 👌

👍

Thanks Cole.  They both do seem to have relative advantages and disadvantages.  

To me, VR feels better when I'm shooting instinctively or maneuvering with an opponent I can still maintain visual on

But the TIR guy has a clearer image, is plenty nimble enough to turnfight, and he can check his six easily whereas I just about can't.

I see research reasons to fly both together and segregated; something to be learned there.  

Prosit. 

• Upvote 1

Saute all.

Quick reminder for this Thursday night. 

We'll probably be on J5 Flugpark server this week as I know a lot of people are keen to try the mission stress idea with larger squads in action and AV off.

Should be live streaming by around 8.30pm Eastern at  https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulLMF

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Upvote 2

On 10/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, US103_Larner said:

Greetings, all! 

We at the US103 Aerodrome wish to extend an invitation to all pilots of Flying Circus to join us in a weekly event that has previously been running every Thursday in Rise of Flight. Alongside our friends-and-enemies of the JG1 Squadron, we have been trying to boost community activity by hosting this regular weekly event - and we think the time is right to transition to Flying Circus! 

5TtMifV.png          

Established in September of 2017, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a weekly community event created as a collaboration between the JG1 'Richthofen' and 103rd Aero Squadrons in order to provide a fast-paced, high intensity night of flying! A typical night sees over 30 pilots locked in large-scale furballs, daring bombing raids, deadly scout patrols and much more! We greatly encourage pilots of all levels of experience to come along, make some new friends, find some new wingmen! 

This week we will be flying on J.G.1's Flying Circus server

All in all, the Thursday Night Fly-In is a great experience, and its fast and furious dogfights are sure to leave you with some lasting memories. We hope to see you there! :salute:

Be sure to check out the old RoF trailer to get a feel for the event:

I'd like to say thank you for supplying a place for people to fly this sim.  While I've been flying sims for nearly 25 years, I'm new at this one, and I have much to learn.  Bear with me as I mess up, ask dumb question and say stupid s*&^% at times.  Us old people get frustrated at times.  LOL   

• Like 4

Great attendance tonight with a lot of action i look forward to flying with you gents again next Thursday and maybe see you on Sunday as well20191018031300_1.jpg.55b40cd79e1f07c00a2405fff403e99d.jpg

• Like 1

Really fun session today with good numbers for a solid 2-3hrs. Salute to everyone who came out :salute:

Great to see IGShot back up in a Camel, pity the poor Huns now. Also our regular foes from J30 transitioning from RoF, though at some point that means the challenge of dealing with J30Mein again! :(

Our session began a bit slowly, but eventually we had 5 Spads up and started finding lone D7s and a Pfalz/Alb pair. A high also D7f kept bothering us but Parsons dragged him down and we managed to send him off in flames.

Highlight of the night was a scrap with 6 D7s and 2 CL2s of JG1 i think. We spotted a couple of low CL2s sneaking across the mud and tracked them to Entente trenches. 1st flight went down on them while the others stayed up at about 2000m, and good job they did! Just as we knocked the first CL2 down two D7s showed up and Larner and Hobbs were fully occupied keeping them busy as Parsons, Talbot and i tried to climb back up. Suddenly 2 more D7s arrived and it wasn't a good place to be in a Spad. Larner shot one and smoked another, i got a long burst into one and he curled away streaming, but suddenly felt bullets ripping through my wings. Two MORE D7s! Fortunately a couple of Se5as turned up, God bless the RFC.

So we returned, 1 plane missing and many sporting holes, but buzzing after the encounter.

The evening ending with a number of scraps in the setting sun. Really pretty.

I'm not sure which side 'won' the map. I did see a message saying Central Mission Stress was at 1, which sounded low and our side didn't seem to have any supply problems.

Normal Vis was excellent for me (1440p). Could see planes at plenty of distance though it wasn't easy. Planes against the ground were tough to see, but no more so than RoF. Zoom worked normally. Flying Circus isn't perfect but with  good maps and right settings it's providing an excellent platform already.

Looking forward to next week. S!

Stream replay is here. Will get action timestamps done shortly.

https://youtu.be/6KIGc1PFYKI

Edited by US103_Baer
  • Like 4