J3Hetzer

Please reduce wind sounds.

Especially in the WW1 kites, they're clearly overdone according to in-cockpit recordings of real WW1 planes and ruin the otherwise superb engine sounds.

TIA. :)

1 hour ago, J3Hetzer said:

Especially in the WW1 kites, they're clearly overdone according to in-cockpit recordings of real WW1 planes and ruin the otherwise superb engine sounds.

TIA. :)

Have you ever flown in an open cockpit? 

I have, and I tell you: The noise is deafening. 

4 minutes ago, Finkeren said:

Have you ever flown in an open cockpit?  I have, and I tell you: The noise is deafening. 

I can fully understand that LoL. But still i refuse to put wax or cotton-wool into my ears just to save them from being destroyed playing a bloody computer game.

Take a tandem hang gliding flight. Or, less exciting but cheaper: stick your head out the window of a moving car.

Beyond about 60kmph conversation becomes very tough. And the noise goes up with the square of the speed (roughly speaking)

Be careful in either case...

I posted something earlier about the I-16 and wind noise.  Does the wind really drown the engine sound that strongly?  Before, I could adjust the engine settings with reasonable accuracy without using tech chat or looking at the dashboard dials.  Now, I can barely hear it. 

Those that ride motorbikes will know about wide noise and how it can affect your hearing

There's a graph that shows the relation speed and noise in this link, 85 Decibels i think is where you must wear some sort of ear protection in UK factorys

https://www.isvr.co.uk/workplace/motorcycle-noise.htm

maybe they should model somesort of ear protection  in game

Posted (edited)

As a biker I can confirm that wind noise can drown out pretty much everything at high speed, even the screaming engine you're literally sitting on top of. Of course, an easy "fix" for this problem would be to just give us separate volume controls for the main elements... engine, wind, voices, ambient, etc.

Edited by Goffik
Typo

1 hour ago, Goffik said:

Of course, an easy "fix" for this problem would be to just give us separate volume controls for the main elements... engine, wind, voices, ambient, etc.

Problem is, that this would be massively exploitable in MP. 

Putting your own engine on mute was one of the most common exploits in the old Il2. 

• Like 2

I ride a Harley with a very loud motor (no baffles in the pipes) but the exhaust exits behind my ears. In most of the planes the exhaust is in front of the pilot and while the wind noise in and of itself is correct it drowns out the motor unrealistically. So either reduce the wind or increase the motor is my suggestion. :)

There's an easy way to test this for yourselves, drive your car at 250mph then stick your head out of the window, this will indicate exactly how it sounds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mobile_BBQ said:

I posted something earlier about the I-16 and wind noise.  Does the wind really drown the engine sound that strongly? 

It does but the experience of actually sitting in a light, open cockpit plane is different than sitting behind a computer screen. You can sort of "feel" the engine running in a way that you can't experience on a PC. 

Just now, Melonfish said:

There's an easy way to test this for yourselves, drive your car at 250mph then stick your head out of the window, this will indicate exactly how it sounds.

Have the exhausts sticking out the bonnet, you'll hear the motor just fine.

i remember in 1946 with my 7.1 headphones i could always hear the 109 dropping in behind me from like 300 meters away. 

2 hours ago, Finkeren said:

Problem is, that this would be massively exploitable in MP. 

Putting your own engine on mute was one of the most common exploits in the old Il2. 

Aaaahhhh... as an offline player, I hadn't considered that problem. :scratch_one-s_head:

15 hours ago, J3Hetzer said:

I ride a Harley with a very loud motor (no baffles in the pipes) but the exhaust exits behind my ears. In most of the planes the exhaust is in front of the pilot and while the wind noise in and of itself is correct it drowns out the motor unrealistically. So either reduce the wind or increase the motor is my suggestion. :)

So you can’t hear your motor? Even with a full face helmet on, I can clearly hear the exhaust of my 1200 Sportster. It has short pipes behind my right foot and I don’t have to look at the tach because I can hear the rpm. The wind noise does drown out Bluetooth stereo speakers inside my helmet, but the motor is still easy to hear. And it’s only 2 cylinders, not 12 or 18.

I do have to admit that around 100 mph the wind is louder and the motor is less noticeable.  The motor tells you what it is doing by the vibration, like Finkeren said. I’ve never had it up to 200 and most likely never will... 😎

I think the point is, that even if its realistic, having loud wind noise is simply bad for your ears and with the WW1 aircraft you can't avoid it. We're not all young 20 year olds, some of us have hearing to protect.

I've posted about this before on the RoF forums. For us to spend hours wearing headphones and experiencing blasting wind noise isn't safe. Yes you can turn the volume down, but then engine sounds and other audio effects get lost.

Edited by US103_Baer