Sign in to follow this  
Rjel

Blowed up. Blowed up real good! Me-262 Kill*

Posted (edited)

At 31 seconds, you'll see the 262's canopy fly off. The pilot never tried to bale. Maybe not the best shooting I've ever done as I'm still coming to grips with the K-14 gunsight. But at the end, this was very, very satisfying. Some can claim the .50s were not an effective weapon in WWII, but I wouldn't trade them as they are now.

* I loved John Candy's humor. What a talent, gone far too early.

Edited by Rjel
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Motherbrain said:

Ooh that looks like it hurt. 😄

I like the filter by the way.

Thx. 

thats wasnt the canopy. It was the pilot by the looks of it

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Winger said:

thats wasnt the canopy. It was the pilot by the looks of it

No sir. As seen below, the pilot was still in the cockpit at the time of the explosion.*

I can't attach another picture because of the site's limit. I'll load the track from the German point of view in a bit.

2019_10_9__0_45_55_#2.jpg

Edited by Rjel

15 minutes ago, SYN_Requiem said:

He may have tried to bail but was too wounded to get out?

Maybe, but he stayed with the plane til the end.

could have also been the speed. I dont fly the 262 too often but once i got damaged and tried to bail out. I only got out when i slowed down drastically and turned her upside down.

5 hours ago, Winger said:

could have also been the speed. I dont fly the 262 too often but once i got damaged and tried to bail out. I only got out when i slowed down drastically and turned her upside down.

Could be. He wasn't going any faster than I was in the P-51. He still maneuvered after the canopy came off also. Regardless, the canopy came off, whether it was from getting hit or not I can't say. I still think it was a pretty cool effect that reminded me of several RL guncam film clips I've seen. 

From what i see in new update you cant bail out if your going faster then around 400kmh so that could play in.

I just noticed when re-watching this that there are a couple of instances where the bullets ricocheted after hitting the 262. I don't remember seeing that before outside of hitting an IL-2. Even then, I'm not sure if that was in BoX or the old IL-2. Is that an old effect in this sim I've missed?

Seemed like pretty decent shooting to me. And who ever said that the 50's weren't effective in WW2? In game, they seem especially lethal on the Mustang. To me, anyway.

8 hours ago, Poochnboo said:

Seemed like pretty decent shooting to me. And who ever said that the 50's weren't effective in WW2? In game, they seem especially lethal on the Mustang. To me, anyway.

There was a long drawn out thread comparing and contrasting the .50 cal and 20mm Here a couple of weeks ago. I agree  with you that the .50s and the P-51 are both better than I ever dreamed they'd be and seen very much inline with history.