BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part X

Hello dear friends. Today is a holiday in our country. On this day all the men clean shave, buy flowers, gifts and congratulate all women. Mothers, wives, sisters, girlfriends and often any girl they met on the street. We also want to join in the congratulations and want to remind all of you that, of course, the real men are fighting at the forefront, but every day they live with the thought of home and loved women. Leave all your emotions in virtual battles and always behave like real men at home. I don't know yet if there is a girl among our readers, but in any case, I congratulate you. You're a rare guest in our complex and all-male genre, and from this we appreciate you even more.

From Jason: Yes, we have several very nice women who fly ROF on a regular basis.

Let's turn from the holiday to our project. Another week completed. The most interesting was the process of recording audio samples for use in the radio system. A huge thanks to the guys from Germany, who are helping us with this. We like what we are getting. While I'll not tell all the details, but I'll say for the sake that besides the usual communication between the pilots in the air and communicating with the ground airfield services we will introduce a new role. It's the ground troops at the front. This system will communicate with you a voice in Russian or German, and will carry out the correction of your actions in a combat zone.

Today, you will see one more episode in a series of interviews with V.Barsuk. This unique video was shot at the air show MAKS, held near Moscow. The last video was a lot said about the difficulties with the taxi and landing an I-16. And we have a unique record of the accident, which occurred at the air show just in time for landing. No one was hurt except for the aircraft. Video camera was mounted on the pilot's helmet so we can see what happened through the eyes of pilot.

Full news

In before the cat. :biggrin:

I find it interesting what Loft wrote about his perception of what is a simulation.

Hopefully they will find a good balance of the two different approaches.

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo

It's the ground troops at the front. This system will communicate with you a voice in Russian or German, and will carry out the correction of your actions in a combat zone.

Interesting!

Thanks for the update. Some goods answer there, the scratches reflections in the canopy glass sounds great...and one thing I dont want to see myself in, that I-16 crashed without any "battle" damage, I dont want to be in one getting back damaged and been that blind, see how the pilot move his head like crazy to see whats in front of him!!! thats gonna be a hard plane for me to learn to fly.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

"(7) Now enthusiasts from ATAG themselves correct CloD (copyright for this game belongs to you). Whether any cooperation with this team?

So far none of them have tried to contact with me (or with anyone else from 1C-777) and discuss this possibility. This is a bad sign. They don't respect us. If there is no respect for other people's property, any dialogue is impossible. I hope that this is due only to the fact that this boys don't yet know what they want and what they have done. Therefore, they are shy."

this response concerns me, as 1c has stated modding is ok of this game, they themselves added the Mods thread, So what are you referring to this?

(copyright for this game belongs to you). This is wrong 777 studios doesn't own copy right to this game its sole property of 1C?

Edited by Mastiff

Thanks, nice one!

I dig the scratches, very good choice :)

Hopefully the I16 will be as hard to land as it is in this video... imho most landings in sims are way too easy. Hope BoS changes this :)
S!

I hope Team Fusion and 1C can get to some kind of agreement. There is probably not too much mutual respect at the moment: TF is composed of CoD customers who feel defrauded to some extent. The remaining 1C programmers on the BoS team feel thart others are meddling with their creation. But well, from a level of little mutual respect things can only get better... I hope they do.

Regarding "sim" and "game", it is really very easy:

A sim is a program made with the ambition to simulate reality. It can be done well or bad, but at least the ambition must be there.

A game is a program made containing conscious departures from reality. "We could have made this feature realistic, but choose to not do so".

- I don't mean to discuss god or bad sims or games, but the very basic difference is that one tries to simulate reality and the other consciously deviates from reality.  

awe ground loop uncontrollable? did the wheel break or was there a forward back control turn wheel like P51?

"(7) Now enthusiasts from ATAG themselves correct CloD (copyright for this game belongs to you). Whether any cooperation with this team?

So far none of them have tried to contact with me (or with anyone else from 1C-777) and discuss this possibility. This is a bad sign. They don't respect us. If there is no respect for other people's property, any dialogue is impossible. I hope that this is due only to the fact that this boys don't yet know what they want and what they have done. Therefore, they are shy."

this response concerns me, as 1c has stated modding is ok of this game, they themselves added the Mods thread, So what are you referring to this?

(copyright for this game belongs to you). This is wrong 777 studios doesn't own copy right to this game its sole property of 1C?

This makes no sense as Jason himself said (in executed thread from SimHQ) hes ok with TF mod as long as it sells CLOD (and it would Im sure). Maybe LOFT sees TF version of CLOD as a competition as we all know what is the raw potential of CLOD engine (dx11, FM, DM, effects, netcode, features, etc) and TF is tweaking all of this....

Phew. Im not surprised.

Edited by Tvrdi
  • Upvote 1

An interesting video and thanks for the answers.

Thanks for being true to the Friday update. Best parts for me were attention to audio, canopy scratches and balance between sim and game. It's all about the little details that create immersion. 

Good update. The comms sound especially interesting.

(The modding-team politics and discussion of game/sim I can take or leave, since it usually heafds in one direction only....the opposite of up)

Edited by falstaff

Also the original question confuses the matter by mixing up ATAG with Team Fusion. They are different entities. 

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger
  • Upvote 1

Also check out the bad visibility through the front window of the I16 in the video. It is much more blurry than in any sim i've ever flown. (especially when he lands, it's very dark through the shield). Clod unfortunately almost makes no difference between glass and clear sky.

Hope 777's gonna put some efford in this feature :)

There was lots of meat in the update, no need to be ironic and disrespectful, but of course that is the old habit of a lot of flight sim (so-called) fans... - You probably didn't think about it, but the developers are not obliged to give us weekly development updates, which - btw - is way above and beyond what any other games developers do.

I'd actually suggest to Loft that he stops with the updates because they're just stirring up a pot of latent hate among some (so-called) sim fans... I for one would be happy to just wait and see the final product.

Wow....I only said I liked the cat video, I 'respectfully' declined to contribute any oppinions on the rest of the content........I found the rest of what you said hillarious.....but then I probably got the wrong impression and assumed you were being ironic.

Scratched glass canopy + rain modeled on the glass (I think the last Friday update mentioned this?). Can't wait for some in-game screenshots..

Also check out the bad visibility through the front window of the I16 in the video. It is much more blurry than in any sim i've ever flown. (especially when he lands, it's very dark through the shield). Clod unfortunately almost makes no difference between glass and clear sky.

Hope 777's gonna put some efford in this feature :)

Yes agree....when Clod gave us exactly the same visibility problems it came from shiny props which was an utter outrage worthy of condemnation, hopefully we will be blinded by scratchy canopies and won't even see props.

S!

Thanks for the update. I hope the I-16 did not suffer too big damage on that ground loop. At least it did not look that damaged, but needs further examination for sure to inspect if the structure is intact etc. Not taking part in the modding thing at all, just saying that hopefully it will be solved peacefully between all concerned.

Isnt referring to Team Fusion as boys dissrespectful???They are working very hard to get a great bt unfinnished sim to a better state for free.I dont see any harm there and I find that comment unnecesary even when it comes from the dev team. :s

That was my original reaction, but I understand that the meaning was lost in translation. Perhaps "guys" or "fellows" would be a more accurate translation and certainly makes more sense.

Wow - was that even a ground loop?  The nose only made it about thirty or thirty five degrees to thr right before the belly hit the ground.  It looks to me like the gear might have just collapsed on its own starting with the left leg. 

Its said at the start of the video that the landing gear collapsed.

oi! Where's my screenshot? ;)

That was an interesting video indeed. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Loft may not be aware that modding was permitted by 1C since the early release of Clod, even having their own sub-forum provided by 1C for the community based mod effort

Well if that is the case then it would make sense.I would appreciate if someone on the dev team could clarify it.

I can confirm that "?

Edited by 89-
  • Upvote 1

I hope one day we will be able to walk around our aircraft and enter in this way.

• Upvote 1

Don't all rush to take offense. Referring to a group of makes as "boys" is a fairly natural thing to say.

No need to analyse things so minutely.

• Upvote 2

I'm enjoying the nearly weeky updates for BoS. Not enjoying the continued harping about how great CoD was/is/will be here. I think we all "get it".

• Upvote 2

The question is about the depth of the simulation, as you rightly pointed out, depending on the target audience (including age). In general, this is a huge question and answering it is like defending a doctoral dissertation. The quality of the simulation should be evaluated according to the result (without regard for what audience it's directed). You need to look as far as the result is correlated with the data that we see in the real world. If the planes are breaking the laws of physics then the simulation is shit, but it does not say anything about how the way we obtain the result. You have created a million lines of code to get a good result in the simulation or you wrote thousands lines of code. I think this is Chinese proverb: it's easy to draw the gods and demons because no one has seen them, but it's hard to draw a rooster and a dog because all seen them.

From Jason: This is the biggest problem for any flight-sim development team. What systems to create faithfully with full realism and which to compromise on. Albert has touched upon the big issue. Are we going to just simulate the systems and machinery or also the external situations and events with extreme accuracy? Unfortunately, it is impossible to do both in a PC simulation, especially when you have a finite amount of resources and time. Albert likes to create the overall illusion and experience of flying an airplane in combat, which he does very well. Some in the community want every button and knob to work as it did in real life. I am more inclined to that approach since I love to learn about systems and machines and that can be a challenge itself. But if we try to do both ???

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

There was lots of meat in the update, no need to be ironic and disrespectful, but of course that is the old habit of a lot of flight sim (so-called) fans... - You probably didn't think about it, but the developers are not obliged to give us weekly development updates, which - btw - is way above and beyond what any other games developers do.

I'd actually suggest to Loft that he stops with the updates because they're just stirring up a pot of latent hate among some (so-called) sim fans... I for one would be happy to just wait and see the final product.

Yes Freycinet, i too do feel this "latent hate" you are speaking about (though i really do not understand where it comes from??).

But i would not ask Loft to stop updates: many enjoy them and have good hopes this new sim will bring lots of fun. Why should they be punished when they are just grateful and enjoying what is given to them? I personaly would not like to see Loft stopping to post these updates even if i understand your point.

These times it seems like some people don't appreciate  the updates and more generally the whole BOS concept. I find it sad. I know we are all mostly living in democracies and that freedom to express ideas is welcome, no problem with that. On the other hand i don't get why these guys still bother to come around to post unkind comments and spoil the enthousiastic mood (in this topic especially) with bitter comments.

To me too, it is becoming a real nuisance with time -_- But what can we do?

Edited by RegRag1977

I'm enjoying the nearly weeky updates for BoS. Not enjoying the continued harping about how great CoD was/is/will be here. I think we all "get it".

Same here.

Yes many thanks for the updates! :good:

I have deleted some posts in this thread so if you see a post that you made is not here.. that is what happened.

The empty boxes in the vid are a perfect metaphor for Developer Diary, Part X. 

While I'll not tell all the details, but I'll say for the sake that besides the usual communication between the pilots in the air and communicating with the ground airfield services we will introduce a new role. It's the ground troops at the front. This system will communicate with you a voice in Russian or German, and will carry out the correction of your actions in a combat zone.

I wonder how common communication between ground troops and aircraft was on the eastern front? I know that the Germans sometimes used forward observers (Fliegerleitoffiziere) to coordinate ground support missions - see this link:

http://www.yogysoft.de/schlachtflieger_cooperation.htm

Did the Soviet troops have a similar system and was it possible for ground troops to communicate with aircraft with their normal radio equipment or where special radios needed?