HappyHaddock

Arras map - a lot to like...

I just made the purchase and hopped into a Pfalz D.IIIa up against a Sopwith Dolphin to give it a try. Using VR this is impressive. Well done Devs! Looks like a return for me to a favourite sim flying era.  

• Like 3

Wanna make any plans for Arras: Showtime !

There's a famous old time American fiddle tune called 'Train on the Island', might fit this too:

ARRAS Square.jpg

More FMB humor & fun:

2 trains meeting in opposing directions on the same track ...  and behold, they stop just before they really crash. This  without modern electronic railway control systems !

This happening was meant to be 1912 or so !

BTW compliments to the devs; a little feller ran off after the 'crash' into the field, and alas died there sadly enough. He should have gotten a nice cold & free pint in an Arras pub instead from his passengers ....

Train Meet.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
correction
  • Haha 2

Hear that whistle blow...yeah, it's quite something, especially in VR! It's remarkable! 

Being an avid RoF pilot I really expected better. No man's Land  is generic  and apart from upgraded textures it is a copy of RoF. The planes are RoF copies as well. I remember when 777 took over IL2 how RoF pilots were told they would not be abandoned and that the new flight models and advances to the engine would make their way to RoF. RoF however was just dumped,

When I read that Boddenplate and FC 1  are near release I feel cheated having bought FC 1

• Upvote 3

It was always declared to be effectively a copy of RoF, with existing planes / FM's 'ported' over.

It's still not officially relesed and all the non-plane objects are currently ww2 fill-ins. NML may well be improved too.

I understand where you're coming from to an extent, as do others.

We have to be patient and hope FC1 is added to, the potential is there. RoF didn't happen all at once.

One big improvement is the bots' performance - much better fighting than ROF.

S!

I am seeing steady improvements to FC1 and am very happy with just being able to fly Virtual Reality.   That's the big difference between this and ROF; the game's evolved to the next level of technological realism and I could not be happier to see that finally happening.  I know it's a work in progress.  I'm just grateful to have something that works and it looks like the Devs are making an effort to improve it; so I'm good with what's going on and will buy when FC2 becomes available, too.

And I'll cosign what Z_Fly said above: I flew a few sorties yesterday on a couple VR servers and what I thought were people turned out to be bots.  That part of it is really getting interesting.   

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, jollyjack said:

2 trains meeting in opposing directions on the same track ...  and behold, they stop just before they really crash.

I suspect a few frames later the scene changes dramatically. It does in RoF:

TRAINCOLLIDE.thumb.jpg.1eaeb55684d5e750502dc5d57a3bc16b.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I am seeing steady improvements to FC1 and am very happy with just being able to fly Virtual Reality.   That's the big difference between this and ROF; the game's evolved to the next level of technological realism and I could not be happier to see that finally happening.  I know it's a work in progress.  I'm just grateful to have something that works and it looks like the Devs are making an effort to improve it; so I'm good with what's going on and will buy when FC2 becomes available, too.

And I'll cosign what Z_Fly said above: I flew a few sorties yesterday on a couple VR servers and what I thought were people turned out to be bots.  That part of it is really getting interesting.   

The AI flies and fights better than most of the teenage sprogs did in the real war.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:06 AM, Cynic_Al said:

I suspect a few frames later the scene changes dramatically. It does in RoF:

No, it did not, no damages but for the runaway driver ...

Would love to see how the new Arras map compare to Rise of Flight version.

S!

The RoF map is great.  The FC map is absolutely stunning!  10 X better.

Forest , towns, roads and fields make a wow experience. Same for Bodenplatte.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nic727 said:

No significant difference in my personal subjective opinion. Oh, you can land your planes pretty much anywhere on RoF's; FC's fields are all boggy and the airfields quite hazardous beyond their small perimeters. You can still land intact across the craters in no-man's land though (bizarre).

9 hours ago, Nic727 said:

others have said it before but most things about FC are an evolutionary step forward from ROF rather than a revolutionary leap forward.

ROF has the edge in terms of being an older/cheaper  product with a lot more content, FC has the edge in terms of doing what it so far does do a bit better than ROF. If enough people support FC to make it financially worthwhile for the devs to keep working on it, it will grow to become the better product, though even as it stands I feel it to be worth the purchase price.

Flying high above the maps the look is much the same showing the connection between the two game engines, at lower altitudes you can spot the small improvements made in the FC map,  and whilst technically the FC map is still a WIP prior to final release I doubt there are any major changes still to be made to the look of the map (though it may get the spring textures due for Bodenplatte as they share map textures).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Any shots of the new frontlines in today’s update?   I’m considering buying.  

16 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Don't get excited, barely a discernible difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Buy FC for many reasons other than no-mans land, there's many things to like like that make it worth the price but no mans land isn't one of those. Much like in ROF it is adequate but it is notably the worst feature of the map and the recent changes is/are little more than making it a little less green and a little more brown, but I had to look twice to work out what had been changed.

Something that has completely changed for the positive are the roads. The cobbled surface looks so much better and appropriate than the old ragged-edge muddy tracks.

12 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

No grass at all, sea of craters with mud underneath. Looks good from altitude.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

I'm advised FC is "complete as originally described" but (like ROF) I figure (and hope) the Devs will keep making tweaks and additions; or, that we'll see improvements in a subsequent version of FC.

As it stands, I like what we have but think it needs at least this:

1. FIRMER GROUND  The ground is way too boggy.  We should be able to land, taxi, and take off from most level grassy areas.  Save the flypaper for plowed fields or actual swamps.

2. AERODROMES.  A tiny beaten spot surrounded by a few tents is NOT an aerodrome even if it does have a windsock.  Again, we need firmer ground in general;  larger takeoff and landing areas (like ROF); and some hangars and support crew / vehicles  / AA would be fine.

3. BALLOONS.  Yes please.

19 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

96xbMJ4.jpg

BDaKlvy.jpg

Edited by PatCartier
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I'm advised FC is "complete as originally described" but (like ROF) I figure (and hope) the Devs will keep making tweaks and additions; or, that we'll see improvements in a subsequent version of FC.

As it stands, I like what we have but think it needs at least this:

1. FIRMER GROUND  The ground is way too boggy.  We should be able to land, taxi, and take off from most level grassy areas.  Save the flypaper for plowed fields or actual swamps.

2. AERODROMES.  A tiny beaten spot surrounded by a few tents is NOT an aerodrome even if it does have a windsock.  Again, we need firmer ground in general;  larger takeoff and landing areas (like ROF); and some hangars and support crew / vehicles  / AA would be fine.

3. BALLOONS.  Yes please.

? It has balloons!

Big balloons... what more could one want? 😁

43 minutes ago, Thad said:

Big balloons... what more could one want? 😁

Tinsel, although evidently it has to be organic, and recyclable, so it doesn't damage the environment.  Sometimes, I just think people don't realise how difficult conditions were in 1918, I expect they work in an office, somewhere, pushing pens !

15 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Tinsel, although evidently it has to be organic, and recyclable, so it doesn't damage the environment.  Sometimes, I just think people don't realise how difficult conditions were in 1918, I expect they work in an office, somewhere, pushing pens !

Damn straight on that!

Some need to see this link below and take note of the narration about people's  personal experiences in the conflict, in the full version available on Netflix. Was an eye opener for me, especially the colorized conditions, injuries and wounds, opened a whole new perspective about the conflict for me.

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PatCartier said:

96xbMJ4.jpg

BDaKlvy.jpg

I never flew the previous version of the Arras map, but I had a chance to check it out last night. I’m OK with the color of NML, yet the water still looks a bit  too “tropical” to me. The banks look too sandy and bright, and the water seems a bit green. Am I alone on this?

S!

1 hour ago, the_dudeWG said:

I never flew the previous version of the Arras map, but I had a chance to check it out last night. I’m OK with the color of NML, yet the water still looks a bit  too “tropical” to me. The banks look too sandy and bright, and the water seems a bit green. Am I alone on this?

S!

For sure water color do not look right. You can check how it looks now . Other small ponds where contaminated with mud, dirt which fell everywhere.

Xmo8X2x-1080x675.jpg

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk