fiddlinjim

WOW-the P38 is Beautiful

15 minutes ago, Krisu said:

I honestly remember you being a girl. Whoops. 

I mean, Rani is a girl’s name.

1 hour ago, Krisu said:

honestly remember you being a girl. Whoops.

😁

IMG-20180526-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.d2ee1103f960bc91070f88c42ac238a2.jpeg.jpg

Edited by ITAF_Rani

7 hours ago, ITAF_Rani said:

😁

IMG-20180526-WA0015.thumb.jpeg.d2ee1103f960bc91070f88c42ac238a2.jpeg.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen - ok no, that wasn't a requirement but alright I'll take it 

8 hours ago, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

I mean, Rani is a girl’s name.

It was from the game chat. 

Once again, gotta say the P38 is awesome. Truly a great aircraft.

You go in with your big 2000 pounders, smash a target, zoom back up and suddenly you'e a fully capable air superiority fighter. There is SO MUCH spare power in that airframe (as long as you don't take max fuel, I usually take 600 liters) that it is a champion energy fighter. When you dogfight this thing in the vertical, you can absolutely reign supreme and turn a bounce defence into a victory. The roll rate is excellent at speed, and when you keep your energy up the elevators have massive authority and you can loop around at an amazing speed (watch out for GLOC!). Vertical turns and barrel rolls are the winning combination on this aircraft, and it can climb and dive like a champ (hence why fighting in the vertical is a bloody good idea).

And then those nose mounted guns with massive ammo loads are wonderful. All those centrally mounted guns, in one of the most stable gun platforms out there, means that you can make some truly long range shots, far beyond the range you'd hit with wing mounted guns. 

I've read Martin Caidin's Fork-Tailed Devil, and I can say BoX is doing the Lightning justice. Superb modeling, sound, and feel. Great job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely agree... P-38 pit is a work of art. Engine noises are icing on the cake. Congratulations 2 devs. 🍻

Is it just me or is the P-38 tail surface a bit weak? I was in a dogfight and was doing a pretty decent G turn and all of the sudden my tail section flys off and I crash. I hadn't received any previous damage so I'm puzzled as to why my tail was destroyed. I wasn't even near to blacking out so I don't think the tail should have been damaged.

14 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Is it just me or is the P-38 tail surface a bit weak? I was in a dogfight and was doing a pretty decent G turn and all of the sudden my tail section flys off and I crash. I hadn't received any previous damage so I'm puzzled as to why my tail was destroyed. I wasn't even near to blacking out so I don't think the tail should have been damaged.

Um, shot off? :(

The 38 is the stand out reason I bought the BoBP expansion. Was sitting on the couch late once evening, drunk, watching YouTube. Wife had settled in bed for the night, a nice doc on the 38 came up on my YouTube steam. Watched it, immediately drunk purchased BoBP. Pinnacle of allied design bar none. No sober regrets at all.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Yeah, if you adjust for a shot, especially yoke forward, expect the tail to snap where it wouldn't with any other plane.  Despite it being built to withstand double the tail load spec requirements in its day.

42 minutes ago, Taxman said:

Um, shot off? :(

Like I said, no previous damage and I wasn't being shot at.

12 minutes ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Yeah, if you adjust for a shot, especially yoke forward, expect the tail to snap where it wouldn't with any other plane.  Despite it being built to withstand double the tail load spec requirements in its day.

Pretty much what happened, was pulling lead to get a shot and then all of the sudden my tail goes to pieces.

Indeed the P-38 is quite a toy, I just need to get my crew chief to force the crew to watch this little film clip, especially the bit around the 1.00 mark ;)

Then it would be quite a toy, with a clean screen :good:

11 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Like I said, no previous damage and I wasn't being shot at.

Pretty much what happened, was pulling lead to get a shot and then all of the sudden my tail goes to pieces.

I thought so! I did this to an enemy plane on combat box, flying a damaged K4 back to base and a P38 came screaming up behind me. Got slow and jinked hard down and then back up, turned back and watched him fall to bits. Nobody else on comms had seen it before, suggested he must have been damaged. 

I have seen P38 pilots hit their tails on takeoff, that stuff sticks around. I've also flown a mission in the K4 with 4 kills, on the 2nd one I got some 50cals through my right wing. Continued fighting, got 2 more kills, RTB, did my turn on to final to land and suddenly lost the wing. Gotta be careful, even if the part doesn't seem damaged. 

I remain to be convinced but it is clear P38 pilots must take care with their tails.

2 hours ago, peregrine7 said:

I thought so! I did this to an enemy plane on combat box, flying a damaged K4 back to base and a P38 came screaming up behind me. Got slow and jinked hard down and then back up, turned back and watched him fall to bits. Nobody else on comms had seen it before, suggested he must have been damaged. 

I have seen P38 pilots hit their tails on takeoff, that stuff sticks around. I've also flown a mission in the K4 with 4 kills, on the 2nd one I got some 50cals through my right wing. Continued fighting, got 2 more kills, RTB, did my turn on to final to land and suddenly lost the wing. Gotta be careful, even if the part doesn't seem damaged. 

I remain to be convinced but it is clear P38 pilots must take care with their tails.

Going to echo the previous tail damage bit, probably related to a tailstrike due to breaking too hard (the nose gear rebounds something fierce). 

But I've flown the P-38 extensively, including in many intense dogfights, and I've never lost a tail that wasn't due to enemy fire. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Going to echo the previous tail damage bit, probably related to a tailstrike due to breaking too hard (the nose gear rebounds something fierce). 

But I've flown the P-38 extensively, including in many intense dogfights, and I've never lost a tail that wasn't due to enemy fire. 

At cruising speed you can reliably break the tail if you deploy around 40% flaps and nose down hard... If i recall correctly anyway.
   Generally once you deploy a bit of flaps in the 38 it becomes very fragile for some reason, which is a shame (for the 38) since flaps in IL-2 really lets you float and snipe rather well. 

Edited by Sunde

Love this plane. It’s so easy to skip bomb with, and the climb feels like a rocket.

i set it to 460m (which is the historical vertical convergence) and you have plenty of time on ground targets, and don’t have to lead much. That cannon is utterly devastating, feels more like a 30mm than a 20!

5 hours ago, Sunde said:

At cruising speed you can reliably break the tail if you deploy around 40% flaps and nose down hard... If i recall correctly anyway.
   Generally once you deploy a bit of flaps in the 38 it becomes very fragile for some reason, which is a shame (for the 38) since flaps in IL-2 really lets you float and snipe rather well. 

I had combat flaps down. I didn't tail trike on takeoff either. I have a track I can post, it was very strange.

I'd used combat flaps several seconds earlier in the clash, but they were sucked back up at the time of tail failure, sortie log showed nothing for previous damage.  Another Captain recorded a track, no one took a shot, and no flak.  That was me with closing for the shot there P7.