Jump to content
TheBlackPenguin

Congratulations! Your flight has been booked

Recommended Posts

I think my credit card can handle the $425 it takes for a flight on a B-17G...Gotta do it once right?

 

Anyone else plumped for a flight on a warbird?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as your flight is not booked via Thomas Cook... ;)

 

I've never booked a warbird's flight but can imagine you are looking forward to it.

 

I remember to have seen pictures (or a video?)  here by Heliopause. It was a flight over The Netherlands in a Catalina as far as I recall.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, hope for your safety.

 

I was driving home from work a few years ago and noticed a B-17 flying over my house, so I kept driving to the airport down the street. A few people saw it and came to see it land. It gave rides over the weekend, but that wasn't for me. Simply getting to walk around it and see it fly is as close as I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, von_Michelstamm said:

Hope you’re okay, penguin! Just heard the news

 

My immediate thoughts too after hearing the news.  BP, I really hope you are still with us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, Feathered_IV said:

 

My immediate thoughts too after hearing the news.  BP, I really hope you are still with us!

 

Thanks for the personal messages, I will be flying out of Palm Springs. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really glad you were not involved.  I think that gave a lot of us a scare!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I survived, the Flight and the 1hr and a bit drive there and back :). Which is good, especially due to the state of my car (getting that fixed in the AM, one reason I take these things in for oil changes, let them check the car out, the other is that I don't have the facilities).

 

It was...Amazing, there was an Australian WW2 vet who had flown all the way just to get on the flight, I overheard him saying he flew Hurricanes and lost his front teeth while doing so. When I talked to him briefly he mentioned Lancasters and too, not sure if people would move from flying to navigator, but he mentioned doing that.

 

You do get transported back to the 40's, to a degree anyway as Palm Springs and its desert like features is a far cry from the green and wet weather the UK experiences, but with a little imagination...I was actually quite surprised how squeaky the wheal breaks are and how much of a jolt there is during take off roll.

 

 

 

 

Taxi-in.jpg

Salton_Sea.jpg

Bermuda Dunes.jpg

Oh, for the final picture, Bermuda Dunes area is where my ex-wife is from lol.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheBlackPenguin said:

 

 

Bermuda Dunes.jpg

Oh, for the final picture, Bermuda Dunes area is where my ex-wife is from lol.

 

Pity you did not take her on the trip: you could have "dropped her off" at home. ;)

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like very fine day out. Seriously congratulations!

Bet you wish you were in the bombardier's position for that last shot   :biggrin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Penguin!

 

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Uufflakke said:

As long as your flight is not booked via Thomas Cook... ;)

 

I've never booked a warbird's flight but can imagine you are looking forward to it.

 

I remember to have seen pictures (or a video?)  here by Heliopause. It was a flight over The Netherlands in a Catalina as far as I recall.

 

 

Was just looking those Catalina pics up Uufflakke! .... haha. Brings back memories....

 

I remember on my Catalina flight there was an ret. (Dutch) Navy Doctor. He had flown aboard many navy planes back in the days. Not a Catalina

however. At the beginning of the take -off some of the faces started to look a bit worried (not knowing what exactly happenes at a moment like that

(engine noise/vibration). I look at the old Navy doc. He looks my way. We're both grinning from ear to ear ...... Priceless!!!

 

And that video offcourse! https://vimeo.com/106056861

 

Catalina Doorman.png

Edited by Heliopause
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Heliopause said:

Congrats Penguin!

 

 

Was just looking those Catalina pics up Uufflakke! .... haha. Brings back memories....

 

I remember on my Catalina flight there was an ret. (Dutch) Navy Doctor. He had flown aboard many navy planes back in the days. Not a Catalina

however. At the beginning of the take -off some of the faces started to look a bit worried (not knowing what exactly happenes at a moment like that

(engine noise/vibration). I look at the old Navy doc. He looks my way. We're both grinning from ear to ear ...... Priceless!!!

 

And that video offcourse! https://vimeo.com/106056861

 

Catalina Doorman.png

 

Wow, that was a fun time! thanks for the video too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...