Jason_Williams

Need HELP! Ace List for UK and Germans 9/44-4/45

Everyone,

We desperately need help locating and organizing a list of the top 40-50 (or as many as we can find) British and German aces for the period that BOBP covers which is from about Sept. 44 to April 45. We have the American list of Aces all sorted, but have no such organized data for British and German. Once again I save the hardest bit for least. I gotta stop doing that. 

Can any of you help us out. We have to crunch and get this done unfortunately. There doesn't seem to be an easy source for this info so we turn to you guys. I can offer some compensation for your time and effort.

Here are the dates we need the data for. The list will be in the Career newspaper.

For the British it can include any pilot from anywhere flying for the RAF or RN. i.e. Free French pilot flying for RAF or a commonwealth pilot.

9/17/44
9/24/44
9/30/44
10/02/1944
10/08/1944
10/15/44
10/22/44
10/29/44
11/5/44
11/12/1944
11/19/44
11/26/44
12/03/1944
12/10/1944
12/16/44
12/23/44
12/26/44
01/01/1945
01/07/1945
01/14/45
01/21/45
01/28/45
02/03/1945
02/08/1945
02/15/45
02/22/44
02/28/45
03/07/45
03/14/45
03/21/45
03/28/45
04/01/45

Please post in this thread if you can help.

Jason

For the RAF, it would be based on medal awarded: ‘ace’ was not really a focus but rather operations, leadership etc (ie, general achievement stuff).

This should be available, but ‘top 50’ is less applicable for the RAF approach.

Not awards. Just kills. Is there a British source that lists kills by date? I have a big list of British aces with 5 or more kills. 

Jason

16 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Not awards. Just kills. Is there a British source that lists kills by date? I have a big list of British aces with 5 or more kills. 

Jason

Jason I have mailed you directly with download link. I think it may provide you with the information are searching for..

I have a book with all the daily RAF kills (will share more when i get home). Do we need the kills for the days listed, or the running totals?

Guys, I've contacted Jason about this and have it all in order. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys,

We know who the aces are, we don't know all the dates of their shoot downs. That's the whole point. A running total of who's the best.

Anyways, if you have some useful info about totals and dates please share. Luke has found some resources, but we can always use more.

Jason

There is a book called "RAF Fighter Command Victory Claims" by John Foreman that lists all the RAF fighter claims day by day, similarly to how Hajo_Garlic's link lists Luftwaffe claims. Volume 3 covers 1943 - 1945.

Jason, 

I happen to know a good source with lots of info surrounding kills made by German aces. (Not all aces but quite a few)
It includes: dates, the pilot that made the kill, what unit the pilot flew for at the time, what plane was shot down, what altitude, and where the kill was made. 
The only issue is that the site is a bit poorly set up but you should be able to find most info by scrolling down to the section "List of aircraft shot down by Luftwaffe Units and Pilots" and then you will find a lot of know info regarding the kills made. 

The second method is to scroll to the section "Axis powers - German forces - German fighters" and then click on the plane type the pilot flew, then the unit he was part of, and lastly, scroll down until you find the ace you are looking for. (On some pages you have to look for a red bar with the text "Some of the leading luftwaffe aces")

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2.html

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

Edited by BlackHellHound1

4 hours ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

There is a book called "RAF Fighter Command Victory Claims" by John Foreman that lists all the RAF fighter claims day by day, similarly to how Hajo_Garlic's link lists Luftwaffe claims. Volume 3 covers 1943 - 1945.

That's the book i was referring to. The problem is that there is no running tally, just daily kills.

So you would have to manually add up all the kills over a year or so.

9 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

This would seem to be rather good also. Might pick this up myself too. For example check out page 472 that gives the details for Stanley Orr's victories.

Aces High: A Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Pilots of the British and Commonwealth Forces in WWII (ISBN 1898697000)

That's the primary resource I'm using for this project. 

Of course, you probably already know about this lengthy and excellent (and full of stats) book:  https://www.amazon.com/Bodenplatte-Luftwaffes-Stackpole-Military-History/dp/0811706869 (Bodenplatte: The Luftwaffe's Last Hope - by John Manrho & Ron Putz; ISBN: 0811706869).  I own and recently read it - largely in anticipation of IL-2 GB latest release on the same topic.

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That's the primary resource I'm using for this project. 

Does it have day-by-day stuff? That's the kind of 2nd TAF detail that might be needed from the very specific books.

Just to be an utter PITA, the RAF / forces / UK newspapers did not publish this kind of thing. The Germans lapped it up, but it was not a British concept or approach.

Just for information, 3x volumes of 2nd Tactical Air Force (June 43 -  May 45) by Christopher Shores and Chris Thomas Volumes 2&3 cover the dates and events of 2nd Tactical Air Force during the periods Jason is particularly interested in. These books provide in detail, each day, a breakdown of the activities of 2nd TAF pilots, listing all pilots (active on that date), ranks, Squadrons, aircraft type/serial no, targets,  kills etc and all 2nd TAF activities as they occurred on that date. There is also limited details of the Luftwaffe activity over this period.

If  “Aces High: A Tribute to the Most Notable Fighter Pilots of the ..., Volume 2” does not fulfil your requirements, it may be worth reviewing the volumes noted above. I note that Christopher Shores was also joint author of “Aces High”, so I presume he is an authority on this subject.

21 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

That's the book i was referring to. The problem is that there is no running tally, just daily kills.

So you would have to manually add up all the kills over a year or so.

Start with a list of the top x aces at the war's end from this or another source: make x a bit bigger than y, the number the newspaper shows. Then work back a week at a time and give figures of kills for the aces on that list by week: subtract to give the prior weekly totals.  Bit time consuming but straightforward with a spreadsheet.

I would be happy to do it but do not have that book and the only seller on Amazon does not deliver internationally. 

9 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Does it have day-by-day stuff? That's the kind of 2nd TAF detail that might be needed from the very specific books.

It does in the sense that there are rows for each date where the pilot made a claim and what that claim ended up becoming (Probable, Destroyed, Shared, etc). There are excerpts of it on Google Books. 

For some reason suspected that book might have been your source. Seen it referenced in bunch of other books that I've read. I've ordered a copy now also as looks great. Do you have the second volume that "updates the information in the first volume and adds some new names" also?

3 hours ago, Oliver88 said:

Do you have the second volume that "updates the information in the first volume and adds some new names" also?

No, I don't. Hopefully at some point I can pick it up, though. 

This website has first and last name, unit, type aircraft, aircraft killed and date and even the time.

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/LuftwaffeVictoriesByNameDatabase/?s=350&q=Erich

Type in the first name of the pilot. Don't use the last name. It doesn't work this way for some reason. Then just keep scrolling and going through the pages.

CLICK THE 'DATABASES' TAB to view more data.

Example

Capture.thumb.PNG.dccfdf63503031fcdc512dc4a57e90c8.PNG

Edited by 361st_SPEKTRE76