ATAG_Pattle

TFS 5 0 Map WIP - Halfaya Pass - Dawn footage

Hi all, We received a great response from the images released earlier this week.

Here is the video footage of a dawn flight over the same area.

This is of course, still work in progress, and missing quite a number of elements which will be in the final release, among them changes to anti-aliasing, changes to weather systems, dust effects as well as additional ground terrain objects like rock formations.  😉

Cheers,

Pattle
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Excellent
it gave me a lot of joy

You hit the table!

For all the bigmouths !! the video should be called

Thank you

First thing to say, great audio track by Joost, haunting  cinematic and perfect for this video. (and v5.00 release).

The only problem now is that this shows how poor the original map is in comparison. The texture tiles in this map look much more detailed (even with sand). 

The footage also looks very, very smooth (very rare stutter), almost looks like filmed at 60-fps?

I did notice the objects still popping into view (like the smoke columns)  and wonder if there is any way of making the render bubble be less harsh so the objects fade into view  rather than pop into view. Maybe use a similar system that allows the extended clouds to blend/fade into existence?
Great choice of time of day to show how gorgeous the new map is, texture work is exquisite and the environment/scale impressive too.
One suggestion I would make when creating videos, turn off info windows as this takes you out of the cinematic and also hit F10 so the mouse pointer disappears and doesn't activate mouse over text in the cockpit.
Great update.....would have been amazing of the video had cut to the Wellington cockpit instead of the Cr. 42....but it'll come 👍

Will be interesting to see this reshot with the new weather/cloud effects and see how the fps holds up, hopefully soon? 

Really looking forward to the dust effects for this environment, especially the aircraft taking off (prop wash on the ground and water like the original IL2) and tank/truck trails as they drive across the sand. Would it be possible to have a visual representation of wind effects (doesn't have to be physx driven)  just visually that may just show dust blowing around at ground level? Just features that make the environment come alive? 

Anyway, cracking update, cheers, Mysticpuma. 

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Like 1

Honestly  can't wait to see Tobruk :)

the-attack-on-tobruk-1942.jpg

Judging by this map, there should be lots of defences like wires, anti-tank traps, bunkers, forts. Would be amazing if there was POW camp and cementary. So that may be quite a view to see such a fortified location from the sky.

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Looks superb, eagerly awaiting the chance to actually fly over the terrain myself.:cool:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, InProgress said:

Honestly  can't wait to see Tobruk :)

the-attack-on-tobruk-1942.jpg

Judging by this map, there should be lots of defences like wires, anti-tank traps, bunkers, forts. Would be amazing if there was POW camp and cementary. So that may be quite a view to see such a fortified location from the sky.

Much of the fortification  was built into the ground and designed to be relatively inconspicuous.

What will be visible is the Anti-Tank ditch... which will be included.

Other elements can be added by the mission builder... they are not permanent.

The Fortifications were built up over time during the seige.... and after the British relieved Tobruk during operation Crusader in November 1941, they let the defenses lapse and degrade.... they were not as much of a challenge for Rommel when he attacked in June of 1942.

So it is better to allow the mission builders to decide what level of fortification is there... rather than make them permanent and static.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

So it is better to allow the mission builders to decide what level of fortification is there... rather than make them permanent and static.

I know it's a bit of future thinking. But what if there will be career mode one day? It's something randomly generated isn't it? So you can't really place stuff as you wish for missions. It would use default map. We can see it in BoX. Scripted campaigns are more alive with well build mission arena. Would not that make a career a bit empty in tobruk, if there are not fixed fortifications or historical markers like POW camp.

Edited by InProgress

Looking pretty good!

Just for fun if anybody is planning to watch it again;  Starting from about 10 seconds in, let the video play full-screen with the sound turned down.  But while doing so, simultaneously play the music in the second video.   Its rather cool   ;)

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, ATAG_Pattle said:

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Looking pretty good!

Just for fun if anybody is planning to watch it again;  Starting from about 10 seconds in, let the video play full-screen with the sound turned down.  But while doing so, simultaneously play the music in the second video.   Its rather cool   ;)

Logged in just to say : nice find!!! fitting wel together!
:friends:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, InProgress said:

I know it's a bit of future thinking. But what if there will be career mode one day? It's something randomly generated isn't it? So you can't really place stuff as you wish for missions. It would use default map. We can see it in BoX. Scripted campaigns are more alive with well build mission arena. Would not that make a career a bit empty in tobruk, if there are not fixed fortifications or historical markers like POW camp.

No, a well written Dynamic Campaign Generator will include the option to use as a base, whatever mission file you wish to designate.  It would not use an empty default map.

And as time passes, you can program the DCG to use a different base mission file past a different point in time.

But we are not guaranteeing a DCG for TF 5.0... we are working on it but it is unclear if it will be available.

There will be scripted campaigns.

Obviously a 3rd party may also choose to create their own DCG as they did for the original CoD/TF Mod.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:11 AM, Feathered_IV said:

Just for fun if anybody is planning to watch it again;  Starting from about 10 seconds in, let the video play full-screen with the sound turned down.  But while doing so, simultaneously play the music in the second video.   Its rather cool   

Nice tip. This fit well as background music too:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0Tmydj29M

18 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Nice tip. This fit well as background music too:  

Nah :PI think clod has more of a serious style than a battle music. The guy who made that song for Tobruk did realy great job. It kind of fits north africa and has that serious tone of great events and tragedy combined, while bf music is just happy war heroic theme. So far i love the soundtrack, hope other songs will be like this.

This guy makes really amazing music, if anyone wants here is his stuff:

https://soundcloud.com/joost-schlebaum

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 1

How I wish some people who can't stop badmouthing CloD in other forums would just visit those updates here every now and then and just shut the frug up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, danielprates said:

How I wish some people who can't stop badmouthing CloD in other forums would just visit those updates here every now and then and just shut the frug up.

They are simply scared that clod is some kind of competition that will hurt their holy grail of box. Or think that once clod does africa it will lock box forever and they will never be able to go there. It's the only thing that always show up. Like *clod exist* "oh god no, devs would totally do battle of britain by now if it was not for clod!".

3 hours ago, InProgress said:

They are simply scared that clod is some kind of competition that will hurt their holy grail of box. Or think that once clod does africa it will lock box forever and they will never be able to go there. It's the only thing that always show up. Like *clod exist* "oh god no, devs would totally do battle of britain by now if it was not for clod!".

Yup. And they have the right for an opinion about that too, but some over-do it. 

Honestly I think CloD is better than BoX in some respects. BoX is the overall better sim because it is more modern and benefits from previous experience, besides having a great dev team, but that is not to say that CloD is beaten all across the board. I don't say it over there because I know the reaction it would cause. But I do take issue whenever CloD falls under attack. Damn it makes me mad!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, danielprates said:

I don't say it over there because I know the reaction it would cause. 

Over where?