AEthelraedUnraed

Off-limit files?

Hello fellow pilots,

I've been trying to change the payload options of one of the aircraft, but it's giving me headaches. Whenever I change something, the game crashes when I try to start a (quick) mission with that aircraft. It goes to the final screen with the mission briefing, where you can change the payload of your aircraft (the new payload option even shows up!), but when I click "start", the screen turns black. I suspect an error message comes up somewhere in the background but fails to come forward, as the game keeps running and if I press escape or enter it plays the same clicking sounds as otherwise (I can also exit the game normally after pressing escape and enter a couple of times, as you would expect in that case). (If anyone should ask, yes, I've got Mods switched on.)

In order to make the desired changes, I've made edits to the file data/luascripts/worldobjects/planes/[planename].txt (I've tried it with different aircraft). Now I've tested a bit more, and as long as the [planename].txt file is byte-identical to the original, it loads fine, but as soon as I make even the tiniest possible edit (change, delete or add a single character to/from a comment), it crashes. Now in the topic pinned at the top of the Mods forum (link below), it says that "we may take steps to [...] make specific files off limits".

I suspect this is the case for the data/luascripts/worldobjects/planes/* files, and that sometime during the mission loading process a hash comparison is done between the file and some pre-stored value; could anyone confirm this? Or am I doing something very stupid and missing a completely obvious reason why it doesn't work? Or does it indeed compare hashes, but is the compared-to value editable in some other file?

If the former is the case, and these files are indeed off-limits, could someone more knowledgeable than me, or even a Dev, come up with a list of files/directories that we cannot edit? I've tried searching through the forums, but nothing really shows up.

Thanks!

The folder  data/luascripts/worldobjects isn't part of a stock install of the current IL2 BoX as far as I can see. Where did you get it from?

As for a list of non-editable files, I'd think it was safe to assume that files which would allow the alteration of aircraft performance or capabilities would be off-limits.

data/luascripts/worldobjects/fixcameras/planes was where the text files that allowed us to edit the position of additional fix cameras used to live. 

Removed from base install because of MP cheating, according to Jason.  Not sure if it still works with mods on: see thread.

As for what is on  limits: you can see from the mod sub forum what has been achieved so far and it is basically cosmetic changes to some visual effects and some replacement sound files.

Both thanks for your replies.

8 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

The folder  data/luascripts/worldobjects isn't part of a stock install of the current IL2 BoX as far as I can see. Where did you get it from?

As for a list of non-editable files, I'd think it was safe to assume that files which would allow the alteration of aircraft performance or capabilities would be off-limits.

It's in one of the Planes.gtp files (can't recall which one).

The Mods On option has effectively disabled people from changing the file to cheat in MP by, let's say, loading a 2300kg bomb on your bf109, so I don't think changing weapon loadouts is too much of a problem in SP.

(if, by "performance", you refer to speed, turn rate etc., those are not in the [planename].txt files, or at least I couldn't find them there.)

3 hours ago, unreasonable said:

data/luascripts/worldobjects/fixcameras/planes was where the text files that allowed us to edit the position of additional fix cameras used to live. 

Removed from base install because of MP cheating, according to Jason.  Not sure if it still works with mods on: see thread.

As for what is on  limits: you can see from the mod sub forum what has been achieved so far and it is basically cosmetic changes to some visual effects and some replacement sound files.

Thanks for linking that thread! In it, Jason_Williams says the files are indeed "remove[d] from the default game" because of cheating, but "still worked in Mods On". He then proceeds to say in a later post that the mod won't work anymore, but I presume that is because they changed the location of the camera data (he then posts his own fix with the new file location). So what I gather from that thread is that basically the [planename].txt files should still work in Mods On mode?

What has been achieved so far is not always a good guide to what's possible ;) Many of the files are incredibly long and full of data (a testimony to the immense amount of work that has been put into this game!) and have all kinds of links to other, equally long files. Many changes hence require simultaneous edits to multiple files, and if as much as a single line in one of these files isn't what it should be, the game doesn't work (although usually an error message in Russian pops up instead of the screen turning black).

1 hour ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

What has been achieved so far is not always a good guide to what's possible ;)

I agree - but if you look at the history of Rise of Flight, people were able to mod the behaviour of flak, aircraft gunners and AI pilots: also the rate of fire of guns, gunner arcs and to an extent the DM, all by changing single text files.  AFAIK none of these have been done in BoX: perhaps they are possible, but the fact is that BoX appears to be much more difficult to mod, whether by design or just as a side effect of the new engine architecture I do not know.

Anyway good luck! 

1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

I agree - but if you look at the history of Rise of Flight, people were able to mod the behaviour of flak, aircraft gunners and AI pilots: also the rate of fire of guns, gunner arcs and to an extent the DM, all by changing single text files.  AFAIK none of these have been done in BoX: perhaps they are possible, but the fact is that BoX appears to be much more difficult to mod, whether by design or just as a side effect of the new engine architecture I do not know.

Anyway good luck! 

I've messed around with AI. The big issue is testing it out, which is made very difficult because you have to have repeatable scenarios.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Thanks for linking that thread! In it, Jason_Williams says the files are indeed "remove[d] from the default game" because of cheating, but "still worked in Mods On". He then proceeds to say in a later post that the mod won't work anymore, but I presume that is because they changed the location of the camera data (he then posts his own fix with the new file location). So what I gather from that thread is that basically the [planename].txt files should still work in Mods On mode?

The files that Jason posed there combined with using mods on mode does indeed work.

Edited by Oliver88
  • Thanks 1

你修改后,在自定义任务里用AI来驾驶,就可以看到修改效果,我已经改了,如果可以我们可以交流,但是我只会中文,不会英文和俄文,只能依靠GOOGLE的翻译功能。

Edited by SL19711105buhesulong

On 10/11/2019 at 5:05 AM, SL19711105buhesulong said:

你修改后,在自定义任务里用AI来驾驶,就可以看到修改效果,我已经改了,如果可以我们可以交流,但是我只会中文,不会英文和俄文,只能依靠GOOGLE的翻译功能。

I understand you succeeded in editing data\luascripts\worldobjects\planes\[planename].txt? I still only get crashes, even if I change a single character. Please let me know if you did anything special in order to be able to edit the file.

Google translate:

我了解您成功编辑了data\luascripts\worldobjects\planes\[planename].txt? 即使更改单个字符,我仍然只会崩溃。 如果您做了一些特殊的操作,以便可以编辑该文件,请告诉我。
您能否将文件发送给我,以便我查看它是否对我有用? 谢谢!

I don't think he is modifying planename.txt in /planes. Those files are protected and any alteration wont work. He is probably changing the plane AI files.

我修改后,玩家可以控制的飞机,比如可以让JU87有37mm炮的同时加装炸弹,现在文件的基本结构我有了了解了。我会在这里发些屏幕截图的。

我可以修改战役任务,把我修改后的飞机加入其中,并在战役中驾驶,我修改的飞机是不死的,还有武器每个都是10000发炮弹,可以让BF109带上20枚炸弹。当然这个方式也用在了坦克驾驶的DLC上

On 2019/10/16 at PM6点31分, AEthelraedUnraed said:

我了解您成功编辑了data \ luascripts \ worldobjects \ planes \ [planename] .txt?即使更改单个字符,我仍然只会崩溃。如果您做了一些特殊的操作,以便可以编辑该文件,请告诉我。

谷歌翻译:

我了解您成功编辑了 data \ luascripts \ worldobjects \ planes \ [planename] .txt? 是否更改了字符,我仍然只会崩溃
您能否将文件发送给我,刹车我查看它是否对我有用? 谢谢!

我会在今天晚上给你看看我的游戏截屏的,因为这个修改确还是可以应用在多人游戏,(在关闭MOD的情况下!!)

Edited by SL19711105buhesulong
不完整

8 hours ago, SL19711105buhesulong said:

我修改后,玩家可以控制的飞机,比如可以让JU87有37mm炮的同时加装炸弹,现在文件的基本结构我有了了解了。我会在这里发些屏幕截图的。

我可以修改战役任务,把我修改后的飞机加入其中,并在战役中驾驶,我修改的飞机是不死的,还有武器每个都是10000发炮弹,可以让BF109带上20枚炸弹。当然这个方式也用在了坦克驾驶的DLC上

我会在今天晚上给你看看我的游戏截屏的,因为这个修改确还是可以应用在多人游戏,(在关闭MOD的情况下!!)

It works even with MODS off, and in multiplayer? I think you might have found a bug, and should contact the developers. If it indeed works as you say, it enables people to cheat, and that's not good. I would love to see your screenshots; these would confirm it's indeed a bug.

For everyone's info, I intend to do a singleplayer mod. Just adding some historically correct loadouts. Although I can imagine that something like an unlimited ammo mod would appeal to some. Only if used with MODS on of course!

Google translate:

即使关闭MODS,也可以在多人游戏中使用? 我认为您可能已经发现了一个错误,应该与开发人员联系。 如果确实如您所说的那样起作用,它将使人们作弊,这不是很好。 我希望看到您的屏幕截图; 这些将确认它确实是一个错误。

对于每个人的信息,我打算做一个单人游戏mod。 只需添加一些历史上正确的加载项即可。 虽然我可以想象像无限弹药mod这样的东西会吸引一些人。 当然,仅与MODS一起使用!

On 10/16/2019 at 4:07 PM, LizLemon said:

Those files are protected and any alteration wont work.

If these files are indeed protected, I think we should respect the devs' decision (even though I personally don't agree with it - with MODS on, why would it matter if someone has 10000 ammo?).

如果这些文件确实受到保护,我认为我们应该尊重开发人员的决定(即使我个人不同意-启用MODS,如果有人拥有10000枚弹药,为什么会很重要?)。