Sign in to follow this  
II/JG17_HerrMurf

Tanks and Icons

I am assisting in design ideas for an icon's ON server. We are looking at ways to get combined arms to be an integral part of the build. If we did icons ON for AI tanks but OFF for live targets would that be desirable? Apparently, we csn assign no icons to live tanks without affecting the rest of the visible ground objects. (There are already hidden ground objects as well.)

The thought is, AI such as tanks, arty, etc would be ON as they would be on any Normal server. So most ground/surface targets would have icons. It seems a little silly, however, for live tanks to know exactly where everything is; particularly live tank opponents. On the other hand, icons ON is the norm for pilots in this build. The third consideration is that it might give live tanks more longevity - as the spotting would be much harder from the air and may also require closer cooperation between air and ground forces.

If you are a tanker sound off. Would this interest you at all or just a wasted effort? Happy to hear from pilots too but this is mostly for the ground guys and ideas how to get them to populate Normal(ish) servers. Lastly, if you are a tankie, could you direct your friends to this thread even if they have no interest in a Normal server. We'd like to get as much input as possible.

I'm just an ideas guy, not the builder, and am only assisting with gameplay theory. My/our input may or may not be implemented either in whole, in part or not at all.

Murf

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

I don't have TC yet, but I enjoy playing with the pz3 and t34 that came with Stalingrad.

I feel like having AI tanks and ground targets iconed will create visual clutter that will make it easier for player controlled tanks to "hide" alongside.  I think with icons it might need to be all or nothing; but somebody with more experience in this will be better able to comment.

Edited by hrafnkolbrandr

27 minutes ago, hrafnkolbrandr said:

I don't have TC yet, but I enjoy playing with the pz3 and t34 that came with Stalingrad.

I feel like having AI tanks and ground targets iconed will create visual clutter that will make it easier for player controlled tanks to "hide" alongside.  I think with icons it might need to be all or nothing; but somebody with more experience in this will be better able to comment.

To clarify; easier to hide if they are ALL on or easier to hide if the player controlled tanks are NOT on? Most ground and waterborne objects will be on for this map.

19 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

To clarify; easier to hide if they are ALL on or easier to hide if the player controlled tanks are NOT on? Most ground and waterborne objects will be on for this map.

Easier when player controlled tanks have no icons, because the opponent players will only see the icons and overlook the player tanks. It is a bit like everyone drives with headlights on, but you don't, then other drivers will see only the cars with headlights on.

• Upvote 1

Would that make it more interesting/challenging or less fun? Would all icons ON be better? It is a Normal server so all icons OFF is not an option.

This is a question for those who play with icons on. I would never use them, especially for tanks, as finding your opponent is one of the challenges, that make the fun.

And when player tanks have icons, you can scrap the Panzer III, because everyone will shoot it before it has a chance to get near enough for its weapon. So why should anyone use it, now that there is the Panzer IV.

Yeah, the few tank battles I've done has been with icons. And it sort of defeats the purpose. 
If we had some sort of spotting mechanic that could turn on icons for spotted tanks, then that would be awesome... but we don't. 

Do you have control of how far away and when icons appear? Because what kills it for me right now is the fact that I can start tracking an Icon 5km away.

Just mixing it so AI are shown but Players aren't will only cause extra confusion and irritation, especially among newer players who will focus on the icons and then get killed by a target they completely missed. 

Personally I'd see more compact battlefields with several tank spawns "vertically" rather than "horizontally"  and no icons. Then you don't need to worry as much about that single flanking tank since you know you'll have tanks in a 180 degree arc in font of you, which in turn lower the need for icons as you will scan the horizon while at the same time having friends covering your flanks.

I agree with Khaela by and large, although I would still say that if the option is ALL ICONS ON or No icons for player tanks as you suggest, that latter option is the more interesting one. It makes it slightly harder for player tanks to be camped in spawn, attacked by planes through forest canopies, and enables them to set up ambushes and flanking maneuvers, things that are now simply impossible on normal servers. I'd definitely say it'd make me more likely to play tanks on a normal server.

Rather than the games' attrocious icons, you could run 'mods on' and use the icons mod ?

There's several options and you could even request a custom tweak - Ptk seems very helpful in that regard.

S!

One question comes to my mind. When a tank is destroyed, does the icon stay or does it disappear? Because if it disappears, you can't distinguish between destroyed tanks and player tanks, if the player tanks have no icons.

Icon distance is currently set by the DEV's. Dead tanks lose their icon but usually smoke or burn before popping out.

Overall, however, the general feel is mixed icons won't work. Thanks for the input. I'll pass it on.

Murf

Other ground combat “games” like FPS only have tags or icons on your teammates. They don’t put them on your opponents for obvious reasons. So why have icons appear on any enemy units at all? 

Edited by SharpeXB