Integrated IL-2 Great Battles TARGET Profile

[BVS]HomeFries

[BVS]HomeFries

As some of you who fly a certain other Russian flight sim may know, I developed an integrated TARGET profile for that simulator that supports almost all aircraft/modules.  The profile works with the HOTAS Cougar or Warthog, integrates the Cougar MFDs, and supports TrackIR, VR, and old-school POV hat.  Everything is managed in a front end Graphical User Interface (GUI) so you don't need to directly interface with TARGET to run the profile normally.

CTS for Windows is now available as a public beta (downloadable below).  It is now separate from the DCS profile.

Best,
HF

CTS_Win_2_60_Installer.zip

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
Release 2.60 Public Beta is now available.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

[BVS]HomeFries

Just so everybody can see what this profile entails, here's a current graphic of the Warthog mappings as well as the first MFD inserts. 

Here you can see that the Fuel Flow switches together determine the axis map and type.  For single engine axes, the Pinky Switch determines whether the left throttle axis maps to Mixture or RPM.

Note that these images are compressed to keep the size down, and the profile includes higher quality images.

2080506287_IL2GBWH.thumb.jpg.de0688b383269145841d025e4b4032f9.jpg

1792248673_IL2GBMFD.thumb.jpg.5fc062381212d186b7e618f8a81cbba0.jpg

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
Updated to 2.41 maps
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beta testing this, and I have to make a request to the IL2 devs. Please make an option to export and import keybindings on the key input screen. 

Will make this much easier for us! 

Also, loving this profile. I'm already a big fan of CTS for DCS, and it is awesome that this is now available for Il-2! 

• 2 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Thanks to the people who helped me test this.  We're very close to being release ready (but not necessarily complete, as there's always additions and improvements).  At this point, the big piece is waiting to see if the 3.201 patch changes anything with current.map and current.actions, then I'll release this to the public.

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
graphics removed as obsolete

I'm interested, but stopped using TARGET, as i got sort of frustrated at times. PS I made a hardware change by replacing the TM slew button on the throttle with a better functioning one from deltasimelectronics; use it for rudder as i don't have pedals ... I use a different functionality for a lot of the buttons which i am used to now.

One stupid Q remains: what are the MFD layouts for?

Edited by jollyjack

[BVS]HomeFries

Hi Jollyjack,

Thanks for your interest in the profile.  When I built it, I assigned separate axes for RPM, Mixture, common throttle, and engines 1 and 2.  These axes are selectable using the fuel flow switches and the pinky switch on the throttle.  I left the friction lever for FOV zoom.  Doing the math, that means that every throttle axis is spoken for, and you will need to use a separate controller for rudders. You could manually substitute the friction lever to rudder from FOV zoom, but you won't be able to use the microstick as you do now.

To answer your question, the profile supports the Cougar MFDs, which also allows me to add functionality without having to shoehorn every single keystroke onto the HOTAS.

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries

336th_Ripper*

HomeFries I updated the Excel for the new v3.201. I just purchased the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and tried to bind it directly in the game but this is not working out for me, especially for the Mixture Increase/ Decrease. I look forward to your release. They should be in proper order and there new key bindings and some removed, and some that changed key combinations.

Cheers!

Edited by BSS_Ripper*

[BVS]HomeFries

The 2.41 release is now available, and includes both IL-2 Great Battles as well as a Tank Crew specific profile.  Links to the installer are available in the original post.

• Jason_Williams pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

2.41 Hotfix 1 is up.  It fixes some incorrect database entries and the Cougar throttle curve for IL-2 Tank Crew.

• 4 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Version 2.42 is released.  It is compatible with IL-2 4.001b with no required changes to keymappings.

Change Log (IL-2 related items):

• Switched RPM and Mixture axis mapping on Pinky Switch (Warthog).
  • Applied Mixture axis curve when Combat Throttle is selected and Pinky Switch is Forward (Warthog).
  • Added option to map Flaps to Boat Switch when APPATH enabled (Warthog).
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

FYI, version 2.42 works just fine with IL-2 4.002.  Version 2.43 adds the dive mode and contact altimeter setting; this is currently in beta testing.

• 3 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Everyone,

When I put together the 2.43 build, apparently I zigged when I should have zagged, and some old files made it into the mix.  Go ahead and run the CTS Updater to get the latest versions of all files.

• 2 months later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Last night I updated the DNS address for CTS. Please run the CTS updater as a normal update. This should pull the new DNS into the config file before the old DNS address expires. You'll know you were successful if the first line reads "DNS Update" in the text once you finish the update.

If you read this post after the old DNS is no longer valid, you can simply re-download the installer and install to the same folder.

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
  • Thanks 1

[BVS]HomeFries

2.44 is released.

Changes to the IL-2 profile:

• Added option to reverse orientation of China Hat as RPM/Pitch control (Warthog).
  • Added selectable option to use TARGET-based progressive trim instead of in-game trim (useful for Flying Circus).

• 4 months later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Hi Everybody,

I know I've been radio silent for a while now.  Part of this is my work schedule due to COVID (which has since lightened up), and part of it is because my combined script actually hit the TARGET stack limits, meaning that anything I add to the script now requires that I remove something else.

The logical step here is to separate IL-2 and other games from the script to make an independent script, leaving the "other Russian sim" with its own script.  This is what I'm working on right now, and I don't plan on making major functional changes to the script until I have successfully separated the proverbial Siamese Twins.

Once I have successfully separated the IL2 script from the CTS nucleus, I will create a specialized nucleus for the new script baseline.  At this time I intend to fully support SRS for IL-2.  I am a huge fan of its other iteration, and want to do everything I can to encourage its use in this ecosystem as well.  Additionally, if the sim architecture supports it I plan to convert even more commands to DirectX using the DX+ header that allows up to 120 DX commands (up from 32).  This is planned for release 3.0, which should be out in the next few months following the initial profile separation.  However, I intend to release a 2.xx version following initial separation, which should be fully compatible with the existing version.

In the meantime, I realize that there have been two IL-2 patches which I have been unable to support.  If there is anything added or removed in the patches that needs to be addressed, please post the reports here or on my Trello bugtracker.

Best,

HF

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Hi Everybody,

Just to give you a status report: CTS For Windows (i.e. the separation of IL-2 and other games from the DCS World script) has just gone into alpha testing.  Once we make sure that the separation of the Siamese Twins has not broken anything that worked before, I'll put the new link up for download.  This should be done by Christmas, and hopefully much sooner (again, depending on bugs).

Just to clarify, I'm not planning on improving the profile right now.  I just want to get it independent and stable, then I can start working on improvements.  The DirectX overhaul will probably occur next spring at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Hi everybody,

I've been having some internet trouble of late that has delayed the CTS for Windows release.  This has also prevented access to the server that hosts CTS.  

I have created a workaround for this issue.  Just download all zip files from box.com, extract them with folder structure intact into your CTS folder (the folder with CTSupdate.exe), then back up the zip files for good measure.  If you're prompted to overwrite existing files, you're likely doing it right!

Apologies for any inconvenience, and I will provide an update once this issue is resolved.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Everyone,

Here's a status report on CTS for Windows (i.e. IL-2 separated from the DCS script):

First and foremost, I just had to replace the router on the server.  This also means I had to update the dynamic DNS.  Other than a fresh install, updating CTS should only be necessary if you use it for DCS, as I have frozen IL-2 development on this branch in favor of CTS for Windows.

To update to the new DNS,

1. Go into the CTS\DB folder and open up the version.txt file in Notepad
  2. Globally replace the string mynetgear.com with tplinkdns.com

Alternatively, you can download the version.txt in this post, copy it to your CTS\DB folder, then just re-download everything.

This should fix any issues until I can release CTS for Windows.  FWIW, I have successfully separated the IL-2 profile from the DCS script and updated some of the code for IL-2 4.5, including joystick axes for TC.  I'm still in the integration testing phase of CTS for Windows (which will include some other games including IL-2).  I'm hoping for a release in the next couple of months, as my network issues pushed alpha testing into January (where real life gets very busy for me).  Due to the schedule delays, I will be making the 2.60 release of CTS for Windows a public beta.

version.txt

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries

• 2 weeks later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Version 2.55 is released, though no updates to the IL-2 profile (since this is being developed on CTS for Windows).  That, and the installer (available in the OP) has been updated to call on the new DNS address.

• 1 month later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Just a quick update:

My work schedule IRL has been absolutely insane, and I don't anticipate a public beta release before May.  I'm so close to a beta, but I need that continuous block of time to make sure there are no showstopper bugs, and I just haven't had that time so far this year.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Ala12vCharlie

Hi HomeFries, i have a problem with il2 profile. i have Cougar with 2 MFDs and usb rudder pedals. I am Using CTS bindings files for IL2.

The RPM/Mixture selection function always select RPM (with a sound telling "RPM") never mixture, both in T6 and in LOSB10. The RANGE knob and ANT knob have the same axis "joy0_axis_W" preventing it from working the "POV zoom", which has "joy0_axis_q" set. Some MFDs functions are not working, like the water radiator control in RMFD GAIN switch.

This is a picture when a i try to change RPM/Mixture function

6aad0d3e5f802793a6bcccb95813b4b8.png

This is my devices.txt

da8dc211b566c3f09bf659c254292672.png

[PLJ]shan_aya

hi,

i use this profile for il2 under steam

virtual device is ok aafter creating and running target script

under il2 i can choose joystick or throttle as device ( axis is recognized) but when i want to edit curve no way to move .... as in game

only rudder works perfectly 😞

i stop windows store / device.txt contain a 0,, ligne that i've delete and protect file against write/ joy detect is right ( virtual device +rudder )

it works only one time...and noway after 

i do another fresh cts install from scratch ( clear input folder from modification and do again ) but nothing...

help :)

*** Allocated ProcInstances found from the previous run: use FreeProcInstance() ***
Mapped plugin module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\Plugins\sys.dll"
Physical USB HID devices managed by script!
Currently plugged USB HID devices[3]:
1: "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0404&REV_0100"
2: "T-Pendular-Rudder" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_B68F&REV_0110"
3: "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" - "USB\VID_044F&PID_0402&REV_0100"
USB HID device "Throttle - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0404\6&1DC50FA5&1&3) selected
USB HID device "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog"(USB\VID_044F&PID_0402\6&1DC50FA5&1&2) selected
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b351" cannot be found
USB HID device with hardware id "VID_044F&PID_b352" cannot be found
Virtual HID devices managed by script!
Connecting virtual joystick...Done
Device name set to Thrustmaster Combined
Connecting virtual keyboard...Done
Connecting virtual mouse (absolute axes)...Done
DCS_Global() Start.
DCS_Global() Finish.

DCS_Init (Profile v2.56):

Done
 Execute IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles Config (Profile v2.56):
   Map Cougar Left MFD...Done!
   Map Cougar Right MFD...Done!
   Map HOTAS Cougar/Warthog for IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles Config:
   Map Axes:
      Axis mapping Warthog Stick...Done!
      Axis Mapping Warthog Throttle (Multi-Engine)...         Setting Digital Throttle...None.
Axis Mapping Warthog Throttle AuxiliaryDone.
      Unmapping Microstick...Done.
...FC for FOV...Done.
      Digital Aux Axis Mapping:
         None
...Done!
         Shift Commands: S3 momentary...Done!
         Warthog Stick Buttons......Done!
      Init Padlock Enabled.
         Hat1 (POV or Trim)...Done!
         TQS Buttons
         Warthog Throttle Buttons
China Hat...RPM...Set.
Base Switches...WH Throttle Curve (IL-2 GB)...Smooth...Combined Engine...RPM...Done.
...Done!
   HOTAS Cougar Mapping Complete.

IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles Init Complete!

main returned 0

• 1 month later...
[BVS]HomeFries

Hi everybody,

I apologize for being radio silent for as long as I was.  Real life extended my schedule until now, and I'm close to a public beta.  I just need to get my momentum back, since I haven't done much since November and I need to re-tool my neural pathways.

My plan is to release the 2.60 release as a public beta.  This hasn't been updated since IL-2 4.502, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I will post links to the trello bugtracker when the time is right, and I encourage suggestions and bug reports.

I will attempt to address the questions above as soon as I can.  Please be patient.

Best,

HF

352nd_Hoss

HF, I have one request, could you make an MFD template with German Aircraft info on them instead of the LW info?  i.e. German planes wingspan, and gun-sight settings...

Cheers

Hoss

[BVS]HomeFries
On 7/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, 352nd_Hoss said:

HF, I have one request, could you make an MFD template with German Aircraft info on them instead of the LW info?  i.e. German planes wingspan, and gun-sight settings...

Cheers

Hoss

If I can find one I'll see about putting it in.  In the meantime, the one on the LMFD is less detailed, but is what was provided to US aircrews at the time.

352nd_Hoss

Okay, thanks HomeFries.

[BVS]HomeFries
Posted (edited)

The CTS for Windows public beta is now available!

The current beta build is primarily to test the separation of the IL-2 and Elite profiles from the main DCS profile.  This has gone through internal alpha testing, but there are still going to be bugs from legacy code or oversights.  Please report them on our Trello bugtracker ASAP.

Similarly, I realize that the IL-2 profile itself has not been improved for close to a year.  Any required or recommended updates due to the patches since 4.000c should also be reported on Trello.

Finally, I realize that there are still plenty of references to DCS World in the documentation.  This is a case where perfect is the enemy of good, and I want to get the beta out for public consumption.  I will update the documentation at a later time.

The installer is available in the original post.

Enjoy!

Edited by [BVS]HomeFries
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Dear Homefries, I feel very stupid, but I don't know how to write in Trello boards. I've been trying for a few days, but no luck. Please, allow me to write a few words here, after testing the latest CTS for Windows beta version.

First, I want to tell you a big thanks for this "Windows" version of CTS. I have been using CTS for DCS for years, and always  I wished to have the same configuration possibilities on IL-2 or other sims. I know it was before integrated on CTS DCS, but it was too "cluttered", mixed with all DCS modules, but now, separated from the main branch, I think is the best choice possible.  CTS for Windows, on its current state, works great for me on the 3 sims included, but I only have some important problems on IL-2 that keep me grounded if I use CTS4W.  Let's mention the most obvious:

1. The CTS controls version of IL-2 GB is too old. Now the sim version is 4.603b and CTS is still hooked on 4.006. There have been a few changes, being the most important the new instant zoom views. Now there are 4 different zooms. Those are important keys for VR users and non VR users, as it works on 2D too.

2. If you don't use MFDs, it seems that there is an absolute lack of engine controls, like oil radiator, water radiator, ventilation controls, etc.. Without these controls, simply you cant fly.

If having MFDs is a must, please, specify somewhere in the manual, as I´ve been days trying to find the keys on the HOTAS. But those keys should be on the throttle controls.

should be easy to implement.

3. AFAIK, the bomb sight controls are missing. There are duplicated gunsight controls in both throttle and joystick, but no bomb sight controls anywhere.

4. I can't change between gunners positions and views. Only bomb sight view works. I tried all possible combinations, but I still need to use the keyboard. C, Ctrl C, T, etc..

Of course, I carefully followed all instructions on the configuration of the keys, replacing every key mentioned in the guide. I tried again and again, and I failed in the above-mentioned points. Am I missing something? 🕵️‍♂️

Thanks again, and sorry for not using Trello.