Jetski

Please can we add "yawstrings" as a mod to planes?

Yawstrings are a small length of thread (usually wool) taped to the front of the cockpit. When you are flying with no yaw, they are streaming straigh back, but if you are un-coordinated then they slip to one side. They are used extensivley by glider pilots where reducing yaw (and hence drag) is crittical.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_string

I have even heard (but cannot verify) that they were used on Tornados to improve accuracy of free-fall bombing. But I found this photo of an F14 by Rich Kaszeta

4415851580_3a7b499df7_z.jpg.a2be8a3bfd6ff9845c0b3438161deffa.jpg

In my early flight sim days I had no clue about coordinated flying and wondered why I could never keep up with AI planes in my formation. Once I learnt about coordination it was much easier. Yes some planes have a turn & slip indicator but this is below your eyeline most of the time. I have no idea if they were used in WW2, but for new pilots using the sim, they would be a really useful training aid.

I would sugest that you could add them on the front of the cockpit above the gunsight, just below any structural metalwork, but if the fuselage in front of the cockpit is visible they could be added there.

I tink they would be useful in situations like those discussed in this topic..

• Upvote 1

Never seen one on a WW2 aircraft. Don't think they'd be much use in the propeller slipstream anyway. Too much turbulence.

• Upvote 1

Just use the slideslip indicator. 🙂

slideslip indicator is on the instrument panel, things to shoot at are above instrument panel

On 9/22/2019 at 7:46 PM, Reggie_Mental said:

Actually, that one is a piece of para cord. Wool would disintegrate pretty quickly on an F14

I should have mentioned that the ones on Tornados were said to be carbon fibre. Agreed, wool would not be suitable for jets.