Joystick Turret Control

BAT502

Can the turret be controlled by a joystick and if so how do you configure. I have joystick selected in the settings menu but I can only operate turret with a mouse. Many thanks.

Yes, it can be done with a program called JoyToKey. The joystick controls the movement of the turrets. 

See images below.

My current work in progress tank .cfg file Is included in the .zip folder. The other image shows where the .cfg file should go.

I hope this information helps you. Happy tanking. :salute:

For it to work, JoyToKey has to run in the background before you start the game. From my experience, it has no adverse effect on system performance.

JoyToKey.jpg

jtkcfg.PNG

Tank.zip

Edited by Thad
Edited to add the running in the background Info
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Make your own .cfg file and save it. Try replacing the .cfg file you just created with mine. It may require my configuration settings file too.

It will go to your document section as shown in the second image above.

Ensure to correctly assign associate profiles with application under JoyToKey 'settings'.

You really need to know how to do all of this yourself and not rely on my settings.

Although, I have attached all of my current config files in the zip below.

JoyToKey.zip

Edited by Thad

Just extract the profile "tank.cfg" from .RAR for inside JoyToKey folder that this profile became available.

Or for create your own profile, open JoyToKey and look what arrow in "Joystick1" highlight when you move your joystick, e.g. Y axis for left.

Double click above this arrow and in the new window select "mouse", and adjust the horizontal slider for left with the desired speed, in Tad profile is 20.

Repeat for right, up and down, using 30 for the two last.

J2k-t.jpg

Then joystick movement emulates mouse movement.

Important - Start JoyToKey "As administrator", or Windows UAC may prevent game see external commands.

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Hide contents

J2k-t.jpg

I can’t seem to make this feature to work. Any change in value defaults the direction of the mouse to slew to the right. The turret only rotates to the right no matter which direction I move the stick.

Any idea, Sokol1? Thanks

Seems that you have assigned only one direction of joystick. Post a picture of your JoyTokey profile main window.

After set in JoyTokey can test in desktop, joystick movement should move mouse cursor.

2 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

Seems that you have assigned only one direction of joystick. Post a picture of your JoyTokey profile main window.

Mine is just like Thad’s screen shot of Joytokey. Except all directions are set at (30) instead of (20). It works well like that. The only issue is when I slew the gunsight zoomed in.

I’m trying to speed up the mouse movement a bit because the gunsight moves very sluggishly when zoomed in. I’m playing around with the feature you posted to see if increasing the values could make a difference. Instead, all setting automatically become right arrow movement only.  

Edit the "Stick1 <-  : assignment. 

Assign Mouse Left to it.

Edit the Stick1: -> : assignment

Assign Mouse Right to it.

Do the same for the Up and down arrows. 

MouseLeft.PNG

MouseRight.PNG

Edited by Thad

• 4 weeks later...

SteelControlMain.png

The device can emulate a keyboard+mouse, perhaps overcome the limitations of TC controls, not primarily done to be controlled with joysticks.

FAQ

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't see this post. I just posted that I would like to see an axis "move turret left/right" and "move Turret Up/Down" axis in the tank crew area in controls. Wouldn't be too much complicated for them.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thad, have you looked at the changes regarding controlling TC tanks yet for game 4.009?  There's a Joy2Key v 6.4 out ..

PS them ladies look quite ready for some Joy2Key controlling ...

Edited by jollyjack

• 1 month later...

I have a Saitek X52 which I use for both flying and "tanking".

I use the software profiler for my bindings (most of my tank controls are set to mode 3 of the stick).

If I wanted to use the joy stick to move the turret, would using JoyToKey clash with these bindings or would I replace the profiler software with JoyToKey completely?

P.S I find the Panzer Iv M to have a much twicher barrel than the G when using the mouse. I find it difficult to be precise?

Salute

DD_Friar

Edit: Panzer III not IV sorry

Edited by DD_Friar

I can confirm that turret control does now work without any other software interface.

You need to go to Input Devices and under the Turret Control section change the option from Mouse to Joystick.

When you have done that go to your key mappings and set the Turret Control Horizontal (direct) and Vertical (direct) to your joystick.

With my X52 pro I have enabled the twist rudder function and have that controlling left and right and the forwards backwards controlling up and down.

It works really well and is very precise.

Salute

DD_Friar

• Like 1

Theres a trick to getting it to work at least on my end(joystick turret control)in keybinds it has to replace the default axis  to work(default column), I tried to get it to work in the non default column and it was a no go ,funny thing is my rudder pedals and warthog throttle worked fine in the second and 3rd columns in the keybinder for driving the tank, but Turret control absolutely refused to work on joystick anywhere but the default column. Im new to IL2 GB and TC ,so correct me if your aware of a better way ,But joystick turret control is vastly superior to the mouse option and Im glad I went through the frustration of getting it to work.Just being able to use the throttle and rudder pedals to control the tank is a god send IMHO also the joystick for aiming the gun is another. I want to thank the devs for this it makes TC so much better.

Edited by skpcarey1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:01 AM, DD_Friar said:

I can confirm that turret control does now work without any other software interface.

You need to go to Input Devices and under the Turret Control section change the option from Mouse to Joystick.

When you have done that go to your key mappings and set the Turret Control Horizontal (direct) and Vertical (direct) to your joystick.

DD_Friar

As Friar says first go to the input devices screen before keymapping

12 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

As Friar says first go to the input devices screen before keymapping

This was done  prior to going into the keymapper and attempting to designate the turret controls to my joystick(a Virpil),its strange my rudder pedals and warthog throttle it was not an issue at all, either way its(Joystick turret control) working just fine now.