Sign in to follow this  
Sybreed

Changing the callouts in SP

It would be nice if our allies and our own pilots in the game would say "Engaging fighter 9 o clock Low" instead of just saying "engaging fighter to the east". First, this way I know if the enemy is above or below, then, I also know more precisely where it is! Plus, I thought that's what fighters used as a system for callouts....

• Like 2

call outs, commands, all of it needs reworked. Having 3 hotkey commands, attack air, attack ground, rejoin... Leaves a bit to be desired. There's like 2 attack air commands that just end up doing the same thing.. We need the old radio menu back.

Posted (edited)

I don’t think it is likely to happen soon.  But I wonder if the radio commands and call outs would be reworked to a point where they are comparable to the old Il-2 in say, the next two years?  

Edited by Feathered_IV

3 hours ago, Sybreed said:

It would be nice if our allies and our own pilots in the game would say "Engaging fighter 9 o clock Low" instead of just saying "engaging fighter to the east". First, this way I know if the enemy is above or below, then, I also know more precisely where it is! Plus, I thought that's what fighters used as a system for callouts....

First, there is already high and low in the callouts, they are just not always handled correctly by the game.

Second, nine o'clock is nice, but only helps before you start engaging, because as soon as you are in the dogfight, you don't know, where the nine o'clock of your sqadmate is, as you don't know his current heading. South is always in the same direction, short look to the compass and you know where to go, as long as you have an idea, where your squadmate currently is. 

• Upvote 1

Radio calls are not always be referenced to where the player is. You do have to know who is calling and where they are. It could be another flight making the call. 

Also if you were paying attention to the career assistance forum, you would see that new radio calls have been recorded for the British and American careers.

It appears that ground control will be vectoring you to some intercepts. When the recordings are chopped up and recombined, you will still have

Aircraft spotted... clock direction, range

Engaging... compass heading, range.

There are also voice clips for low and high, hard to say how those will be incorporated at this point though.

14 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

It could be another flight making the call

I think that is part of the problem. Isn't it a little bit unrealistic that some random flight is also on your radio frequency? I mean, I would think it is realistic if your own flight is on your frequency and maybe if you are flying top cover for bombers or ground attackers then also the bombers but surely nobody else. 

59 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I think that is part of the problem. Isn't it a little bit unrealistic that some random flight is also on your radio frequency? I mean, I would think it is realistic if your own flight is on your frequency and maybe if you are flying top cover for bombers or ground attackers then also the bombers but surely nobody else. 

Good question. I have no idea how the different services handled frequencies during different stages of the war. Galland listened admiringly on his radio during the invasion of France to a flightleader explaining his attack against a hurricane to his inexperienced aviators for them to learn something just to understand just in time his 109 was the hurricane to be shot down and called to abort the attack.

They seem to have been from different units but were on the same frequency. Could be a coincidence - but I don't know. 

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

For the Allies at least, fighters had something like 3 or 4 preset "pips" to choose from. One would be for the GCI (or area control/plotting/get home safe) and the other presets for the Wing and/or  Squadron. In one of the RAF biographies the author mentioned one was set for emergencies. In effect you might have a dozen or two dozen airplanes clogging up the airwaves. From reading Attack of the Airacobras, the soviets' radios were terrible (the book says the VVS loved western airplanes because of their reliable radios).

In game for me, the radio calls are merely "atmosphere."

Thirty years (has it really been that long?) ago (probably the same today), we would limit our transmissions because the broadcasts would be intercepted by our foes. At initial contact (visual or otherwise), we would call out clock codes (e.g., "bogeys right three o'clock five miles"). 

From what I've read of WWII biographies, radio discipline was encouraged because too much chatter would add to the din of battle and quickly overload pilots' ability to process.

The repetition of call outs in the game is, for me, a bit disruptive. I'd prefer fewer, more qualitative broadcasts. I believe that would be more immersive but suspect that'd be difficult to implement.

2 hours ago, YouBet said:

The repetition of call outs in the game is, for me, a bit disruptive. I'd prefer fewer, more qualitative broadcasts. I believe that would be more immersive but suspect that'd be difficult to implement.

This, especially no callouts of my pilot, who tells me which aircraft I am currently attacking, in his opinion. I decide myself, which aircraft I will attack. I had this two or three times over fifteen minutes.

• Like 1

In some of the histories I've read, the Luftwaffe fighter pilots were notorious for lots of energetic radio calls during combat encounters, to the point of confusion and not being able to determine who was calling out what.

The allied pilots generally kept good radio discipline all the way up to encountering enemy fire and then tended to forget to identify themselves so others knew who was in trouble.

As busdriver mentioned, I believe Allied missions generally had separate frequencies for bombers, fighters, ground control and emergency vector home. Yes it could get very hectic if you had 2 or 3 squadrons on the same frequency, but that's why they called it "radio discipline". It wasn't always very disciplined by some accounts.   

In game, since installing an English version of radio traffic I find them useful to a point, but would prefer to know who the ground controller is talking to when they say "objective complete, return to base" or which flight is calling out they are "attacking fighters to the south". We get none of that now. I'm hoping the new voices will help that as there are some new lines which identify who is speaking to which flight. That would actually make flight call signs useful to know.  

2 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

That would actually make flight call signs useful to know.  

One of the good things of PWCG, where each squadron has its own call sign.

Voice commands and radio chatter is woeful in the game. You get no voice reaction of spotted enemies from your mates. These things are important parts of a simulation and done well they add a lot to the experience. It’s been ignored for a long time. Hope it’s addressed soon.