Muskoka

"New" Logitech X56 not working, is recognized

Posted (edited)

Just hooked up an hour ago, not working in game, although it's recognized. Stick / throttle works just fine in XP 11, Dcs, Elite Dangerous, those are the only other titles I've tested so far. 

It's mapping correctly in settings. My pedals are Joy0, Throttle is Joy1, and Stick is Joy2, listed in that order in Win 10 joy panel.

What do I need to do to get this setup to work. It feels great in those other sims, anxious to see what it's like here.

Edit: Sorted out, stopped the Logitech software from starting when Windows starts, all seems fine now.

Wow, what a difference from the Thrustmaster Hotas 4, simply no comparison. Thanks to the Warehouse deal at Amazon, this was listed as "Used - Very Good" , regular price $329 Cdn, selling for $199. I can't see where this was used at all, very smooth, nothing loose, not a scratch or mark, and everything works. Throttle is a "wee bit" stiff , but I read it should loosen up some in time. Guess I'll see what it's like in a few months, but as of this moment it's a steal at $199.

Edited by Muskoka

2 hours ago, Muskoka said:

Throttle is a "wee bit" stiff , but I read it should loosen up some in time.

You can actually loosen the throttle with the knob on the side of your throttle device. So you don't have to wait...

Posted (edited)

The issue with throttle movement is the viscosity of grease used, why take some time until things get in place.

Some guys open and clean some of this grease.

Edited by Sokol1

Posted (edited)

Ya, I might remove some grease. Already adjusted the knob for the throttle, still stiff. That was the first thing I did, well, after changing the spring. 

If I'm not "careful" when moving the throttle through its range, the base will move, not much, but it moves, that's how stiff the throttle is at the moment. 

Just took the bottom off the throttle case, used a razor knfe to scrape some of the grease off the sides of those half round guides, whatever they're called, and it's much better. Just took a skim off. Still some resistance, but the base doesn't even try to move now, easy fix. 

Edited by Muskoka

I have had the Logitech X56 (July 2019 batch) for several weeks now,  out was an upgrade from the Logitch X52.

For the first week or so I was really worried about the free of three throttle but after reading a lot about it and the thick grease I decided to seeing it back and forwards anytime I was in front of my PC. After 2 week it loosened up a lot and now it is smooth  just like I would have liked it to have been.  Don't bother removing the grease. 

This time I was set to master the G Software that comes with the stick so i can map any control and any mode.  The software is a challenge at first,  but produces excellent results with practice. 

Almost forgot to add that the X56 is designed to be screwed down to prevent movement of the bar plate on the desk. 

You can greet around this by putting some nonslip matting down underneath it. This can be purchased from Ikea or online.

Posted (edited)

Well the "love" was short lived. There ended up being probably close to 1/4 to 3/8" play in the stick, enough that it really bugged me. Since it came from Amazon its a simple return, going back tomorrow. It has way more functionality than my Thrustmaster Hotas 4, but the Thrustmaster has basically no play in the stick all all. Too bad, I liked it, but that's too much slop in the stick to accept. 

Edited by Muskoka

I've never liked the Saitek / Logitech sticks for this reason. I tossed mine in the bin and have been using the X52 throttle paired with a MS PP2 FFB stick for years now.

It's beyond time for an upgrade but it's never given me any trouble so I stick with it. see what I did there?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Muskoka said:

Since it came from Amazon its a simple return, going back tomorrow. 

For ~$180 you can buy VKB Gladiator Mk.II and Thrustmaster TWCS throtle and have a better quality  "HOTAS" than Logitech (ex-Saitek) options.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

For ~$180 you can buy VKB Gladiator Mk.II and Thrustmaster TWCS throtle and have a better quality  "HOTAS" than Logitech (ex-Saitek) options.

Sounds great in theory, unfortunately the cost is way higher than that in Canada, unless you were quoting $180 for just the Vkb?

I can get the Vkb Gladiator Mk2 out of Quebec, not far from me, and it will cost $195.23 (shipping and tax in) Canadian ($200 total if I buy from the US), then add another $124.25 (tax in) to get the Thrustmaster throttle, so that combo is a total of $319.48. Basically the same price as the X56, except I only paid $225 (tax and shipping in) for the X56. 

Is the quality of the other stuff better, most likely, your also paying close to $100 more to get hopefully better quality. The nice thing about the X56 is it has "everything", and anything else close to this price range is sacrificing something, lack of buttons, rotary's, mini sticks, twist yaw, etc. 

I'd gladly pay $100 more for something that has "everything", but it doesn't seem to exist. Warthog would be nice, but the cheapest I found for it was just over $500 (includes throttle) new to Canada, and no twist. Half my gaming time is in Elite Dangerous where twist is a must, for me.

I'll just have to stick with the Hotas 4 for now, and see what the future offers.

Edited by Muskoka

15 hours ago, Niner said:

I've never liked the Saitek / Logitech sticks for this reason. I tossed mine in the bin and have been using the X52 throttle paired with a MS PP2 FFB stick for years now.

It's beyond time for an upgrade but it's never given me any trouble so I stick with it. see what I did there?

May want to throttle back with the puns there!

Dont blame the hardware blame the previous owner.

if looked after and not abused, X55 / X56 / X52 / ST290 pro could all last 20+ years 10,000 Flying hours without notable wear from center.

2 hours ago, Muskoka said:

quoting $180 for just the Vkb?

No, $90 in X-Plane.org store. Of course shipping and local taxes is another story, here is 101.50%. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

No, $90 in X-Plane.org store. Of course shipping and local taxes is another story, here is 101.50%. 

Ya, $90 at the Org Store, + $50 shipping to me, and that's US dollar, converted to Canadian is $185.00, then add the 13% tax I have to pay and we're now at $209 Canadian, that's my cost for that stick from the US. It's $195 if I buy it from a Canadian retailer. Then we need to add the $125  for the TM throttle. 

4 hours ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

Dont blame the hardware blame the previous owner.

if looked after and not abused, X55 / X56 / X52 / ST290 pro could all last 20+ years 10,000 Flying hours without notable wear from center.

Could have been, but a quick search on the net and you'll find lots of guys complaining about the same issue, coincidence, I doubt it. It's a quality issue, not user abuse. 

Am I going to spend close to $400 and buy new, and possibly have the same issue a few months down the road, don't think so. 

Edited by Muskoka

Yes, I can get the Stick and Throttle combo for $190 Canadian after tax, don't need the combo with the pedals, I already have a set. I might look at these next. I read that review yesterday, well done. 

Edited by Muskoka

Just picked up a used "new looking" T.1600M with throttle for $90 Cdn off Kijiji (buy/sell site) 5 minutes from where I live, looks great, and works great so far. Zero slop in the stick, a little "sticky" in the throttle, adjusted the screw on the bottom, and seems much better. Might open it up and see what the grease is like.

Happy with the purchase so far. No where near the functionality of the X56, but the stick feels nice in my hand, and there's no slop in the stick. Also feels very accurate/smooth with pitch and roll. 

Edited by Muskoka

Good deal.

The "stiction" in throttle rails is common, the best replacement grease is Nyogel 767A - $15 a small tube.

You have rudder pedals?