Sign in to follow this  
pencon

Engine sounds and startup

Hello Il2 Developers  , fantastic  sim I would like to say first of all . I do have a question . Wondering if you will improve on the engine sounds one day ? Also , how difficult  would it be to  create some  random rough coughing backfiring startups  for the planes when we fire them up ? That would really add a lot of character and realism . One can dream ..

I mean allso the most realisme is you hear the motor have free run when you go down , and motor have to 'work hard ' Up the sky's 

Like a car up and  down the hills

Would be better to go the DCS route and allow clientside mods in servers (That wish to allow it) and let the community make better ones. the "REAL" sounds modded into DCS (that ive even made) by just ripping sound files from youtube are milestones better. Heck, Ive even added the Bomb whistle/howl that you'd see in old movies lol

• Haha 2

I would like to see more realistic motorsounds like I have in IL 1946. The engine cuffs a bit when there are negative Gs but for things like  the engine starts to run raw if it is damaged. Not the thing you want to hear but better hear it and take action (go back/crashland or jump) as  going down wondering why the hell the engine stopped 😁

But I just love motor sounds. (the FW-190 D in IL-2 sounds great)

14 hours ago, Tenko said:

Would be better to go the DCS route and allow clientside mods in servers (That wish to allow it) and let the community make better ones. the "REAL" sounds modded into DCS (that ive even made) by just ripping sound files from youtube are milestones better. Heck, Ive even added the Bomb whistle/howl that you'd see in old movies lol

You can already do that. Not only that, but you dont need Mods-On for them to work. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, pa4tim said:

I would like to see more realistic motorsounds like I have in IL 1946. The engine cuffs a bit when there are negative Gs but for things like  the engine starts to run raw if it is damaged. Not the thing you want to hear but better hear it and take action (go back/crashland or jump) as  going down wondering why the hell the engine stopped 😁

But I just love motor sounds. (the FW-190 D in IL-2 sounds great)

What are talking about. The original series had the same sound file for most of the engines and was terrible it was the first thing the modders changed.

BoS sound are terrific, it would only be the earlier aircraft that might need an update. You won't get the neg g cut out as most of the BoX plane set had fuel injection.

Edited by Tyberan

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I have no clue about how it was, I installed 1946 a few weeks ago. I never played it stock. I have the version that has something like 80GB of modpacks/modules (or however they are called) And I do like those sounds. Sorry, just my taste.

I noticed the sound differences because I am at the moment experimenting with manual controls in the Spitfire IXE  in 1946 and BOX. In BOP I can lean the mixture but the engine sound nor the RPM or speed seems to change. I tried to find the sweet spots  for optimal lean, peak power and optimal rich. But all I found is that at something like 16-20% the motor starts to hick-up a bit,  above that upto 100% there seems to be not a lot of difference.  

I have not tried other planes yet because it is easier for me to first learn to fly one plane good,  so I do not have to think what the keys to push, read instruments etc if I switch later to an other plane. Maybe other planes react more realistic. (that is, I never flew a real plane so I could be wrong on the realistic part)  I know in more modern planes they use the exhaust temp and RPM to fine tune.   I think in most warbirds they just set it at max rich at take off and while in combat and somewhere in the middle for cruising if they had to fly higher distances.

Edited by pa4tim