Sign in to follow this  
Startrek66

New user, Graphics settings

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, I recently installed il2 bos but know better clod.  I set the graphic parameters as shown in the image without experimenting too much.  My PC has the following specifications:

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge
CPU Speed: 3100MHz
Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Module
Memory: 0 x 4GB DDR3 Module
Video Card Set 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
Monitor hp22es

I set the Nvidia control panel to global settings.  I have my preference which is to limit the fps to 30 and I do it through the control panel of the Asus graphics card.

My question is whether I did a good graphic setup or can I do better?

IMG_20190712_004503.jpg

Edited by Startrek66

I think you should test upping different settings one step at a time and at least set FPS to 60 at first just to see what happens. you can always go back a step if you´re not pleased. It´s hard to give advice as different setting gives different results on different `puters. also there are a few posts how to set up the nvidia cards elsewhere on the forum. do a search for nvidia settings.

21 hours ago, FlyingH said:

I think you should test upping different settings one step at a time and at least set FPS to 60 at first just to see what happens. you can always go back a step if you´re not pleased. It´s hard to give advice as different setting gives different results on different `puters. also there are a few posts how to set up the nvidia cards elsewhere on the forum. do a search for nvidia settings.

I haven't tried to set a 60 fps target yet.  I have certainly noticed that occasionally a microstutter is noticed.  I have read that this is a bug in the simulator.  That's it?

23 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

30 fps limit is a really bad idea,because at every instant you want to know where the enemy plane is (when you are aiming)

Sorry but I didn't understand your answer.  I do not agree that 30 fps is a limitation.  In games on console 30 fps is the target and you play very well.  Keep in mind that the goal is to have fluidity not high fps.  You can play fluid at 30 fps as at 60 fps, and the enemy sees it anyway.

Edited by Startrek66

It is better to have an flat straight  30FPS then an strong fluctuating 60FPS, but you could always try something like 45FPS. Your monitor can handle 1920x1080, personally I would set this game also to this resolution and prefer the lowering some of the ingame adjustments if needed. But thats all your taste. 

I do not know if you using mods but avoid running mods without using JSGME, some mods are resource eaters, so now it is easily to swap them out and verify if what mod is stealing performance. 

But if looking at your specs your CPU is the limited factor inhere, that means if you want to have gain more performance, avoid AI rendering like to much planes or moving ground objects. 

Some hint from de VR department is to remove the grass rendering, as this is not needed when in the air 

Open startup.cfg, found in "%\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data"  with note- or wordpad and change into:  grass_distance = 0.00000

I think the clouds rendering, are also CPU performance eaters, do not know for sure, but this can be easily tested using a mission at clear air and one that is extremely cloudy. 

The rest is all testing by yourself using good logging tools like MSI afterburner (can also be used for ASUS) https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner . Do not make the same mistake as I did in hooping to get the best settings in VR by using all the advices on this forum. Every PC do have its own optimum, my optimal Nvidia settings could be an disaster for yours, even if my CPU/GPU/OS was the same as yours. Thats why the logging aspect is the personal prove.

Edited by Dutch2