Thad

Tiger At The Gate 3.101b UPDATE

Posted (edited)

Non-Historical Single Player Set Piece Mission

What's in blue, is new.

BTL SS Tiger At The Gate is meant to be a tougher mission to win than the original which I ultimately found too easy in that regard. The AI did far to much to capture the town.

In this SS version, I made many small changes to the base mission but primarily I adjusted the winning parameters for my Capture The Flag Group. It now has Russian Reserves move in to defend their Headquarters Flag Area.  As the player, you will have to carry more of the destructive load and eliminate the enemy reserves. If not  you probably cannot win.

After your forces report creating a bridgehead into Zarubovka things get serious, timewise. Having survived to this point, get into the town and take out as many enemy tanks as you can that are near their HQ area. You won't be totally alone in this attempt but it will be up to you, as the ace battalion tank commander, to save the day.

I've run through it over a dozen times but I request all of you to report how things go. Too Easy, Too hard or somewhere in between.

Please reply with constructive suggestions or observations. Thanks

NOTE: It can be problematic to have one of your tanks knocked out while on the bridge. This happens occasionally but I have tried to limit that possibility. As the player, you can try to go around or actually push it off of the bridge. Ultimately the game will delete the dead tank but this will slow your advance considerably and time is in short supply.

See photo recon image of the HQ Area below.

PLAYER: German Battle Group (BG) Bravo Commander In A Tiger

MAP: Lapino

MISSION: Capture the town of Zarubovka .

Time: 09:15
Date: 25th September 1942
WEATHER: Clear

MAIN OBJECTIVE: Destroy Russian forces and Capture the Towns of Spas and Zarubovka

SITUATION: In the pre-dawn the fatherlands elite paratroop forces captured or overrun the towns of Volnoye, Orehovka, Snegiry, and Rodnik. Most importantly, they captured the airfield at Rodnik. The operation was an outstanding success with limited casualties. The weather has cleared and enemy forces have scattered to the east and towards the towns of Spas and Zarubovka.

High Command is delighted with the turn of events and has ordered you to quickly gather your forces and take advantage of the situation. Battle Group Alpha, to the north, is to capture Spas and more importantly your BG Bravo is tasked with taking Zarubovka with its train depot and supplies.

RE-ENFORCEMENTS: After the main assault kicks off... late arriving units will eventually flow into the action.  1 Pz IV,  1 Pz III L, 3 Pz III-m and a lone Tiger

BLT SS Tiger At The Gate.zip

HQgreyscale.png

Edited by Thad
  • Thanks 7

I played it 2 times tonight. The first lost, the second we won. No problems,  very enjoyable and indeed the AI are now a bit less active. That is an improvement. Thank you.

Still love the smoke effects, I used the smoke as cover. No bridge problems either. 

But I do not know why we lost or won. We do not had to kill'm all because there was at least 1 enemy alive. There was a pole with a German flag in the village, is that a base we must conquer ? (sorry if they are stupid questions but I am still a bit green regarding missions and campaigns and often do not exact know what to do. )

I noticed a very nice effect. I drove against a tree, it flexed and then suddenly broke, that felt really realistic. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply and input. :salute:

The image above basically shows the Flag Headquarters Area.

The flag capture is based upon which side has more units in the designated flag area. The area is 300 meters around the flag. When the Russians have more in the area the flag starts to move down and back up and capture time accrues. When  the Germans have more... the flag goes down and back up and the Germans start acquiring time of capture. This can go back and forth and a stalemate can be achieved. But if you kill most of the Russian tanks... you should win.

There is a time element involved too. But, basically if you have more units in the area.. you win even if there are a few enemy units around. They are assumed to have been captured or to have surrendered.

Please note that there is a measure of random events that can occur during a mission. The planes can take out tanks. The randomly landing rocket fire can take out units. The follow up Tiger tank can be immobilized or knocked out. If it isn't, it can be helpful later in the town. You could be blocked on the bridge, etc. 

One never knows what can happen during the battle completely.

I'm glad you enjoyed the mission overall. 

Edited by Thad

just downloaded and extracted the files and want to install it (have an "audio" folder and then a lot of "btl tiger at the gate" files outside this main folder) - do I just drop all of these directly into the IL2 data/missions folder (note running tank through steam)…...

Posted (edited)

Salutations,

Open the include folder in the zip file.

Move the Audio Folder and the mission files into your games missions folder.  :salute:

Edited by Thad

Why there never is a Tiger  waiting at my gate....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Open the include folder in the zip file.

Move the Audio Folder and the mission files into your games missions folder.  :salute:

thad - thanks for the reply but still a bit confused (perhaps you can do I step by step guide?)

Note this is the first mission I have tried to download and install hence the questions...…………..

Currently in my steam directory have a Il2 Stalingrad folder within this is a  /data/ missions folders - assume this is where you want me to copy the games files and audio folder? - note I have already in this "mission" folder a "tank" folder and then outside it many files with the prefix _gen (_gen.eng) for example is one of the files - from your instructions I think I just copy the audio folder and the game files into this mission folder? (only concern is if I add other missions and they all have audio folders do you collapse all the folders together into one "audio" folder or do u need to create a single mission folder for each separate mission I want to install?

Update : just noticed in my IL2 file structure I also have a data/audio folder and many of the downloaded missions I have a audio folder or media folder which contain some speech - assume they go into the data/audio folder or do they sit in the data/missions folder?

Edited by mac2244

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mac2244 said:

I think I just copy the audio folder and the game files into this mission folder? (only concern is if I add other missions and they all have audio folders do you collapse all the folders together into one "audio" folder or do u need to create a single mission folder for each separate mission I want to install?

Exactly.

Don't worry. I have separate "Audio" folders for all of my missions. When you place another audio folder in your missions folder it merely adds the new content to the already existing audio folder.

Of course you can place the mission files in any folder you desire in the games missions folder. :salute:

Below is an image of the contents of My Missions folders contents. Yours does not have to look like mine. The last series of files are the current mission I am working on. 

The other folders hold different tank missions while others have some of my flying missions.

MissionsFolder.PNG

Edited by Thad

thanks it seems a total mess! - normally I expect my missions all to have there sub folder within "missions" - but many different missions seem to use different conventions - some have a standalone mission folder for all the files others just have there files sitting in the missions folder all mixed up with other missions game files? is this understanding correct or am I missing something?

Posted (edited)

Nearly all those folders you see in my missions folder image contain the mission files. Make your own sub folders to hold the mission files

Edited by Thad

1 minute ago, Thad said:

All those folders you see in my missions folder image contain the mission files. 

got it still think it looks very messy - but as long as it works...………………..

so golden rule get a mission .zip and simply extract everything into the "missions" folder above - then the mission should show up in game? (simple!)

9 hours ago, mac2244 said:

got it still think it looks very messy - but as long as it works...………………..

so golden rule get a mission .zip and simply extract everything into the "missions" folder above - then the mission should show up in game? (simple!)

Does this mean you extract every single file one by one? I extract the whole mission in one piece into the Missions folder. In WinZip you have the files in the middle and the complete game on the left side,where the last downloads are shown, and the game I just downloaded is the first one.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, Yogiflight said:

Does this mean you extract every single file one by one? I extract the whole mission in one piece into the Missions folder. In WinZip you have the files in the middle and the complete game on the left side,where the last downloads are shown, and the game I just downloaded is the first one.

not exactly sure what you mean...……..….but of course I don't move it file by file - would also never extract something into a folder and potentially overwrite files if I don't understand what its doing...……………..

so what I do is extract everything into a new folder then once I am happy with everything cut and paste everything (the folder and the 7 or 8 files) into the mission folder - have to say though I find this whole process for adding single missions to Il2 tanks very unusual - with some missions being made in different formats ( i.e some missions look to have their own named "folder" which you just paste into the generic mission folder others seem to have many loose folders and files which you simply move into the "main" generic mission folders - so you could have a mass of different files relating to different missions and all mixed together in this generic mission folder - unless I am misunderstanding the process...…)

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, Thad said:

Nearly all those folders you see in my missions folder image contain the mission files. Make your own sub folders to hold the mission files

Think I get it thad!

have created sub folders for all my mission files - final question is I see an audio folder sitting outside any missions and I notice some missions that already have a sub folder for them have their media/audio folder within the mission sub folder! does this work ok? (seems very messy!) - how should you deal with the audio/media folders which some missions come with?

Posted (edited)

I have ALL of my media files in the one Audio folder not kept in the actual mission files folder. I find this simpler and less confusing.

This should normally not be a problem as long as the missions builders themselves get these files where the builder had placed them.

I just copy the missions audio folder into my games missions folder. Like in my images Audio folder.  :salute:

Edited by Thad

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:10 PM, Thad said:

I have ALL of my media files in the one Audio folder not kept in the actual mission files folder. I find this simpler and less confusing.

This should normally not be a problem as long as the missions builders themselves get these files where the builder had placed them.

I just copy the missions audio folder into my games missions folder. Like in my images Audio folder.  :salute:

thanks will try to combine everything

also to clarify many missions have an "audio" folder or "media" folder in their sub folder while some look to have no audio folder? - however think your recommending

moving all the media and audio files from their  mission sub folders into a single "audio" folder which I already have in my "missions folder? hope my understanding is correct?(also note in my "data" folder I also have a separate "audio" folder - assume I leave this untouched?

Yes, leave the 'audio' folder in your 'data' folder alone. :coffee:

Posted (edited)

Hi Thad, I just played this mission once more, well not to the end, because of an over motivated StuG III:acute:.

One suggestion for your missions, could you please place the text messages on top of the screen? During the mission I had two or three messages popping up, when I was just about to aim at an enemy tank. But apart from that the missions simply are a lot of fun.

Edited by Yogiflight

Posted (edited)

Salutations,

Yes I could do that. I'll update and post it when completed.  :coffee:

Edited by Thad