[_FLAPS_]Grim

Flying Circus worth it? Rise of Flight dead? What, where and how?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Dunno whether FC is dead before it could rise, but I sure hope that is not the case ...

just bought FC to support the Devs and of course complete my IL-2 collection.

Can also only attest that the new WWI planes look real gorgeous in 4K.

Can t wait to see what the upcoming Arras map will look like (and the final 2 planes that should arrive real soon).

Even if things don t improve I like it already (never tried RoF though, so I can t compare the planes).

See you in the air over France ... some Nice day.

Kind regards,

Stefaan

Edited by simfan2015
  • Like 1

My one disappointment with FC over RoF: the cockpit textures.  The RoF cockpits look very authentic, and the textures almost seem real.  The current FC cockpits are, in my Opinion, much further below the quality level.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, -HF-Aardvark892 said:

My one disappointment with FC over RoF: the cockpit textures.  The RoF cockpits look very authentic, and the textures almost seem real.  The current FC cockpits are, in my Opinion, much further below the quality level.

Yeah i'm with you on this Aardvark. To me the first planes developed, the Dr1 and Spad are pretty plain compared to RoF. The Spad cockpit seems so much richer and more alive in RoF.

Cockpits for later planes like the  Dolphin and Se5a look good though, so perhaps we'll see a revamp at some point.

That said, it isn't a show-stopper, just a disappointment.

1 hour ago, US103_Baer said:

I agree, but I think only the D7s and the Dolphin looks good. All the others require some work in my opinion.

Plus some minor bugs that needs fixing - the fuel gauge on the Camel apparently does not work (either full or empty I think), and the Dr1 engine sounds as if the mixture is at 60% at sea level, when the mixture is around 85-87%.

2 hours ago, US103_Baer said:

Yeah i'm with you on this Aardvark. To me the first planes developed, the Dr1 and Spad are pretty plain compared to RoF. The Spad cockpit seems so much richer and more alive in RoF.

Cockpits for later planes like the  Dolphin and Se5a look good though, so perhaps we'll see a revamp at some point.

Agree, FC SPAD have higher res texture & higher poly model, but ROF SPAD is totally better.
later planes look good though..............at least lighting effects is good.

I've saw some good canvas textures on FC, if FC can make more detailed performance on glass, metal etc..........

15 hours ago, -HF-Aardvark892 said:

Uhm, could you elaborate?

FC's cockpit textures have twice the resolution, I don't own the game but I can freely observe them in Photoshop and they look... "nice": material and shading look painted in a very convincing way, but of course looking at them from inside the model and within the lighting engine is different.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Picchio said:

Uhm, could you elaborate?

FC's cockpit textures have twice the resolution, I don't own the game but I can freely observe them in Photoshop and they look... "nice": material and shading look painted in a very convincing way, but of course looking at them from inside the model and within the lighting engine is different.

My guess is that the engine is different. BOX does not have the same contrast, the textures and rendering are more pastel, hence why spotting is more difficult and why aircraft easily go AWOL against the ground (makes it harder for game-play and I consider it a downgrade from ROF and CloD). ROF is more like CloD and spotting is easier. The cockpits have more contrast and the surfaces are more believable.

The cockpits in Flying Circus are more washed out (not in the WWII birds after the new shadow implementation) and it would require a better work with contrast and textures. At least with the Dr1, the guns have no sense of depth because the front seems a blob of gray. The D7s and the Dolphin looks gorgeous, but they seem to have gotten special attention. I personally don't like the SE5a and the Dva, which looks just like the others. It might be just coincidence and the D7 and the Dolphin have a cockpit that works in BOX. Who knows.

And I'm not sure if the 4K is a reality or if they just pasted the ROF texture to the new engine. I also don't like the canvas, the skins. But we are getting new samples from old skinners.

It is not a deal breaker for me. I got used to it. There are more important things to consider, but it worries a bit, of it to become a trend.

-------

Below you can see the Dr1 in BOX (left) and in ROF (right). They both have their limitations. It was ported to BOX with the same 3D model from 2008 I guess, and the support for the inclinometer could be revamped for example (looks even uglier in Flying Circus), along with other things (I guess it should be built from scratch to the new 4K engine). And the ROF cockpit has more contrast; the shadows are darker, which makes the gauges a bit more real. I'm not sure; it just looks off in Flying Circus. Like I said, it is an old model ported to a new engine. It was awesome in ROF, but I think we expected the same standard that we are getting with the WWII birds. DCS is better on this regard, but they are good enough in BOX with the WWII birds.

Note: disregard perspective - the left print gives more sense of perspective because it is angled. The right one has the guns almost leveled to the camera. Although I think the problem might lay in the old / outdated 3D model.

VvzoeQR.jpg

Edited by SeaW0lf
  • Upvote 1

I beleaved in the project and wanted more WW1 content despite owning all of ROF ALL 260-300 dollars of it give or take and paid full price for it because it is worth supporting the devs as they do a fantastic job and or this is really the only new ww1 flight sim atm. So it depends on the person I guess. So far though loving all the planes especially happy to have my albatross back.

• Like 4

i personally love FC , i have already had a lot of fun over the passed months, well worth my original investment, so for me FC has been well worth it. but it all depends on personal preference.

But if you would like to know what FC is like, there is the Sunday Flying Circus Furball, tonight on the Flying Circus Flyin Furballs server tonight starting at around 19:00 GMT, the server will allow spectators, so feel free if you want to see what FC is like, all are welcome to spectate and have a look.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, SeaSerpent said:

I guess on the plus side of Albatros-as-trainer, the pilot will have the opportunity to get very good at defensive tactics, because that is what I imagine it will spend most of its time doing.

That will take second place to knowing where to map the parachute button.

Edited by Klugermann
  • Haha 1

I'm not flying FC online until the proper map is out. I have no idea how many others are of the same mind but I hope it's a lot, otherwise I pretty much threw fifty quid down the drain.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Uffz-Prien said:

I'm not flying FC online until the proper map is out. I have no idea how many others are of the same mind but I hope it's a lot, otherwise I pretty much threw fifty quid down the drain.

I'm in the same boat. Have dabbled a bit with some the planes that are out, but haven't even touched the others yet. I'm looking forward to what they can do with the map, especially no-mans land, which was a bit disappointing in RoF. The screen shots we have seen so far look promising though, so I'm still optimistic that the map will be a big step up over RoF.

• Upvote 2

I'm basically holding out until they release the WW1 map.

I've flown a couple times with the current (wrong) map and it just a field of snow isn't all that interesting.

35 minutes ago, tfriest said:

I'm basically holding out until they release the WW1 map.

I've flown a couple times with the current (wrong) map and it just a field of snow isn't all that interesting.

Come to Jasta 5's Flying Circus Flugpark and dogfight over scenic Taman Bay — a picturesque inlet sandwiched between the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov on the Kuban map.

The water is so deep blue you'll imagine yourself in the Maldives!*

(*) Actual shade of the colour blue subject to in-game graphical and monitor settings. Always consult a medical professional when determining your ability to perceive colour. Not affiliated in any way with the Republic of the Maldives. This messaged bought and paid for by the Jasta 5 Greentails.

• Haha 3

On 7/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, SeaSerpent said:

Wow Bidu.  16 players.  That's really rockin'.🤢

If you count in base 4 it's 100.

On 7/15/2019 at 3:55 AM, Flashy said:

I'm in the same boat. Have dabbled a bit with some the planes that are out, but haven't even touched the others yet. I'm looking forward to what they can do with the map, especially no-mans land, which was a bit disappointing in RoF. The screen shots we have seen so far look promising though, so I'm still optimistic that the map will be a big step up over RoF.

I'm just really hoping they figure out a good way to do NML and the trenches without re-creating those horrible zig-zag forests from the old RoF Western Front map - it took me ages to create a mod package to get rid of those, and by then there were probably only a handful of people left to actually enjoy the results.  I really don't want to have to get that familiar with the map files in FC :)

• Like 3

On 7/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, J2_Bidu said:

Last week there was a peak of 16 players.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, J5_Hellbender said:

Come to Jasta 5's Flying Circus Flugpark and dogfight over scenic Taman Bay — a picturesque inlet sandwiched between the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov on the Kuban map.

The water is so deep blue you'll imagine yourself in the Maldives!*

(*) Actual shade of the colour blue subject to in-game graphical and monitor settings. Always consult a medical professional when determining your ability to perceive colour. Not affiliated in any way with the Republic of the Maldives. This messaged bought and paid for by the Jasta 5 Greentails.

Soo... next Black September would be WW1 BoB, with Taman renamed to Calais and Kerch to Dover 😀

Honestly, once we get two-seaters, the distances there are just right for ww1 channel war...

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1