Dagwoodyt

Where Did the Battle of Britain Go?

Seems I am alone in this but I had always hoped that TF would build upon Oleg's foundation to make CloD a worthy successor to Rowan's BoB/II. The shift in focus to a NA campaign has always puzzled me. This is not an issue worth arguing about as, after so many years, I am not even comfortable that the NA addon is more than an aspiration. Whether the "5.0 thing" would need  or ever get a VR implementation appears an even more fantastical discussion. Seems like the BoB done "right" must remain a simmers' dream. At any rate I believe 1CGS has done itself a huge favor by giving TF access to the CloD source code. That way, even if the NA "addon" eventually becomes lost somewhere the time-space continuum, 1CGS will have done it's duty to this small CFS community.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Seems like the BoB done "right" must remain a simmers' dream. 

A BoB done "right" means a mix or BoB:WoW campaign system, WOTR AI, CloD planes... so "must remains simmer's impossible dream".  ;)

Thing is, CloD "Channel" don't sell anymore - at least in meaning numbers, so is need something new like the NA.

Anyway fixes and improvements of 5.0 will be applicable in Channel map, free. 

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

I understand the "Channel" not selling well. Seems CloD is unfixable with available resources. How then would those "resources" be capable of creating a coherent game world in a NA sandbox? If the plan has ultimately devolved into mostly building new vehicles to shoot at in MP that is surely workable though not necessarily inspiring. It is the unknown story behind the decision to abandon the "Channel" that I see as central  and unexplained. Further, if the underlying source code cannot be mastered it must afflict a NA sim no less than it has doomed CloD.

Basically for TF 4.5 Blitz, the main dish is the Battle of Britain/Channel map. For TF 5.0 Tobruk, the main dish is Tobruk/North Africa, while the side dish is the Channel map (1941). IF, TF 6.0 goes ahead then the main dish while hopefully be Malta, while the side dish(es) would likely be the Channel map (1942) and quite possibly Bay of Biscay/Algeria Morroco, etc. maps.

After the Battle of Britain, the RAF mainly went to the Mediterranean while operations still continued in England until the end of the war.

Hi,

FWIW and IMHO COD *IS* done right.

IL-2 COD makes me feel to be in the BOB, over the channel and to me that s the only thing that counts (but YMMV of course).

I personally think TF deserves my sincere admiration.

Being able to get COD on steam for a mere 7 EURO is the only thing *NOT* right : that s a steal.

Count me in -and get my $- as first in line to get TF 5.0 as soon as NA gets out of the door !

Regards,

Stefaan

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

They are also going to release a DCG, single player campaigns, are also fixing multiple bugs in the original map.and content, revising an recoding the Ai........ so lots of content all round. 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, Mysticpuma said:

They are also going to release a DCG, single player campaigns, are also fixing multiple bugs in the original map.and content, revising an recoding the Ai........ so lots of content all round. 

Do we know much about the DCG ? will it be anything like BoX career mode or something completely different ?

Hopefully Pattle or Buzzsaw will answer your question? 

In another thread buzzsaw said this:

At this point we have done work on a Dynamic Campaign Generator... but it is unclear whether it will be ready for TF 5.0... it may be added later in a patch.

We’re doing plenty of stuff on the channel map still, using new and old aircraft.

Unfortunately none of these, may happen sometime if "real world" commitments permit, improvements are showcased in Blitz.

20 hours ago, -332FG-Buddy said:

My dream 1. Clod in VR

2. TAW in clod.  ( BOB to NA) 

hum, ok... the first one is understandable, but  what the heck the second point means?
sorry, forgot my enigma rolls today:biggrin:

4 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

hum, ok... the first one is understandable, but  what the heck the second point means?
sorry, forgot my enigma rolls today:biggrin:

In il2 great battles there is a multiplayer server that runs everycouple months for only two months called TAW, ot tactical air war.  It is way more realistic then other MP modes being that it's a live battle field with ongoing objects to move the map and have ur team win.  There is stuff penalties to dieing, getting captured, losing a plane, etc.

It's my favorite mp mode

4 hours ago, -332FG-Buddy said:

...a live battle field with ongoing objects to move the map and have ur team win

CLoD had similar server with moving front lines, e.g. TWC, don't know if actually are some campaign ongoing. 

Seems to me that Blitz would be used to showcase upcoming improvements if those improvements were more than aspirational. Why wouldn't the team want to increase interest in Blitz in order to build a potential audience for a TF 5.0?

Thing is that "Blitz" result bit of "shoot in the foot", take to much time to came and result "too little, too late", ending make some people loose their faint and even shelved the game. For me one (of various motives) was the cheese new fires and effects, IMHO ways poor than originals. I hate that GUI screen with Bf 110 on "fire". :nea:

Well, let's hope that "5.0" became a "Phoenix". ;)

Posted (edited)

Seems like NA came about because the team tried to master CloD but could not do  so. Even if TF 5.0 were to ever materialize it seems likely that the same gremlins would haunt “Tobruk”. How would customer complaints be handled if the product is a team “hobby” where there might be no one available to manage problems whenever the team’s “real world” commitments intrude? “Dream building” is ok, but it has been going on now for a very long time.  At some point hard questions will have to be addressed. 

Edited by Dagwoodyt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Dagwoodyt said:

Seems like NA came about because the team tried to master CloD but could not do  so. Even if TF 5.0 were to ever materialize it seems likely that the same gremlins would haunt “Tobruk”. How would customer complaints be handled if the product is a team “hobby” where there might be no one available to manage problems whenever the team’s “real world” commitments intrude? “Dream building” is ok, but it has been going on now for a very long time.  At some point hard questions will have to be addressed. 

Hello Dagwoodyt

You seem to be asking the same questions in each post.

-  First of all... TF 5.0 'Tobruk' will be published.  I will not mention a date... that is 1C's decision anyway.  But you will see it for sale.

-  2nd of all... The various issues in CoD are continually being addressed... in the 4.5 patch and in subsequent patches... you will see 4.56 soon.  That was what originally motivated TF and if you compare the original game and what exists currently, there are enormous improvements in place.

-  Your original premise... that we should focus on the BoB again, does not make sense either from a business point of view or from the player's levels of interest... by far the majority of the community wants new maps and content.  Which is why we are going to N Africa.  (also that Theater does not conflict with the BoX series)

Time to close the thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1