I have the Original "Rise of Flight" before IL2 bought them, so I haven't bought "Flying Circus" yet. One thing that might pursuade  me is if anyone can tell me if "Flying Circus " supports VR. Thahnk you.

5 minutes ago, onlyforbrian said:

I have the Original "Rise of Flight" before IL2 bought them, so I haven't bought "Flying Circus" yet. One thing that might pursuade  me is if anyone can tell me if "Flying Circus " supports VR. Thahnk you.

Yes

The FC aircraft are quite wonderful in VR.

Posted (edited)

Yes, that is precisely why I jumped in, on and around this sim.

Just do it! You won't regret it.  Unless you're one who frequents buyers remorse. :dash:

VR is the only way to fly!  .... unless you count the many varieties of reality and alternate realities.... :blink:

Edited by Rhan_N_Singh
typo
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, onlyforbrian said:

I have the Original "Rise of Flight" before IL2 bought them

IL-2 never bought RoF.

RoF was the first product of the team 1C in the IL-2 series.

4 hours ago, Elem said:

IL-2 never bought RoF.

RoF was the first product of the team 1C in the IL-2 series.

RoF was originally created by the Neoqb team.  777 Studios - owned by Jason Williams - was the USA publisher.  The year after release 777 Studios aquired the rights to the complete game and took over employment of the Neoqb dev team.

When CLoD went belly up the owners of the IL2 series - 1CGames - came together with 777 Studios to form a new company called 1C Games Studios to produce what we have now.

So...your kinda both right....:)

• Like 1

Pimax 5K with its wide Field of View is almost a must have for these Great War planes,So far it is one of the few VR Headsets with which you can actually look over your shoulder without having to turn your chair. Improvents are said to be on the way with an 8K version, better headstraps and base stations so while the 5K is very good,it might be worth it to wait a bit.

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Pimax 5K with its wide Field of View is almost a must have for these Great War planes,So far it is one of the few VR Headsets with which you can actually look over your shoulder without having to turn your chair. Improvents are said to be on the way with an 8K version, better headstraps and base stations so while the 5K is very good,it might be worth it to wait a bit.

I thought about Primax 5k, but It's not released here yet in Canada that I know of,  plus the price.. so in the meantime, I went with the Samsung Odyssey+, great headset for IL2, no external sensors, almost no screendoor. I'm loving it.

• Like 1

Never tried VR so I can't really say much about it, I only what I've read . Been using Trackir for years on several flight and combat sims. May give VR a try one day. Do you still use your control stick and rudder petals with VR and is there a need for a monitor?  I bought ROF when it first came out and really like it. Thinking about purchasing FC next and I read where  the FC team will have a career Mode soon.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, reddog=11blueleader* said:

Never tried VR so I can't really say much about it, I only what I've read . Been using Trackir for years on several flight and combat sims. May give VR a try one day. Do you still use your control stick and rudder petals with VR and is there a need for a monitor?  I bought ROF when it first came out and really like it. Thinking about purchasing FC next and I read where  the FC team will have a career Mode soon.

You need a good hotas for VR, since you have no monitor, save what is strapped to your head, and you can't really peek out from behind that VR headset to type or whatever; once you get a good whiff of true VR, it's really hard to go back to 2D, and especially TrackIR.

It  is, to use a really hackneyed term, a transformational experience ( I will NEVER forget my first VR virtual flight!!), but you must have enough PC horsepower to run high resolution VR screens, otherwise, the text that BoX relies upon is too blurred to read.  Normal, written-for-VR titles are okay, since they don't depend on text too much, but the stuff originally written for 2D is just too dependent on small text to be usable in conventional VR headsets.

I found that, once I bit the very expensive bullet and bought the Vive Pro, it was nothing but great from then on.  People can say what they will, but the Pro made all the difference in the world, and the wireless adapter is really good.

Everything else, hardware-wise, is either too poor at tracking or too low resolution to read.  See if you can get someone to let you give it a trial first; it's very expensive.

Sadly, today, you gotta pay (a lot) to play.  Hopefully, that will change.

Edited by mpdugas
spacing
  • Like 1

ahem.... What mpdugas said almost precisely. 😉

I Also upgraded to the 'overpriced', Vive Pro about six months after I got the standard Vive, but do not regret it.  That is how insane I am about VR (and how foolishly I can toss away more money.🤨)  The Pro is a significant improvement; clearer image, more accurate tracking, more comfortable...blah blah blah...  (Read the reviews, I'm pretty sure you may already have.)

The only down side (other than the inflated cost), is the convenient tightening knob of the back, does stick out a teeny bit, and will...if you have a head rest on you chair...keep your head up a wee bit more from the head rest, which is not all that comfortable.  A slight inconvenience.  That and the cost again, is really more than it should be. (down to a grand on Amazon)  That being said, still currently the best available, if only slightly, but that slight bit does make a difference.

That will change however as new stuff is rapidly coming out! 

Steam is releasing their version soon, an am keeping an eye on that one! Vive also is introducing some new gear that is all self contained (IE no external tracking stations) and even clearer and higher resolution.  (I will be looking long and hard at that one!) This of course will mean I will need to upgrade my video card.  Currently running a GTX 1080ti and that honestly is just enough to keep it at steady 45 fps with clouds on.  (peak at 90 fps with clouds off.)  IL2 isn't perfect yet with VR.  Damn good!, just not quite perfectly smooth. Tiny hic ups.  There are some tweaks out there, but I personally haven't noticed any changes in performance.

Anyway,... Newer gear will always mean having to upgrade the older gear... sigh... it's only money right? 🙄

Also Note: If you have the TrackIR Amazon will credit you on the return of the TrackIR for VR gear.  Save you I think $50. (correction...$49.55...just checked)

Bottom line, and I am sure anyone who has VR will confirm... if you haven't experienced VR, go find a place where you can.  It isn't anything that can simply be expressed in text or language alone.  It absolutely must be experienced to completely understand why we are all completely mad about it.  :crazy:  And are willing to throw our hard earned cash at newer better tech.

And not just this sim either... there is a quite a bit of really entertaining games out their now that you just can't imagine.  And this is just the beginning. 

VRE.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rhan_N_Singh said:

ahem.... What mpdugas said almost precisely. 😉

I Also upgraded to the 'overpriced', Vive Pro about six months after I got the standard Vive, but do not regret it.  That is how insane I am about VR (and how foolishly I can toss away more money.🤨)  The Pro is a significant improvement; clearer image, more accurate tracking, more comfortable...blah blah blah...  (Read the reviews, I'm pretty sure you may already have.)

The only down side (other than the inflated cost), is the convenient tightening knob of the back, does stick out a teeny bit, and will...if you have a head rest on you chair...keep your head up a wee bit more from the head rest, which is not all that comfortable.  A slight inconvenience.  That and the cost again, is really more than it should be. (down to a grand on Amazon)  That being said, still currently the best available, if only slightly, but that slight bit does make a difference.

That will change however as new stuff is rapidly coming out! 

Steam is releasing their version soon, an am keeping an eye on that one! Vive also is introducing some new gear that is all self contained (IE no external tracking stations) and even clearer and higher resolution.  (I will be looking long and hard at that one!) This of course will mean I will need to upgrade my video card.  Currently running a GTX 1080ti and that honestly is just enough to keep it at steady 45 fps with clouds on.  (peak at 90 fps with clouds off.)  IL2 isn't perfect yet with VR.  Damn good!, just not quite perfectly smooth. Tiny hic ups.  There are some tweaks out there, but I personally haven't noticed any changes in performance.

Anyway,... Newer gear will always mean having to upgrade the older gear... sigh... it's only money right? 🙄

Also Note: If you have the TrackIR Amazon will credit you on the return of the TrackIR for VR gear.  Save you I think $50. (correction...$49.55...just checked)

Bottom line, and I am sure anyone who has VR will confirm... if you haven't experienced VR, go find a place where you can.  It isn't anything that can simply be expressed in text or language alone.  It absolutely must be experienced to completely understand why we are all completely mad about it.  :crazy:  And are willing to throw our hard earned cash at newer better tech.

And not just this sim either... there is a quite a bit of really entertaining games out their now that you just can't imagine.  And this is just the beginning. 

VRE.jpg

Thanks for your input on VR  Rhan, very informative. You really have my interest in VR !   I'm defiantly going to look into VR more and study all I can about it. Thanks

3 hours ago, mpdugas said:

You need a good hotas for VR, since you have no monitor, save what is strapped to your head, and you can't really peek out from behind that VR headset to type or whatever; once you get a good whiff of true VR, it's really hard to go back to 2D, and especially TrackIR.

It  is, to use a really hackneyed term, a transformational experience ( I will NEVER forget my first VR virtual flight!!), but you must have enough PC horsepower to run high resolution VR screens, otherwise, the text that BoX relies upon is too blurred to read.  Normal, written-for-VR titles are okay, since they don't depend on text too much, but the stuff originally written for 2D is just too dependent on small text to be usable in conventional VR headsets.

I found that, once I bit the very expensive bullet and bought the Vive Pro, it was nothing but great from then on.  People can say what they will, but the Pro made all the difference in the world, and the wireless adapter is really good.

Everything else, hardware-wise, is either too poor at tracking or too low resolution to read.  See if you can get someone to let you give it a trial first; it's very expensive.

Sadly, today, you gotta pay (a lot) to play.  Hopefully, that will change.

Very interesting mpdugas. What kind of hotas do you use with VR and what computer specs do you have to run your VR?  thanks

CV1 Rift user here with Warthog hotas and very happy even with an 'older' headset.

I built my VR PC from scratch last year which is really the only way to go as you can select the best components. Off the shelf PC's always have a compromise in order to satisfy the price point.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, reddog=11blueleader* said:

Thanks for your input on VR  Rhan, very informative. You really have my interest in VR !   I'm defiantly going to look into VR more and study all I can about it. Thanks 

Very interesting mpdugas. What kind of hotas do you use with VR and what computer specs do you have to run your VR?  thanks

No problem! Glad to be of assistance, and hope you get to experience VR soon.  

As a suggestion.... WARNING:  Sales pitch! WARNING: 

👉GOOGLE EARTH, a free app, has astounded friends and family in VR.  Good starter for a newbie.   Yes... simple olde Google Earth...    and it's FREE,  As well as Steam's 👉THE LAB.  It will BLOW>>> YOU>>>>AWAY>>>>  maybe,  and it's free!  Both have astounded and made fans of VR immediately upon viewing & playing.   Did I remember to mention... that they are both FREE?  One perk for VR... free stuff.  Free stuff can be good.

And as far as a HOTAS for me.. (though you didn't ask me 😪 ) ..JK...

I use the Saitek (now Logitech) X-56.  Mainly as it was far cheaper than the Warthog and it was designed with ELITE DANGEROUS in mind.  Game I was obsessed with.. and will be again, once I get more time to get involved.  

The X-56 is with it's flaws though.   I have owned more than enough of them to pay for one Warthog and then some.  I believe seven total?   I will have to count. I currently have three in use, one per PC and one backup.... I know TMI... but I'm getting there...  :coffee:

So, the reason for so many, is that they haven't been life long companions... IE they may fail, within a year, (on the Saitek Version, NOT sure about Logitech... yet)

This is due to fragile wiring ribbons in the throttle that would fracture from use.  I will guess extreme temperature changes may have contributed.  I do prefer to keep my house cold.   So yeah, it would break from about seven to eight months of minor use.  It's not like I'm wailing on the throttle, slamming it from 0-100%!  No, this is gentle gradual input like all good pilots.  I am currently using a Logitech and it has lasted longer, but I am in a more moderated temperature zone for this PC.  It's been running good since March of 2017.  At least Saitek was very good and fast on the warranty replacements.  Logitech, I hope not to have to use the warranty.  We will see.  Actually I think it may be expired........ Hmmmm

Not to dissuade you from the X-56, as I do like it.  (obviously SEVEN... sheesh)  And I do prefer the control configuration over that of the Warthog setup.   It has these two fantastic little thumb joysticks/buttons on the X-56 that are perfect for thrusters in Elite, can't ...errrr... WONT play Elite without them.  IL2...not quite as useful,  one I have for a blip switch, and the other...  uh.... something...

BUT! ,  I will get Warthog some day.  Probably next spring after I move and get settled.  I have wanted one from reading reviews and seeing the vast majority seem to like it...  A LOT.   And they better for that price. 

So.... there you go... I'm not so sure I was as helpful this time.  So to sum it up after you wasted that minute of your life reading all this feldercarb.   The X-56 is cheap...er , but  may not be as good as the Warthog.   Yeah, don't you wish you saw that at the start?  Could have saved a moment.   :rtfm:   Now ask yourself, why are all the fun toys so dam ned expensive?

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 7:47 PM, reddog=11blueleader* said:

I use my decades-old CH Fighter Stick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals combination. Utterly reliable, dead simple to program and an easy-to-learn layout. I used Track IR until I could memorize the HOTAS buttons in-game, then switched to the Pro full-time.

I currently run a 1080ti plus an Intel 7960X.  I've the Vive Pro plus the wireless adapter, using the version 1 tracking stations in my seated environment.  I find that the 90fps minimum requirement somewhat puzzling, because I never have problems at frame-rates down around 40 or so; I don't know, it may be an individual physiological thing where some people get nauseated from lower fps.  For me, whatever I am getting is fine.

I still remember my first flight, which was in the trusty old SU-25T at the time.  The first thing I noticed was how absolutely tiny a cockpit actually is, relative to your body.  I got things going and taxied to the runway and sensed, for the first time ever, how the aircraft wobbles and pitches ever-so-slightly on the taxiway.  I checked against the 2D world, and the wobble was there, just as in 3D, but I'd never noticed it before.  The sensation was so pronounced that I wiggled my chair to see if it was moving.

Needless to say, being able to lean out and look down over the cockpit rail while banked in a steep turn was vertigo-inducing to a wonderful degree.  Then, the utterly blurry text made me so disappointed that I almost gave up.  Since the store I bought the Pro from allowed me a 30 day return, I took a cash-chance and tried it.

That ever-so-slight visual acuity increase that the higher resolution of the Pro gives finally made the whole VR-in-simulator a viable proposition; I'd almost given up, with the standard Vive, because the text just couldn't be read.

Now, as they say, enough is as good as a feast!

Of course, there is always room for improvement, so I am eagerly awaiting the Steam Knuckles and a better GPU.

Try it, you'll love it.

Edited by mpdugas
correction

21 hours ago, mpdugas said:

I use my decades-old CH Fighter Stick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals combination. Utterly reliable, dead simple to program and an easy-to-learn layout. I used Track IR until I could memorize the HOTAS buttons in-game, then switched to the Pro full-time.

I currently run a 1080ti plus an Intel 7960X.  I've the Vive Pro plus the wireless adapter, using the version 1 tracking stations in my seated environment.  I find that the 90fps minimum requirement somewhat puzzling, because I never have problems at frame-rates down around 40 or so; I don't know, it may be an individual physiological thing where some people get nauseated from lower fps.  For me, whatever I am getting is fine.

I still remember my first flight, which was in the trusty old SU-25T at the time.  The first thing I noticed was how absolutely tiny a cockpit actually is, relative to your body.  I got things going and taxied to the runway and sensed, for the first time ever, how the aircraft wobbles and pitches ever-so-slightly on the taxiway.  I checked against the 2D world, and the wobble was there, just as in 3D, but I'd never noticed it before.  The sensation was so pronounced that I wiggled my chair to see if it was moving.

Needless to say, being able to lean out and look down over the cockpit rail while banked in a steep turn was vertigo-inducing to a wonderful degree.  Then, the utterly blurry text made me so disappointed that I almost gave up.  Since the store I bought the Pro from allowed me a 30 day return, I took a cash-chance and tried it.

That ever-so-slight visual acuity increase that the higher resolution of the Pro gives finally made the whole VR-in-simulator a viable proposition; I'd almost given up, with the standard Vive, because the text just couldn't be read.

Now, as they say, enough is as good as a feast!

Of course, there is always room for improvement, so I am eagerly awaiting the Steam Knuckles and a better GPU.

Try it, you'll love it.

Hey, thanks a lot for your info on the Vive.  Happy Flying!