Jump to content

Pacific theatre


Ekaton
 Share

Recommended Posts

343KKT_Kintaro

Heinkel He 111 also existed in a torpedo bomber version. It operated over the Atlantic but I don't know if it also saw action during or after the Normandy landings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

343KKT_Kintaro
On 12/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, namhee2 said:

I can still remember how I used the Crimean Map and Palm trees to create a small Pacific atmosphere to fly the Zero

 

I was wrong about the code number (patch 1.22, not 1.2b), about the date (21 January 2004, not 2003), and the American plane (P-51 indeed, not Wildcat).

 

But I was right about the map. You didn't need that Crimean map since, as I was saying, there was a fictionnal Pacific islands map inlcuded in the patch. Please check over there for the content included in the patch (new planes were P-51D-5 Mustang, Ki-84-1a Hayate, and A6M5a Zero):

 

https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Faqs/000009349/IL2-Forgotten-Battles-v1-22-patch-1364550021039

 

Check over there for the date (January the 21st, 2004):

 

https://www.patches-scrolls.com/dl.php?file=il2fb122dsu.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

343KKT_Kintaro
On 12/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

 

I was wrong about the code number (patch 1.22, not 1.2b)

 

Well, apparently I wasn't that wrong: patch 1.2b, released on November the 15th 2003, was a beta of the 1.22 patch released on January the 21st, 2004.

 

Patch 1.2b really released those three planes as flyable aircraft. It also released the B-17s as AI aircraft among other features.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

III/JG53Frankyboy
On 12/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, 343KKT_Kintaro said:

Heinkel He 111 also existed in a torpedo bomber version. It operated over the Atlantic but I don't know if it also saw action during or after the Normandy landings.

but over the black sea for sure  - aka Kuban map 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bremspropeller

Why is the map-size an issue for the Solomons/ New Guinea?

Most of that map is just water. Most of the land is uninhabited rainforest and the number of villages to depict is relatively low. You don't have to depict those villages so well that you'll be able to identify them by the skyline of Main Street. It's sufficient to have a couple of huts and houses and have them at the same spot as on the map to figure out where you are.

There are two "cities" on a large, combines S+NG map: Rabaul and Port Moresby. Those are small towns by western standards.

 

What would be a little more exciting is getting data on all airfields and major bases, but I'm quite sure that's a challenge that can easily be tackled with the help of some poeple here in the forum.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a bit of artistic liberty and right attitude maps and flight time will not be a problem. 
Puristic thinking and playability do not go together in some areas of PTO
 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

O_DesoLunatic
38 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

With a bit of artistic liberty and right attitude maps and flight time will not be a problem. 
Puristic thinking and playability do not go together in some areas of PTO
 


Agreed, especially for multiplayer. I noticed that combatbox appears to have more traffic with Bodenplatte missions that have objectives and airfields closer together, meaning more action and fun for everyone involved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, desolunatic said:

Agreed, especially for multiplayer. I noticed that combatbox appears to have more traffic with Bodenplatte missions that have objectives and airfields closer together, meaning more action and fun for everyone involved. 

Yes. But luckily some left at distance. So bombers can climb in relative safety. 
A choice for all is always a good strategy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Yes. But luckily some left at distance. So bombers can climb in relative safety. 
A choice for all is always a good strategy 

Quite relative safety, with enemy players camping around spawn airfields jumping on unaware bombers and lone players while ignoring objectives.

So many times home airfield is less safe than being over enemy positions.

Easiest way to boost kills/points and become Ace, never mind losing the map 😂!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

Quite relative safety, with enemy players camping around spawn airfields jumping on unaware bombers and lone players while ignoring objectives.😂!

 


This happens a lot, and put me directly into a chopper in DCS for a week in frustration. 
The buggers think they are clever too. 
I can name them if it would be a point doing, but it is a unavoidable interweb problem

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...