Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

VR specific national markings

I wonder if it is possible to help out VR players by providing (optional) an extra obvious roundal for Allied aircraft so that identifying friend from foe in online play is a little more straight forward ?  At medium distances if the white on the roundal was more obvious, a bit like Far East command roundals, then it might help VR players with their tactical game without having to resort to the crutch of playing with icons.

• Confused 1

My two pennies worth: I don't see this as being a solution to the problem as, by the time you can make out the markings, you are well past the point of IDing via profile.

I fly in a first gen Vive, and find IDing by profile difficult beyond 1 km. This is due to the low pixel density: The Vive offers a 110 degree FOV, over 1080 pixels (per eye), meaning you get about 9.8 pixels per degree. A plane with a 10 meter wing span (is that a 109 or P40?) has an angular measure of a little over a half a degree when viewed from 1 km distance, meaning it will offer up an approximate 5X5 pixel profile. Not really enough info there to determine taper, dihedral, etc. in order to make a proper ID.

A better solution might be an increase in our zoom capability. We currently get a 1.5x zoom which would boost that 5X5 image to a paltry 8X8, which seldom proves enough to aid in IDing (often times I find the zoom function does nothing to increase the rendered size of the plane in question if it is beyond the 1 km threshold). A greater zoom would go a long way to increasing the amount of information presented. However, one of the problems with the zoom function is the way it flattens the depth of the rendered image, which can cause disorientation/nausea if you pan your head while tracking your target. An increase in zoom will likely further flatten the render depth, and exacerbate the vomit inducing effect.

Another possible solution that I have contemplated would be the use of zoom only icons. I hate icons, as they are obtrusive on my end, and a giant bullseye painted across my backside from the perspective of my opponents. As such, I am reticent to suggest their use, but if it could be constrained to only displaying while zoomed and within a set range (say 2.5 km) it would alleviate the mid range ID issue and keep me from chasing down misidentified friendlies. I wouldn't want detailed information, just the color coordinated arrows to indicate friend or foe, as that should be enough to inform one's decision to attack or not.

Until we get better resolution out of our headsets or some in game solution, I will rely on my usual method of watching for positional/behavioral cues, flak/ground fire, and/or tracer fire to guess the affiliation of a contact. I've only a few mishaps using this technique, but still... it is a big SA killer devoting so much time to trying to ID those pixelated blobs. So hopefully we can look forward to some form of solution in the not to distant future.

I don't think there are any, perfect, solutions,  I hate icons, especially as implimented in BoX, they destroy the tactical part of the game.  The only reason I mentioned my original point was that, playing FC, one of the first things that I could definetly, and consistently use to tell friend from foe, when set against the backdrop of the earth was the white part of the roundels on the Allied aircraft. If the white part was emphized on middle distance renders it might partially alleviate the dificulty of telling friend from foe without  massively distracting from the overall game.