307_Banzai

Any chance of A-20G being added to BoX?

I am currently playing Gambit's excellent Havoc over Kuban campaign.

I really enjoy flying A-20 in low level ground attack and anti-shipping roles.

I would love to see A-20G variant in game. 6 cal.50's in the nose and 2 mg's in the rear turret. What a beast 😍.

Any love for A-20G guys? Would you like to see it in game?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Ha - I was wishing it was the G myself. ;)

• Upvote 1

I'll raise you the A-20G and counter with the B-25J gun nose...

But in all seriousness...yeah, it'd be fun 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

Hard to tell what the future holds, but the A20 seems to be likely in BoBP as an AI plane.

51 minutes ago, 307_Banzai said:

I am currently playing Gambit's excellent Havoc over Kuban campaign.

I really enjoy flying A-20 in low level ground attack and anti-shipping roles.

I would love to see A-20G variant in game. 6 cal.50's in the nose and 2 mg's in the rear turret. What a beast 😍.

I would be all for the A20G. I use the A20B in-game mostly for high speed, low-level attacks, and find myself wishing for more guns up front to enable me to more effectively suppress AA or strafe after my bombs are dropped. An A20 with a 4000lb bomb load AND forward-firing machine guns would become one of the best ground attack aircraft in the sim. 

• Like 1

No, I think it shouldn't be considered for now.

• The "strafer" concept worked out in the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre, but it didn't in Europe. A-20G/H formations on the Western Front were usually lead by J/K models and the VVS converted a substantial number of theirs into glass-nosed variants or used them in mixed formation and at night.

• It wouldn't be usable in any of the (non-scripted) single-player campaigns, including BoBP, for historical reasons.

Let them turn the Mitchell Mk. II/B-25D into a collector aircraft first and add the Ar 234 B-2 second. Then there's a historically omnipresent Hawker Typhoon missing and a Spitfire Mk.XIV waiting. And that's just BoBP...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Had they built it from the beginning, yes.

Now, I'd rather they focus their efforts on other planes.

37 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

No, I think it shouldn't be considered for now.

• The "strafer" concept worked out in the Asiatic-Pacific-Theatre, but it didn't in Europe. A-20G/H formations on the Western Front were usually lead by J/K models and the VVS converted a substantial number of theirs into glass-nosed variants or used them in mixed formation and at night.

• It wouldn't be usable in any of the (non-scripted) single-player campaigns, including BoBP, for historical reasons.

Let them turn the Mitchell Mk. II/B-25D into a collector aircraft first and add the Ar 234 B-2 second. Then there's a historically omnipresent Hawker Typhoon missing and a Spitfire Mk.XIV waiting. And that's just BoBP...

That's a good point. The Typhoon would really complete the BoBp plane set, and the Mitchell would give us a twin engine bomber/attacker which so far is missing in that plane set. 

Would like an A-20G myself, but they have also mentioned that the Mosquito is quite possible. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 357th_Dog said:

I'll raise you the A-20G and counter with the B-25J gun nose...

^^^^^ THIS!!!!!! ^^^^^

Posted (edited)

We need moar twins. And a jacuzzi!

Seriously:

You can't go wrong with either:

- a solid-nosed late war A-20

- a B-25 with several modificatirs (glass-nose, gun-nose, big gun nose)

- a B-26

- a friggin A-26

- eff, almost forgot the Mosquito!

- and the Ju 88C/G for weird night/ zerstörer-action!

- did I mention the Ju 188?

Personally, I want them all!

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

I don't think so, 777 decide to make B-25D, not J or later version means they don't want such powerful plane to break the balance. You have the same powerful front fire as il2 while your bomb load and speed is the same as PE2, and your gunner fire is the same or even much than PE2? In view of the appearance of bombers in the game I cant imagine that scenario🤣. Unless Blue have plenty of 262s, or LW cant resist any wave of attack.

Edited by 8./JG5_seaflanker819
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 8./JG5_seaflanker819 said:

777 decide to make B-25D, not J or later version means they don't want such powerful plane to break the balance.

The Mitchell Mk. II was the main RAF variant throughout the war and not chosen for balancing.

1 hour ago, thenorm said:

they have also mentioned that the Mosquito is quite possible. 

Who told you that? Only a few Mosquito night fighter detachments and a reconnaissance unit were based within the BoBP map's boundaries during the BoBP timeframe.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Who told you that? Only a few Mosquito night fighter detachments and a reconnaissance unit were based within the BoBP map's boundaries during the BoBP timeframe.

Jason said that in an interview on Stormbirds blog iirc.

5 hours ago, 8./JG5_seaflanker819 said:

I don't think so, 777 decide to make B-25D, not J or later version means they don't want such powerful plane to break the balance. You have the same powerful front fire as il2 while your bomb load and speed is the same as PE2, and your gunner fire is the same or even much than PE2? In view of the appearance of bombers in the game I cant imagine that scenario🤣. Unless Blue have plenty of 262s, or LW cant resist any wave of attack.

Balance, what balance........are K4 1.98ata and 262 good balance?

5 hours ago, 8./JG5_seaflanker819 said:

There's a few fallacies at work here with your post.

Not the least of which is that to even have this notion you'd have to be thinking from an "online only" point of view, forgetting entirely the more significant single player aspect of the product.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, =27=Davesteu said:

The Mitchell Mk. II was the main RAF variant throughout the war and not chosen for balancing.

I asked Jason about bombers broadly and the A-20G and Mosquito both came up.

The B-25 Mitchell is coming to Bodenplatte as an AI aircraft. Are you still hoping to eventually make this a flyable type? Are there other bombers (A-20G, Mosquito, B-17, etc.) you’d like to see the series eventually tackle?

Jason: “Yep, that’s why I insisted we build it as AI first for BOBP. Couldn’t fit the cockpit into this budget. The interior is a huge project, but doable because I can get access to one or two real-life examples of the B-25. Quite a few of those still exist. A Mossie would be sweet and totally doable too. My biggest issue with American bombers is modelling the turret. Such a hard space to research and model. I believe the A-20G and B-25 has the same turret, but don’t remember for sure. If anyone has detailed info about American turrets like drawings, manuals, pictures etc. please send them to me. Proper references material 90% of the battle."

Daniel: “Yes, we hope one day to have it player-controlled. Due to this strategic objective we’re developing its external 3D model and physics model same as we do for all our player-controlled planes. So, after we will have release AI B-25 we only got to find occasion to develop interior for it. Of cause, its interior is a real complex thing, but we hope that one day we will find opportunity to create it.”

https://stormbirds.blog/2019/02/12/part-2-an-interview-with-jason-williams-and-daniel-tuseev/

As much as a Mosquito doesn't necessarily fit Bodenplatte I can still see it being a popular type that would hopefully find its way into the series anyways. If the devs do another Europe scenario at some point then the Mosquito may feature more heavily there. The A-20G and J are both possible types too and with so few differences between the two of them it could be possible to do both.

As for the B-25... the AI model looks great and it really sounds like they intend to do it at some point. Jason's talked about the B-26 in the past too. I know some folks want the big bombers but these smaller more tactical bombers fit the way a lot of us fly and they are a lot easier for the devs to build.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I asked Jason about bombers broadly and the A-20G and Mosquito both came up.

Ok, but Jason simply stated that "a Mossie would be sweet and totally doable too" and not that "the Mosquito is quite possible [to happen]". I might be splitting hairs, but the latter comment is somewhat ambiguous and misleading.

3 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

As much as a Mosquito doesn't necessarily fit Bodenplatte I can still see it being a popular type that would hopefully find its way into the series anyways. If the devs do another Europe scenario at some point then the Mosquito may feature more heavily there. The A-20G and J are both possible types too and with so few differences between the two of them it could be possible to do both. ... Jason's talked about the B-26 in the past too.

All of the mentioned types have some merit and could be included down the road if there's a fitting scenario, but the Mitchell Mk. II and the Ar 234 B-2 are the only real options for BoBP as only they would be usable in the game's main feature, the campaign.

Nothing I necessarily need, but the disregarded P-61 "Black Widow" would fit the BoBP map and timeframe. Its main adversaries, the Nachtschlachtgruppen, are going to be part of the ingame campaign and this might be the only feasible option for a Western Front night fighter campaign in BoX. Moreover, the P-61 itself was frequently used for (nocturnal) ground attack missions - it's like a Mosquito NF and FB combination fitting the scenario.

Edited by =27=Davesteu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, =27=Davesteu said:

Nothing I necessarily need, but the disregarded P-61 "Black Widow" would fit the BoBP map and timeframe. Its main adversaries, the Nachtschlachtgruppen, are going to be part of the ingame campaign and this might be the only feasible option for a Western Front night fighter campaign in BoX. Moreover, the P-61 itself was frequently used for (nocturnal) ground attack missions - it's like a Mosquito NF and FB combination fitting the scenario.

Oh that would make a great collector plane. I´d buy it on the spot.

Any bomber would be a great addition. The B-25 is going to be awesome when availible. As I always said, BOBP has a nice collection of plausible Collector (bombers or not) aircraft that can be used too in other scenarios or just to make money for another expansion.

Typhoon, Arado, Moskito, P-61, A/B-26, 109 G10, Spitfire Mk.XIV...

No, first the Mosquito. Instant buy from everyone.

5 hours ago, Mac_Messer said:

No, first the Mosquito. Instant buy from everyone.

Minus the "few" singleplayer-centric users wanting to use a 20$+ toy in the historical campaign and not only in the QMB - but the lack of alternatives is a real problem. Or is it?

But you are thinking of a historically fitting Mosquito PR or NF anyway, right?