Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

From what they shown i have little concernes about its FM,

level speeds they make exactly to documents, so it will be as fast as K4 at low and faster on up high alts, only at ~4-7km k4 will be faster
compared to D9 it will be as fast low, and mutch faster up high, and only slower at mid alts ~3-6km.
It will probably turn preaty good with flaps down, and 40% fuel ( youll not need more for 45-1h missions ) and climb as good.
dive speed will be good, but not as on P-47,

.50 cal are realy effective in this game how they are now, so it will be deadly

cockpit will be one of the best if not best for DF
only problem is engine timers it will get, and lack of indication when timers run out, untill indications get fixed i see no reason to play with P-47 or P-51 or any american airplane in this game
Its realy puzzling as heck why only important messages like when emergancy runs out or gets recharged dont show up on all realisam settings, and all ozher ~681 messages show up exept this 6 important ones, basicly making airplanes with timers like usaf have unatractive to me, in real ww2 pilots would be informed about this timer mumbojumbo if it would brake their engine like its now in game, so we need to be informed about it also to be able to play with airplanes on max of their ower without worry if engine will randomly brake because you as player didnt count seconds corectly

so yes who cares about its FM, they shown they make best FMs, only thing that will keep me playing on berloga in 5min DF on P-47s and P-51s and avoiding them on other servers will be lack of proper information about fantasy timers that we need to use

You may see no reason to fly it but I see plenty. P-51 will be awesome and I cant wait to fly it. If the P40 is a anything to stand by then I believe I'll do well in the Mustang as well as many other regular flyers.

Edited by SCG_Riksen

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, SCG_Riksen said:

You may see no reason to fly it but I see plenty. P-51 will be awesome and I cant wait to fly it. If the P40 is a anything to stand by then I believe I'll do well in the Mustang.

You  like P-40 because it has 500kg toilet and can dive on airfields.... :crazy:

A-1H_Skyraider_of_VA-25_with_toilet_bomb.jpg

Edited by CptSiddy
  • Haha 1

I know it's "just" a model, but it still looks great. Hopefully we will see such a skin for the pony 😄

Posted (edited)

The more I read and think about it the more I am convinced that this is one plane that I wouldn't want to be in a hurry for.

Just imagine if you managed or worked at a software company like 1C.  Here you are in a competitive environment with a dedicated and enthusiastic user base. And your product is currently outshining it's competitors on many arguable levels - graphics, fidelity, flight models, damage models, etc. 

You would be extremely foolish to take what is arguably the most well known and revered icon of the WWII air war (sorry, Spitfire guys) among every casual layperson, millennial and hausfrau and rush it in any way.  You simply can't produce an average or mediocre version knowing the audience and other versions against which it will be judged.  Your version has to be better than anything in DCS, or by A2A, or any number of other quality offerings out there.  It has to unquestionably RULE and deliver to high expectations.  It must win the hearts and minds of all current and prospective customers, and be positioned as a "flagship" of your lineup.

I have no doubt it will meet and perhaps exceed these high expectations, and am more than happy to see that happen.  However more many weeks it takes, they will go fast. 

Edited by Stoopy

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Agreed with the former.

For that latter, that'd be nice, but not necessary. They would need to implement a proper fuel handling system to make those useful. And really, they won't be: in our maps we really don't need massive range.

I feel bad about that kid. Grew up in china only to get separated from his parents by the Japanese. And then he was reunited with them only to move to Gotham and have them murdered by a grinning psycho.

Oh well. At least his taste in warbirds is spot-on. :)

Short range missions is what I want them for. The P-51 can loiter at very high speed at its cruise settings due to low drag. Hence why it has so much range. With drop tanks you could carry 25% internal fuel and tanks. Then drop them when u run into bandits. Other fighters could do this, but the P-51s low power cruise lets it get back to base easier because it needs little fuel to do so.

A P-51 at 25% fuel is like a 109 with 50% fuel in terms of flight time at full power.

Edited by Fumes

27 minutes ago, Fumes said:

Short range missions is what I want them for. The P-51 can loiter at very high speed at its cruise settings due to low drag. Hence why it has so much range. With drop tanks you could carry 25% internal fuel and tanks. Then drop them when u run into bandits. Other fighters could do this, but the P-51s low power cruise lets it get back to base easier because it needs little fuel to do so.

Yep; run on the drop tanks until combat and that 25% gives you half an hour at combat settings before rtb.:cool:

1 hour ago, Stoopy said:

You simply can't produce an average or mediocre version knowing the audience and other versions against which it will be judged.  Your version has to be better than anything in DCS

I'm sure IL2's P51 will be great. 

But it just can't "beat" the DCS one (at least on FM and system management).

9 hours ago, Stoopy said:

As Jason hails from the great state of Texas I believe, everything is bigger there including timelines, so I'd figure seven weeks.

Jason is from California like myself, which means we start and finish every sentence with "dude." 😄 

• Like 1

I'm from California originally, so I still have some "dude" left in me.

Posted (edited)

Makes 3 of us!  Born in Pomona '61 and lived all up and down the golden state until leaving in' 96.  My other hobby is playing instrumental surf guitar a la Dick Dale so I hear ya dudes!!!  😁

Edited by Stoopy

14 hours ago, Fumes said:

please oh please be a 72 or 75inch mustang.

It would only be fair, when comparing the K4 and its engine options TBH.

33 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I'm from California originally, so I still have some "dude" left in me.

Same...Ventura originally, now in Oregon

On 7/24/2019 at 9:21 PM, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Thats not quite the way I read that when taken as a total. His replies taken together seem to indicate all of the aircraft are in progress and will be released as they are completed. They may be released together if that’s how the timing works out or they may be released individually for the same reason.

“At the moment we plan to make all four planes available in one huge update at the end of September”. 

16 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Jason is from California like myself, which means we start and finish every sentence with "dude." 😄 

Is that the new hit song, 'Hey Dude'?  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

I'm sure IL2's P51 will be great. 

But it just can't "beat" the DCS one (at least on FM and system management).

Of course it could on FM. IL-2's FM is pretty durn good, and DCS can have some very wonky modeling at times.

System management, however, is definitely DCS' strong suit.

• Upvote 2

On 7/25/2019 at 2:47 PM, LuseKofte said:

That is the well proven airframe doing extreemly well at low altitude. 

I was talking about the merged griffon /p51

it was pretty unclear I admit. That is life for people with bad english

Merlin 😉

Imagine a Griffon in a P-51 Airframe.......🚀

25 minutes ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

Merlin 😉

Heck yeah then all we'd need is a Red Baron skin... I already found a nice spot on the Kuban map that's perfect for some Reno-style air racing!!!

😝

29 minutes ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

Merlin 😉

I guess this comparison is superficial but I think the Martin Baker MB5 gave an indication of what a Griffon powered 'stang would be like.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

Merlin 😉

Damn I left my mind somewhere. I need to go find it. Cheers

8 minutes ago, LuseKofte said:

Damn I left my mind somewhere. I need to go find it. Cheers

There was some design proposals but, iirc, the engine was to  placed mid fuselage like the P-39,  -63.

17 hours ago, AndytotheD said:

“At the moment we plan to make all four planes available in one huge update at the end of September”. 

*At the moment.....

I hope there will be some nice Reno Racing skins for the Mustang, same as there should be Lefty Gardners „White Lightning“ for the P-38 (despite being a different type).

My opinion is just mine and not worth more than others.

That said my god I hope they dont release all 4 at end of September. For one then all complaints and tweaks will need to happen to 4 planes at once.

Second... Itll just take longer.

I prefer this system - we all get to get up to speed with the new airframe, we all geta bone to appease us for a mnth or two, and if the FM or whatever needs tweaks they can do it.

Idk Im just not liking this new idea.

• Upvote 1

My suspicion is that the new fuel tank system is being worked along side the 51 and is being retro fitted to all other planes and the Devs don't want to release, say, the P-38 only to have to patch it later once the new fuel system is ready. Better to wait until the new systems are finished and can be applied to all planes yet to be released.

Just a shot in the dark.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

My suspicion is that the new fuel tank system is being worked along side the 51 and is being retro fitted to all other planes and the Devs don't want to release, say, the P-38 only to have to patch it later once the new fuel system is ready. Better to wait until the new systems are finished and can be applied to all planes yet to be released.

Just a shot in the dark.

I think you are right. Or a similar case. 

Whatever reason they choose. It is probably a good reason. 4 ac need a long testrun though

14 hours ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

Merlin 😉

The RAF actually did, though the aircraft was never finished. A handful of P-51B airframes were purchased by Rolls-Royce for testing purposes, with intent to stuff a Griffon engine in there. It didn't quite fit in the nose, so...

image.png.425cd59c6e86b0e2357b5756390bcca0.png

image.png.2cf9086c3d22d16e9117eb00fb075cb8.png

The project was deemed low priority and the idea of making the Mustang faster was thrown out once jet fighters began actually began to show promise

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Besides making the airframe lighter, instead of just bolting on a more powerful engine, made the airplane plaenty fast.

See the XP-51F and G and the eventual P-51H. It was too late for prime time, but did well in ANG and reserve service and it was quite a performer.

BTW:

The "MUST-be-ANG" name is already reserved to my post-war Mustang, as well as "My Sharona" (P-51B/C) and "Dr. Feelgood" (P-51D).

Sorry folks.

Edited by Bremspropeller

12 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

I hope there will be some nice Reno Racing skins for the Mustang, same as there should be Lefty Gardners „White Lightning“ for the P-38

I am SOOOOOOO down with some air racing!!!

20 hours ago, III/JG53Frankyboy said:

Merlin 😉

Gents you don't have to imagine it - just look into the Precious Metal Reno racer - also there was the Red Baron, sadly no longer with us, although the pilot (Steve Hinton) luckily survived. 

Awesome birds even though I'm a Rare Bear fan!!!

PreciousMetal.jpg

PreciousMetalInfligh2t.jpg

RedBaronGriffon.jpg

RedBaronInflight.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

LOL, none of those are actually P-51 Mustangs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Just a shot in the dark.

A shot in the dark but a very good one. We know they are working on stuff like that and the Mustang and Lightning are ideal aircraft to introduce it on. Actually so is the Tempest with four separate tanks of its own. So there may be a reason for the clustering. I think you're onto something.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I am SOOOOOOO down with some air racing!!!

I’m going to Reno this year, finally.

23 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

The RAF actually did, though the aircraft was never finished. A handful of P-51B airframes were purchased by Rolls-Royce for testing purposes, with intent to stuff a Griffon engine in there. It didn't quite fit in the nose, so...

:blink: Thank god it was never finished.

Where the NASA got Werner von Braun, RR must have had the bad luck to get some Blohm and Voss engineers...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

A shot in the dark but a very good one. We know they are working on stuff like that and the Mustang and Lightning are ideal aircraft to introduce it on. Actually so is the Tempest with four separate tanks of its own. So there may be a reason for the clustering. I think you're onto something.

There may definitely be something in that. I was wondering about the fuel management system improvements they had mentioned they were working on. Seemed to go quiet on that recently.

When you add all the upcoming features that have been announced there will really be quite monumental changes to the sim and to game-play. it is a real body of work they have committed to beyond the actual new aircraft and maps. We have:

pilot physiology

AI improvements

air marshal

repairing, refuelling, refitting

visibility extended to 100km

fuel system modelling 

cockpit fire effects for aircraft

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kendo said:

There may definitely be something in that. I was wondering about the fuel management system improvements they had mentioned they were working on. Seemed to go quiet on that recently.

When you add all the upcoming features that have been announced there will really be quite monumental changes to the sim and to game-play. it is a real body of work they have committed to beyond the actual new aircraft and maps. We have:

pilot physiology

AI improvements

air marshal

repairing, refuelling, refitting

fuel system modelling 

cockpit fire effects for aircraft

For sure. And so the last patch, as much as everyone was feeling a bit underwhelmed about it (even though its a fine patch), is really all about clearing the deck for some major updates in a few months time. Kuban was sort of the same way where the biggest updates needed to come all at once.

12 minutes ago, kendo said:

You mean player visibility or horizon. 

Because, as i predicted in one of my threads, the 262 is suffering from 9km visibility bubble up high. 

Take it you haven't read the latest DD?

Visibility of aircraft and ships...