BornToBattle

Prop Spinners No Longer Animated

Posted (edited)

As the title says, I've only noticed this since the last update and only last night so don't know if something became corrupted on my end or what but the spinner animation on the FW's, the 109's and the Bf110's either don't animate at all or incorrectly. The Ju-87 seems fine, the JU-88, the P-40 and the A-20 also. Didn't run every plane down for testing though. The animation on all the planes (that don't have animated spinners anymore) if viewed outside - when you first start from a parked position all seem to want to turn for about a second or two when moving slowly at first, then suddenly freeze or stops the spinning animation. The prop itself turns and is animated fine, it's the spinner on some planes that suddenly seems to have lost it's coding or something to animate the spin graphic. Any spiral strip on the spinner stays in one spot as the prop is whizzing around as usual. Strange to say the least. First noticed it while flying quick combat on the FW190 D-9 when I went to look at it from the outside view. 

I'll lay money on it once again I'm the only one with this problem, naturally. I have  a bad feeling something got corrupted after all this time of being flawless. Just as a note this is in VR running the latest drivers. Just tested once again to be sure and had all 109's, FW's up on both sides and all spinner animations have ceased to exist anymore.

Ugh.

Edited by BornToBattle

This could be effect of another goal - to get rid off artefacts when using motion reprojection. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

This could be effect of another goal - to get rid off artefacts when using motion reprojection. 

Hmm..motion reproduction. Also only noticed this after Steam VR did it’s updated just before I flew, though I think it’s more of a coincidence since the update had to do with motion controllers. 

With nobody else reporting this regardless of reasoning behind it I guess I'm the only one with the problem then which means a total reinstall. Or....ditch Steam VR and run OpenComposite and see if that settles some woes.

Edited by BornToBattle

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

On VR propeller is not animated same as in 2d mode since last patch.

So to make sure...Tomcat do you fly in VR and experiencing no spinner animation with the FW190 (as just one example)? Some planes do, some planes now don’t. If this is indeed the case I wonder why more aren’t on here griping? As if I’m the only one I guess.

I just downloaded the whole sim again and it STILL PERSIST. Exact same problem even after a reinstall.

And thanks! I appreciate you taking the time for your feedback!

Edited by BornToBattle

Seeing this as well, slow or no animations on spinners, mostly noticed on the 110 variants. Also the prop animation for the Sopwith Dolphin is broken. The prop blur does not move at all, but sits in one position. If you start a QMB in the air, the blur is positioned central to you field of view and does not drift around as it does on other planes. If you start on the ground, the position can have an offset rotation, but it still does not move. This can also be observed on AI Dolphins.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 1:54 AM, Hellequin13 said:

Seeing this as well, slow or no animations on spinners, mostly noticed on the 110 variants. Also the prop animation for the Sopwith Dolphin is broken. The prop blur does not move at all, but sits in one position. If you start a QMB in the air, the blur is positioned central to you field of view and does not drift around as it does on other planes. If you start on the ground, the position can have an offset rotation, but it still does not move. This can also be observed on AI Dolphins.

Yup. This is what I’m getting also. Funny thing is on the planes with no spinner animation if you go outside view and set levers where they belong, hit the keyboard command to start and watch the animation for a brief second or two - the  spinner animation seems to want to work - but only for a brief second or so before going static.

First noticed this days ago after latest update but now how many days into the update it was I’m unsure of. Was flying an FW190 D-9 in quick combat and want to the outside view to see what damage was caused out of a recent pass and went into the “things that make you say hmmm” mode when I saw the black spinner with the white swirl not in motion! Whoa. Dis ain’t right! Then like above post began finding it on numerous aircraft, but not all for some bizarre reason as we yet to find out why. The prop animation works fine through all of this, it’s just the stupid spinners that seemed to have gotten some coding whacked - or whatever!

The kick in the teeth came when I did a complete uninstall thinking I had files corrupted and upon re-install the problem still persisted! Argh!

Like opening a Christmas present on Christmas morning and expecting it to be that 1/32 scale model kit you were eyeballing and dropping hints over for months only to discover it’s a used Amazon shipping box with two sets of Haynes sweat socks in it.

...sigh...

Edited by BornToBattle

In real life 99% of the time you dont see the propeller, you might barely notice it at sunset or dawn if the prop is at the right angle with the sun, rest of the time you dont see it in your plane or planes flying near you.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:29 AM, II./JG77_motoadve said:

In real life 99% of the time you dont see the propeller, you might barely notice it at sunset or dawn if the prop is at the right angle with the sun, rest of the time you dont see it in your plane or planes flying near you.

Prop animation works fine...it’s the prop SPINNER that’s not working correctly...

CF3E58B4-6422-4457-9A54-B2834540D853.jpeg

4 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Prop animation works fine...it’s the prop SPINNER that’s not working correctly...

CF3E58B4-6422-4457-9A54-B2834540D853.jpeg

That is no good then.

Make a bug report in the bug reports section of the Forum documenting the bug (should be pretty easy to do with video of external views) and I would also maybe send it directly to support.

Probably when they made the changes to deal with prop graphics in VR issue it got broken on some planes and then was missed as most people don't spend a lot of time in external views or seeing enemy or friendly planes in a way where you would notice the spinners arent moving. Its a shame it wasn't noticed earlier and could have been included in the last hotfix. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

Make a bug report in the bug reports section of the Forum documenting the bug (should be pretty easy to do with video of external views) and I would also maybe send it directly to support.

Probably when they made the changes to deal with prop graphics in VR issue it got broken on some planes and then was missed as most people don't spend a lot of time in external views or seeing enemy or friendly planes in a way where you would notice the spinners arent moving. Its a shame it wasn't noticed earlier and could have been included in the last hotfix. 

Just fired off a ticket via support. We’ll see what happens. Thanks again for your support too! I thought it was just me.